Tim Buckley / Complete Album Collection: 8CD box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hulloder72, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

He was touring with the more conventional or softer 'Starsailor' songs in his set from Dec 69 - Spring 1970, the career suicide was over the following 8 months of mad impromptu head-scratch inducing live work, at the end of which no-one was (re-)booking him. Understandable, to a degree. Still the post-release tour would be great to hear, we have the two TV shows on YouTube to go on at least. Aren't those guys just 100% in love with what they and Tim were doing? It looks like they weren't in it for the groupies.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Hep Alien and RockRoom like this.
  2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

No doubt Tim's band was in it for the ride..they had to know they were in the middle of something historic...probably no
    different than Charlie Parker's sidemen, who had to stop listening to him otherwise they would mess up their parts..in other words
    they, just like the audience, were in total awe.

Of course there are some boots from subsequent tours, but not that many.

3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I was going to price out a copy of this box, but it's showing "Unavailable" on Amazon US. Is it out of print already?

4. It isn't out of print--my guess is that Amazon didn't order enough (this has been a problem with them miscalculating on sales of certain titles lately) or chose not to order it at all. It's being carried at Amazon Canada and that's where I got my copy from.

The box has been remastered and sounds decent but is a bit bright sounding to me.

Runicen likes this.
  5. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Just opened up my copy. Got it as a birthday present - US edition (I think).

Just paper sleeves reproducing the vinyl artwork - no booklet

Nice touch - they reproduced the gatefold sleeves for Goodbye/Hello, Blue Afternoon, and Greetings from LA.

Running EAC now. I'll post findings.

Cheers,
    Paul

6. :shtiphat:
    It is a pretty nice sounding set IMHO. None of these ever have booklets but they do make an effort to reproduce the sleeves and they are pretty good (not Japanese quality goood but a step up from the Original Album series with larger sleeves, better quality artwork and the inside of the sleeves are a bit smoother). I ordered som of the thin plastic sleeves that are used for Japanese reissues and threw them in there. There isn't any printing on the spine if you are looking for exact replicas.

Oh and Happy Birthday!

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Hi everyone,

I've been comparing the new release to the "Original Album Series". From what I remember - the "Original Album Series" discs were just the original Restless Retro/Rhino discs.

I've compared Tim Buckley and Goodbye and Hello and the EAC (XLD) peak values do not match.

Haven't listened to them yet - that's next.

Cheers,
    Paul

Runicen likes this.
  8. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

One more thing - I focused on Song For Jainie and tried to do a null test in Audacity. I normalized the overall volume of both files - aligned on a sample common between them - and mixed. Oddly enough - they were already inverted against each other.

They are off by samples - one is running slightly faster. Very slightly - by the end of the Mix and Render, it sounded like a slap echo.

So - good news - appears to be a new remaster - and not squashed. I'm going to take a look at Blue Afternoon and Starsailor next. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

P.S. I'll have to switch to my PC to get DR values. This Mac only has XLD. :)

Runicen likes this.
  9. That's because these have been remastered. I don't know if yours had a hype sticker or not but it was something that got my attention.
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Runicen, Oyster Boy and Rgfinch like this.
  10. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

There's a sticker - I didn't read it though. I'll check it out when I get home.

Interesting run thru the DR database. The original album series discs have better DR - which I'd kind of expect - but these aren't terrible. Slightly less dynamic - but nothing super bad. (Well - Lorca is a 9, but historically, that's been an odd sounding release anyway.)

Cheers,
    Paul

11. Some of that could be influenced by EQ, etc. not to be a stickler (pardon the pun...sticker, stickler).

12. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Yeah - I was wondering about that too. It doesn't seem super limited - I was listening to lossless rips at work today from all the discs.

And yeah - my sticker says remastered. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

13. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

I understand some of the last performances of this Starsailor band were with Emmett Chapman - of Chapman Stick fame. I don't think any of these recordings exist, though.

Cheers,
    Paul

14. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

15. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Can anyone help by giving their views of the SQ on this set. I'm contemplating grabbing a set :D I currently only have an old
    CD of Greetings' - a fabulous, underestimated album :wave:

Hep Alien and Scope J like this.
  16. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

A little bump........

17. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

A little bit bigger bump.................. ;)

18. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

A big whopping bump - anyone hear this CD set ?

19. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

if you only have one album you need more

Oyster Boy and Clonesteak like this.
  20. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm going blind in my old age, it seems :laugh: I've pushed the button and the set is flying over to the Wugged household from the Brazilian rainforest.......... :D

Oyster Boy likes this.
  22. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I don't think you will regret pushing the button:)

Hep Alien and Wugged like this.
  23. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

One quick note. I don't believe Rhino put Wings: The Complete Singles 1966-1974 together. That was Omnivore, I believe - based on an e-mail conversation I had with them. See here: Tim Buckley - Wings: The Complete Singles 1966–1974

UPDATE: It looks like Omnivore licensed the recordings from both Elektra Entertainment Group and Manifesto - which makes sense considering the parties involved. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Okay - I want to get some consensus on this.

I was listening to Happy Sad from this set. Let's call it Happy Sad (remastered).

I have lossless rips on my computer I listen to on headphones at work. Around Gypsy Woman or so - I started noticing something. In headphones, Tim's voice was "blurred". It didn't stay centered - it seemed to shift. Like the frequency response wasn't consistent - high frequencies skewed right, low frequencies left.

I jumped ahead to Sing A Song For You for a track of mostly just his voice. Wow - smear city.

On a hunch - I dug out my Original Album Series version - which I believe is the original CD mastering- and jumped ahead to Sing A Song For You. Rock solid in comparison. Slightly brighter too.

Now - I know that no mixing consoles are 100% perfect - but this smearing is not subtle. I'm not talking audiophile here - I'm talking glaring.

Spot checks of other tracks on Happy Sad (remastered) seem okay. Seems to start in Gypsy Woman and get progressively worse. I'm wondering if it's either tape wear, mis-calibration, or a head getting clogged during a transfer.

Anyone else able to confirm this on both the remaster and original? I think you'll need headphones to really hear it.

Cheers,
    Paul

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Just ordered this box. Pretty excited!

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.