Time Travel Movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Even if I wasn't quite blown away by the implications, I still enjoyed the movie quite a bit. My daughter just pointed out the me the element of the "facial incident" which I hadn't put together. Now I see...

Rocker likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the new "found footage" film Project Almanac is another time travel movie, this time with teenagers messing with time travel and causing chaos and destruction...

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

so, what do you think of this?

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It comes out on DVD/BR on Feb. 10th. :)

I'm always interested in time travel flicks, and now that I see this one was directed by the guys who did Daybreakers and Undead, I'm even more intrigued... I'll have to check it out!

5. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    No budget movie , but very good.

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Trailers look great. If they can avoid the stupid mistakes made in movies like The Butterfly Effect, maybe it'll be good. Ya never know with these low-budget indie things...

7. Michael

it definitely piqued my interest...

8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

9. Michael likes this.
  10. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

'Trancers' is an 80s noir film which takes place in a dystopian future where "trancers" or robotic aliens inhabit the bodies of humans, and a squad of detectives tries to eliminate them. The plot gets fairly intricate, and the ability to travel to the past is made available to the detectives by a process of taking over the body of one of their ancestors in the time to which they travel.

It is heavily influenced by 'Bladerunner' but it has its own charm. Its got a small, but devoted cult following, and there are actually several sequels as well.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Definitely a massive mindf**k movie.... I agree that the "loop" is probably not even possible, but still an intriguing premise.

Michael and cwsiggy like this.
  12. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

You think Predestination is a confusing time travel movie?...have you watched Primer?
    >>>

13. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

La Jetée.
    And, as a bonus, here's a time travel joke:

The barman says: "We don't serve time travellers in here."
    A time traveller walks into a bar.

Rocker likes this.
  14. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Watched Richard Curtis' "About Time" on New Year's Eve and found it absolutely charming and delightful (despite plot holes and suspect time traveling logic).

15. music4life

music4life Senior Member

"The Philadelphia Experiment" is a pretty good time travel film starring Michael Pare and Nancy Allen from 1984.
    The special effects are a bit cheesy, but not a bad film.

16. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

One of my favorite time travel books "Replay" was optioned by Ben Afleck years ago. Wonder what's going on with that?

17. Michael

probably nothing unfortunately...maybe google can help?

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

What always bothered me about Superman altering the past in Superman - The Movie is that it went against the comic book canon of the time (although that has no bearing on movies). At that time in DC Comics one of the rules concerning time travel is that if someone travels to a point in time where they already exist the time traveler becomes a phantom. They can observe events but can't interact with anyone or anything and cannot alter history. Of course, the rules have changed a few times since then...

Vidiot likes this.
  19. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

"Idiocracy" works for the suspended animation type of time travel story :D

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

No one mentioned A Cristmas Carol? A Ghost story with time traveling, resulting in the life-changing transformation of a man's character.

longdist01, Chris DeVoe and Michael like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What's very interesting is that in the original script, Superman did not spin around the planet and turn back time. He simply got to Lois in time, grabbed the H-bomb, threw it off the earth and into deep space... where it exploded and opened up the Phantom Zone, releasing the villains. The film was going to end on a freeze-frame, basically saying, "To Be Continued in SUPERMAN II!" But they jettisoned that in favor of the ending they ultimately went with, which I think was the weakest part of the film.

22. Michael

if there ever was one! inspirational indeed...

23. Michael

yes...in the collection...

24. Michael

yea... the future...

25. Michael

I enjoyed the heck out of this! who cares if it's possible or not...it's fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.