Tips on the best sweat-proof headphones for workouts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wipin Dsser, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Headphones are a bad, bad idea for working out, in my opinion. I also think they look ridiculous, but clearly I'm wrong since I often see many idiots, uh... people wearing $400 Beats headphones at the gym.

2. Wipin Dsser

Wipin Dsser Active Member Thread Starter

Some people call it headphones, others call it earbuds. I don't get what you're saying. Are you talkng about those big ones over the years like this?

[​IMG]

Cause i'm talking about this ones:

[​IMG]

3. Wipin Dsser

Sorry, it's "ears", not "years".

4. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member

I use Grado igi's they work great

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Headphones: large headsets that completely cover the ears. (There are some that rest on the ears vs. covering the ears, but it's semantics.)

Earbuds: miniature speakers that insert inside the ear. (Also called earphones.)

Very different. Sennheiser earbuds for some reason are not that popular in America. Lots of earbud & headphone fans over on the HeadFi Forum. I think a good case can be made that at a high enough price point, there's not a lot of difference in sound quality between earbuds and headphones, but we're talking a 4-figure price tag.

6. Wipin Dsser

Most of the brands i know use only the word "headphone", and most people too, but they differentiate the phone types as "in-ear headphones", "on-ear headphones" and "over-ear headphones". I guess the word "earbud" is more of an american thing. Stores in Europe don't call it that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But I thought America ruled the world!

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I've been using a pair of Monsters at the gym, not the Victory but a slightly lower model branded with Lance Armstrong's Livestrong organization (got em cheap after his, ahem, issues). Good isolation, decent bass, and purportedly sweat proof (no issues yet). I would say they seem more particular than other brands about how they are seated in your ears and the cord seems to transmit a bit more thud than necessary if it starts bouncing around. But otherwise I'm pretty satisfied.

Wipin Dsser likes this.
  9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I've never visited this thread before, but I'm resurrecting it to see if anyone has experience with these, especially with regard to sound quality:
    http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Actio...+shq5200&pebp=1422999612357&peasin=B00BB7MS2Y

I just can't do earbuds. I'm looking for decent sounding headphones for the iPod that I can use on a jog or even a brisk walk--no marathons or anything. But I don't want to drop $75 on these if someone here says "They suck!" :)

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

11. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I have purchased many, many types of both expensive and cheap headphones for the gym. All of them break, some sooner than others. I am using the Brainwavz Delta earphones currently ($20 at Amazon) and they are fantastic. Sound decent and have not fallen apart yet after six months of heavy gym use. If they fall apart tomorrow, I'll just pick up another set for $20.

Worst were the "waterproof" earphones by Monster that were designed for the gym and cost $150. They lasted a grand total of two days before shorting out. Garbage.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

These
    http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iEP322ORG-City-Lights-Earphones/dp/B004PEIG76
    sound quite nice on my ears/brain, and I am pretty picky about any boominess or sizzle or exaggeration. For $6.50 you simply cannot go wrong. Buy them by the dozen! (There are newer flat cord models, though these have been "discontinued" for a year and still in stock in various colors).

I think damage issues are likely to not be sweat, but the cords whipping around and breaking internally at the connection point. I tuck the ends near my ears into my shirt or something, so they are not flapping wildly.

If sweat IS a problem, probably one should put the bigger size rubber inserts on, to make a tighter seal.

As for bass in headphones, it depends a LOT on your particular ears and how well sealed the headphones are. Not very sealed = leaking bass = weak sound. But a super tight seal can also sound bad, odd but true.

13. marry93

marry93 New Member

I have a pair of Sony Walkman NWZW274S, is one of the best waterproof earbuds on the market. with the sound quality and performance and gives a comfortable fits to your ears and extra-bass music to boost.
    i'm not fear while swimming.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I guess this thread has escaped my notice until this most recent bump.

I use the Ultimate Ears triple.fi pro. They sound good, but more importantly the cord can be replaced so when it shorts out you don't have to toss the entire set of earbuds. I know that UE was bought out by Logitech a while ago, so I'm not even sure whether these are still made and, if they are, whether the quality is the same.

I mostly wanted to post here to address the sweat situation: I used to have a problem with sound becoming garbled in my earbuds due to sweat getting into the drivers after long periods of cardio. They'd return to normal after drying out, though, so I got the idea to put a silica packet in the earbuds' carrying case in between uses. Problem solved! I guess the earbuds weren't really drying out completely on their own, so the problem with moisture build up kept returning during long workouts. The silica packet absorbs enough moisture that I haven't had this problem since I started using it. Cost of solution: a new pair of shoes. (Not all, but many, shoes come with a silica packet or two, presumably to protect the leather from becoming damaged with mold/mildew while they sit in a warehouse or store.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.