To Barry Diament...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by motorcitydave, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam Thread Starter

Why does the Danzig I cd sound worse than the lp? Does it need to be remastered?

Thanks in advance.

-MCD

2. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi motorcitydave,

We're going back a long way for this one. I'm guessing, not remembering, that Atlantic "credited" :)-0) me for this one.

If I recall correctly, I mastered that CD from a digital (u-matic) tape created during the vinyl mastering, so it contained all the EQ and limiting used on the vinyl. Since I didn't make the original transfer to digital, I can't speak of the converters, cabling, etc used or how the machines were set up.

Since I made no changes to the sound from that tape, in addition to hearing the initial digital transfer that created that tape, when you make the comparison with the LP (assuming the LP mastering is from the session that created the tape I used), the inherent differences in the media come into play.

Also, the equipment used for digital mastering at the time would have an effect. I don't remember if we had the 1630 at that time or if Atlantic still had its 1610.

All that said, in my experience, when ever a CD is compared to vinyl, the CD does not fare so well. Certainly during the early days of CD, I would say this was univerally true (even when the vinyl was heavily processed and the CD was not!). I haven't made such a comparison recently but I wouldn't be surprised to see vinyl still having the edge (and I'm talking resolution potential, not "pleasant analog colorations").

Does it "need to be remastered"? Well, given the original masters, I'm sure I could make it sound better than I did when I was given a heavily processed digital copy.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

3. motorcitydave

Well, thank you for that informative response...yes, the vinyl is far less closed-in than the cd. And Glenn Danzig is right in your living room belting it out on the vinyl whereas on the cd, he sounds like he's in the recording booth. You can barely hear Eerie Von's bass lines on the cd, and the drums have at least twice the impact on the vinyl.

My point was (and is) an important album that has stood the test of time like 'Danzig,' deserves a remastering that would do this album justice.

But, this is up to Rick Rubin, true? Seeing the big fallout between Glenn Danzig and Rick, I dunno if I would hold my breath. However, Rick stands a chance to make a lot of cash if he chooses remaster the Danzig catalog.

Take care and thanks a mil for your time tonight.

-MCD

4. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I don't know anything about Danzig...just a quick message to thank you, Barry for being so nice about answering questions like the one from Dave, above. It is very cool of you to be so generous when responding to forum questions about some of your past work. We are very fortunate to have you here! :wave:

5. motorcitydave

6. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your kind feedback.
    A lot of the questions really test some old memory cells but I try my best.

I consider myself quite fortunate to have found myself a part of this community of music lovers. If my posts offer something for others, I'm very glad.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

7. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Barry: As a guy who's still on the steep side of the learning curve here,I'd like to echo Mike's comments. When Steve and you post, I listen and learn.....Thank you.... :righton:

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Mr Diament is one classy guy indeed. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.