To Oppo, or not to Oppo...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bystander, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bystander

bystander Forum Resident Thread Starter

I play records and CDs only, no streaming. My set-up is vintage two-channel stereo with regular analog inputs. My CD player is a Tascam 160 which I am very pleased with. However, I have a small but growing number of Audio Fidelity SACDs that I play simply as CDs.

If I got an Oppo player, would the sound be that much better for my SACDs even though I’d only be using the analog outs from the player for two-channel stereo? Would I be hearing anything that much different from how I’m currently listening to them?

If yes, I’d consider getting either a used 93 or 103 or maybe even a new 203 (the "05" models are beyond my budget). Is there much difference in the two-channel audio between the 93/103/203?

Thanks in advance.

2. PMCH

PMCH Member

If you are only looking to listen to CDs and SACDs you may want to purchase a dedicated CD/SACD player. You could also purchase a new Oppo 203 from Oppo, try it for 30 days and send it back if it doesn't meet your needs, that way you will have the newest DACs.

saturdayboy and tmtomh like this.
  3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have a 95, and am very happy with the analogue out into my vintage amps. Everything sounds good, an improvement on my Marantz CD94. I have some SACDs, but don't have the redbooks to do a comparison.

My unit has a heat sink put onto one of the chips which runs hot, dynamat on the underside of the lid, and a multi-region mod (all installed by the seller I bought from new).

The 95 has a cooling fan, which I wish was a bit quieter, but it is designed for audiophile sound. It also takes about 30mins to warm up to best audio sound.

I also use it for video, and the dvd/blu-ray quality is much better than my previous video player. It has also been great to have the usb input on the front. I didn't expect to use that for playing flac (and some mp3 when there is no alternative), and also avi and other computer video files (for movies, etc which friends give me).

4. I've been thinking about one also. I wanted an all around disc player that can handle most formats and the XLR outputs. They say it has 4.4.4 and BT.2020 color space but dont specify at what bit rate. That might be the deal breaker for me. While waiting for the release I chose to go with an Nvidia Shield and using an external DAC. Would it be better to rip discs on a computer and setup a network media server? Im almost sold on the OPPO but waiting for you all to convince me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Doesn't the SACD layer on that only play out through HDMI?

I'll never buy another expensive blu-ray player again.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Expensive?!? OPPO's aren't expensive...

The Beave likes this.
  7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have an Oppo BDP-105 and I think it is a genius piece of hardware. You might look into buying a used one but they hold their prices very well considering they are a digital product. It has excellent sound although I usually play music through a Gungnir Multibit. I would not hesitate to buy another Oppo.

8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The answer is always, of course, to Oppo.

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Wax- you gotta petition the legislature there to allow you to bring in stuff for personal use without a heavy tariff. Not meant as a political statement, just to give you some relief!

12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I got a nused 103 recently barely used for $350 shipped so they are out there.

tmtomh and audiomixer like this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not only that but the first "question" he posted is untrue.

14. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I don't know if the sound quality will be better than your CD player. You should try to get it from company that allow returns.
    As for me, I have 203. The analog out quality is just so so. I prefer my Emotive DAC and even my Pioneer receiver's DAC.

15. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Correct.

Aside from the fact that the DAC in the Oppo is probably newer and better, you won't hear a difference.

Having said that, hearing a multi-channel SACD played on my Oppo UDP-203 through a proper 5.1 setup can be awesome and far, far preferable to the redbook CD.

16. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I picked up an Oppo 83SE a month ago for a 2-channel (RCAs), audio only system. I have been using an Onkyo 7555 for many years and have always been content with it (FWIW I believe Stereophile had it as a class 'B' component) and was prepared to view the 83SE as a sideways move, soundwise ,but I was really surpised by how much better it sounds. Even If SQ alone is a major consideration for you, I'd say go for an Oppo.

Shawn and tmtomh like this.
  17. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

Hi. To be honest, i cannot answer your question directly as i don't know the Tascam. Maybe an extract of a best of list (German Hifi mag "Stereoplay" 9/2016) can help (the numbers refer to the analogue output quality only, higher = "better"):

Pioneer BDP-LX 88 => 60 points (list price ~1500€, street < 1000€)
    Oppo 105D => 55
    Cambridge Azure CXU/752BD => 54
    Arcam UDP 411 => 53
    Marantz UD 707 => 51
    Denon DBT 3311 => 50
    Oppo 103D => 48

There are few players with even better ratings (>60) ... but much more expensive ...

In my ears, the 60 points Pioneer is not as good as a classic Sony ES CDP (5xx, 7xx). On the digital side they are all quite even (64+ points) ... and to my ears, this is even better than my old Sony (here: prefer digital over analogue now!) ...

Nevertheless, i'd go for a universal player (think of all that special stuff on DVD/BD) ... and preferably for an OPPO ... imho better firmware Support (current players), you can access the player menus via app afaik (i.e. no need for a TV etc. in a stereo setup), 103 even decodes HDCD (203 not - chipset does not support that any more), 103 can rip SACD to ISO image (see also Pioneer BDP 160/170 - it really works!), detailed device Display, lots of interfaces for audio/video/USB.

18. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

I second the suggestion of a used 105. I have one used for 2 channel and TV and after a lot of reading about the 205 I see no reason to change. If your set-up is a good and revealing one, 105s are a substantial step up from the 103 for 2 channel sound IMO. As all of the must-have-the-latest folks scramble for the 205 the 105s will be bargains. Ebay is getting crowded with them. Besides, the 105s (like the 103s) have some useful features that the new ones do not. By the way, there's really great entertainment to be had for free on youtube using a quality unit like the Oppo and a good sound system with TV.

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I had an Oppo as a DVD player and the video was excellent. I never was thrilled by the audio even with a tube amp. So I guess I am a negative vote on getting an Oppo as a music player. Get a dedicated player or an Esoteric, but for the latter even the lower models are pricey.

20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The 103D used to retail for $899, but could be bought for less. The 103/105's are now discontinued in favor of the 203's & 205's, which are $549 & $1,299 respectively. These are now 4K players. The Darbee edition, seems to have gone away.

You can buy a 103D refurbished for $422 on eBay.

You can buy a World Wide Voltage edition for new for $699.

21. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Oppo's are good machines for video. I think they sound Boring/Bright for audio. I wouldn't get one just for Audio. I seconded the dedicated CD/SACD unit that doesn't do any video.

krlpuretone likes this.
  22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The above discussion is interesting, but I don't think it's addressing the OP's concern.

Disclosure: I am definitely an SACD format skeptic.

If it's certain your only concern is that the SACD layer will sound better than the Redbook layer – and then only on a tiny few AF hybrid discs – I'd say spending on an SACD player will yield little, if any, difference.

I've done a few such specific comparisons (on a Pioneer universal before I got my Oppo 103) of AF discs. The only one on which SACD was marginally better was Close To The Edge. But I wouldn't buy a whole new disc player over it.

The quality factor in the AF discs is their marvelous mastering.

If your Tascam has digital outs, I'd recommend a nice new outboard DAC. Much better chance of improvement.

BuckNaked and tmtomh like this.
  23. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I have a top-line Cambridge blu-ray and AVR in my home system. And gotta tell you - surround sound is FREAKING AWESOME ON MUSIC. If your gear is good enough, that is. I'd rather have an excellent two-channel setup than a mediocre surround setup. But an excellent surround system? To die for.

Dan Steele and pdxway like this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The cost of the 103D from Oppo was $599 not $899. The OP is looking for a player in an audio only system so the 103D with Darbee processing would not be needed. I've seen plenty of used 103s going for right around $350. Who is selling the "refurbished" 103Ds on eBay?

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I thought is was a bit high. I remembered the Darby edition to be about $100 more than the regular 103.
    Since I did not remember the price, I did a Google search and it was at the top of a review.

The other refurbished unit was a sponsored link in the upper right corner of the search results, together with the world voltage link.

Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray player BluRay Blueray +FREE SHIPPING & WARRANTY!

I doubt if I would buy a Darbee edition, either way. Don't know why the Darbee edition came up in the first place.

A couple of years back I bought a 93 instead of a 103, just to avoid the mandatory Blu-ray crap that was introduced after the 93 model. I bought it on eBay for $300 and change. It was sold as a refurbished unit. When I received it, it appeared to be a brand new unit, fresh out of the box.

I use it only as a CD transport, to the ESS Saber DAC in the iNova. Otherwise, the HDMI outputs the Blu-ray to the processor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.