To Oppo, or not to Oppo...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bystander, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd even buy a 105 with faulty drive mecanhzem, just so long as the Audio decoding to multichannel works to the RCA outputs. I need one between my server and receiver, as a multi-chan DAC.

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I'll have to pass this along to my friend. He mistakenly misinformed me. Yeah...not knowing they were Chinese...and I don't think they'd sell out to a Japanese company.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 95 can not rip SACDs. Different MediaTek chipset than the 103 and 105.

These are the players listed in the link below from the Computer Audiophile site:

Mediatek chips MT8580 (like Oppo 103/105, Cambridge Audio 752bd/cxu, Pioneer bdp-lx58/88 ) or MT8560 (like Pioneer BDP-160/170 and 180)

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

PhantomStranger likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Saw a 95 on sale at ebay claiming SACD ripping ability. A liar I guess. Gotta watch out for them.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That and one needs to do some basic searches to find the facts. The information really isn't that hard to find.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh Thanks so much for your advice. Glad it isn't hard to find.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Googling "ripping SACDs" is a real chore I know :agree:. Try it and the first link is the one from Computer Audiophile that I posted earlier. Whew..... that was tough, I need a nap after that ;).

ripping sacds - Google Search

8. bystander

bystander Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m happy to report that I got the 103. I found it locally at a good price, and it is in like-new condition including original packaging and all accessories.

As mentioned, I am running this through my two-channel stereo system only (McIntosh SS amplification, Bozak speakers). The 103 is probably overkill because I will not be using any of its video or streaming capabilities. I got it strictly on its reputation as a CD/SACD player. My previous CD player was a Tascam 160, which I’ve been happy with for many years.

I have a handful of Audio Fidelity SACDs, and recently picked up the new Joe Cocker “Joe Cocker!” release. This is a very special title for me, as I got the original album new as a kid and it’s always been one of my all-time favorites. Playing it on my Tascam player, it sounded great and a big improvement over the earlier Universal/A&M CD. But I wanted to hear it in all its full SACD glory.

Hooking up the 103 was a breeze, especially since I’m only using the two-channel audio outputs, and the manual is very user friendly and easy to follow. Operation is really simple, too, and I really like the remote control, especially the volume controls as that is something new for me as a vintage gear guy. It’s nice to finally not have to get up and walk over to the preamp every time I want to adjust the volume. The build quality of the 103 is impressive, too, as expected. Just a really solid, high quality piece of machinery, right down to the opening and closing of the disc drawer.

So, “Joe Cocker!” was of course selected as the debut disc to play. The 103 read the disc as SACD immediately. It sounded great, as expected. I followed with other regular CDs, and everything else I played on the 103 sounded great, too.

However, I can’t really say that anything sounds that much better than playing on my old Tascam player. Having been in the hi-fi game for many years (decades) now, I’ve learned to take terms like “stunning” and “jaw dropping” with more than a grain of salt. So I certainly wasn’t expecting anything life-changing, but perhaps something just a little more, especially from an SACD played on a “real” SACD player vs. a strictly CD player. I understand that probably the multi-channel sound is where the difference really becomes apparent.

Bottom line: I’m very happy with the 103, knowing that I’m bringing the very best out of my CDs and SACDs as possible. As far as I’m concerned, it is the end-of-the-line final disc player I’ll ever need. It’s nice to put upgrade-itis aside and just enjoy the music.

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The OPPO 105(D) was the last flagship 2K model with higher quality analog audio than the 103.

See here for Model comparison.........OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Having got a 203 I've just ordered my first SACD (The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta) and was looking into a stereo amp but getting confused with the whole thing.

I've read it will only output DSD via HDMI which no stereo amps appear to have, will I be losing much sound quality in PCM via the analogue outputs?

Thanks

Darren

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Nah....

12. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Another very happy 103 owner to whom HDCD playback is a must. I know it is a format from the long ago 90s, but my HDCD are still here in my collection and they keep selling them, especially artists from which I buy a lot (Grateful Dead, Neil Young). I understand the latest NY remaster of Decade is also HDCD, so that alone is reason enough for me to get it.

13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

You could look at Yamaha Aventage BD-A 1040, plays SACD, DVD-A and decodes HDCD, sells for $399 now as they came out with the BD-A1060. Not set up for 4k, and only stereo analog out if that is a convern, not multi channel

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I’ve ordered the Oppo-203. Decided I didnt care that much about HDCD decoding or streaming apps and liked the video features from Oppo that make it most future proof as well as all the connectivity options (7.1 analog out, 2 hdmi out and 1 in, and multiple 3.0 usb ports). Yes its pricey relative to others but by most accounts it is delivering awesome picture and sound and the firmware updates have solved some initial bugs. Will report back once I have it set up.

Although the Yamaha BD-A 1040 is about the last, affordable true universal (sacd, dvd-a, and hdcd decoding) that can be found it is only available from a few vendors that dont get the greatest reviews (poor customer service and high restocking fees). But the main reason I passed was the technology is 3 years old and the connections are skimpy - no analog outs, 1 hdmi which is 1.4, usbs are 2.0 - and reports of some bugginess requiring reboots. The Yamaha latest version is the 1060 but that dropped both hdcd decoding and dvd-a. The Sony x-800 is definitely the value player and has streaming included to netflix et al, but I just didn't like its look, no display on the unit. The Sony X-1000 is more expensive than the Oppo 203 and pretty comparable feature wise. If I could go back in time I would have bought the Oppo 103 and been really happy with that.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Describes me, after 5 years. :hugs:

Dan Steele likes this.
  16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What happened to you 5400?
    Do you still have the same feelings oppo vs the Sony?

17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I get the impression that it won't do DSD at HDMI level.
    Just the way they explain things and the mentioning of DoP for the connections you mention.

I DO know that the much more expensive Bryston BDA-3 will though!!!

Might be worth contacting Essence for more info!!!!
    May also depend on what connection options the rest of your gear offers too.

19. thib

thib Forum Resident

There was nothing wrong with the 5400. I just ran out of room on my stereo rack (long story) so I had to take it out. I'll tell you though, I had forgotten about this and been listening to the Oppo for 6 months or so but just 2 days ago, I put the Sony back in. Goodness gracious it is a glorious sounding machine! Yeah, for my set-up and ears, the two are not close, at all.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No question - something weird about the 5400. Sony stars aligned.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Here you go....2 channel receiver with HDMI input. The Onkyo TX-8270 stereo receiver also have HDMI inputs but it converts DSD to PCM first.

SX-S30DAB | Pioneer

You can also have the 203 convert DSD direct to analog, and then output through the analog outputs.

22. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

No the 5.1 SACD plays through analog out

23. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I agree with several of the people who have suggested buying a nice used 105 or 105D, which is what I have. For your info, I have two friends have the newer 205, and neither one can hear a hoot worth of difference in the SACD mode, and I know you will have people swear there is a difference, but two people have listened to both pieces and one stuck with his 105D and the other kept his 205, but neither heard a difference, and the 105 or 105D has so many features that were dropped with the 205.:agree:

24. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

So far with the 205 I would agree, this may change with more hours burn-in and changing filter to Apodizing Fast as recommended by Stereophile

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  25. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Just for posterity sake I am updating my Oct 22 post. I canceled my Oppo 203 order, and after waiting and seeing some price drops bought both the Sony X-800 for sacd, dvd-a playback and the Marantz cd6006 for what I do most frequently - redbook cd listening. So in the end I decided not to Oppo but I think either way would have been happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.