To upgrade to a newer remaster/reissue or keep the existing version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bjdwsm, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Keep these for sure, two of my favourite discs and as good or better than any other edition out there:
    Dump these, newer remasters or earlier editions can be had for not much money and big sonic improvement:

stef1205 likes this.
  2. I would generally keep what I already have. The only time I would upgrade is if it's one of my favorites, and the remaster includes some unreleased live recordings. If it's a straight up remaster with no new content, I'd pass.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I like the Bowie '99s and think the new remasters sound like mud. But, to each their own.

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Above have never been remastered.

Above is the re-master. Original is better.

Get the latest versions of these.

Never re-mastered.

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Agreed.
    The 2012 Ziggy LP/DVD-A and 2015/2016 Diamond Dogs, Station To Station, and Ziggy Soundtrack LPs are all ace.

stef1205 likes this.
  6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Regarding my comments on the Velvet Underground, I should clarify. I don't own the 45th anniversary sets of WL/WH and self-titled, but if they're anything like Nico, they'll be a big improvement. I had the 1996 and 2002 remasters of VU&N and the 2012 blows them out of the water. For Loaded, you'll probably be fine with the WSP CD. The Rhino remaster has some bonus tracks and extended versions of two songs but is quite loud and compressed.
    I'll probably pick up the LPs as I have no Bowie on wax. And honestly I don't care for the audio quality of records, just the tactile interactivity. Stone me if you must.

Digitally, I prefer the '99s even despite their glaring flaws - the new ones are too muddy, the Rykos are too thin, and the RCAs are honestly too dynamic for me. Either I can't hear the instruments, or the drums hurt my ears!

I've been really tempted to pick up the box sets, but I can't justify the price against the content. "All tracks previously unreleased in this configuration" adds $20 on to the price tag. If anyone wants to dump their boxes for $70 apiece, I'm your man. Until then, I'll stick with my '99s.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

keep these, they're all great:
    Brian Eno - David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts - Sire - CD 6093 - Canada
    Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica - Reprise - 2027-2 - USA
    Frank Zappa - Jazz From Hell - Rykodisc - RCD 10549 - USA
    Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1 - Rykodisc - RCD 10561/62 - USA
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps - Atlantic - CD 1311 - Canada
    John Coltrane - My Favorite Things - Atlantic - CD 1361 - Canada
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme - Impulse! - GRD 155 - USA
    Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz - Atlantic - 1364-2 - USA
    Pink Floyd - Ummagumma - EMI - 7243 8 3120 2 2 - Europe - 2CD with outer box
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother - EMI - 7243 8 31246 2 6 - Canada
    Pink Floyd - Meddle - EMI - 7243 8 29749 2 5 - Canada
    Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds - EMI - 7243 8 36609 2 9 - Canada
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon - Capitol - CDP 7243 5 82136 2 1 - USA - Hybrid SACD
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - EMI - 7243 8 29750 2 1 - Canada
    Ramones - Ramones - Warner Archives/Rhino - R2 74306 - Canada
    The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Virgin - V2 7243 8 39525 2 6 - Canada
    The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. - Virgin - V2 7243 8 39524 2 7 - Canada

not sure:
    Pink Floyd - Animals - EMI - 7243 8 29748 2 6 - Canada - some US editions sound better than the UK ones for this. can't say if the Canadian matches the US or UK. you might have to do more research or buy the newer remaster

upgrade these:
    Can Tago - Mago - Mute/Spoon - 9054-2 - Europe - track down an original
    Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out! - Rykodisc - RCD 10501 - USA - get the MOFO
    Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free - Rykodisc - RCD 10502 - USA - get the UMe remaster
    Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money - Rykodisc - RCD 10503 - Canada - get either the 1995 Rykodisc or the UMe
    Frank Zappa - Hot Rats - Rykodisc - RCD 10066 - USA - get the UMe
    Frank Zappa - Chunga's Revenge - Rykodisc - RCD 10511 - USA - get the UMe
    Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is - Rykodisc - RCD 10536 - Canada - Mastering issues - get either the 1998 Rykodisc or the UMe
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass - Capitol - CDP 7243 5 30474 2 9 - USA - oversize box - get the current remaster
    John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band - Capitol - CDP 7243 5 28740 2 6 - USA 2000 remix - get the current remaster
    Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love - EMI - 7243 5 25239 2 4 - Canada - EMI100 - track down an original
    Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jack Johnson - Columbia/Legacy - CK 47038 - USA - get the box set or the MFSL
    Paul McCartney - McCartney - MPL/Parlophone - C2 0777 7 89239 2 3 - Canada - get the newer remaster
    XTC - Black Sea - Virgin - CDVX2173 724385063626 - Europe - get the Ape House
    XTC - English Settlement - Virgin - CDVX2223 724385066023 - Europe - get the Ape House
    XTC - Skylarking - Virgin - CDVX2399 724385069024 - Europe - get the Ape House

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Three of your Zappa cds are well worth replacing with the 2012 editions, Absolutely Free, Hot Rats and particularly Chunga's Revenge as they revert to "original LP" mastering. Significant improvements IMO.

:)

9. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

His copy of "Moondance" has the underdub of "Into The Mystic" like all pre-2008 CDs. The Japan Warners WPCR-75420 reissue has the correct mix, and also doesn't suffer the dropout at the beginning of "And It Stoned Me", which afflicts the 2013 reissue. But he's ruled out Japanese discs, so the 2013 would be OK (the dropout is only really noticeable on headphones, I find).

10. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Your copy of Zep IV is the 1994 remaster. The 2014 remaster is brighter and a tad bass-lite in comparison, though by no means is it bad. I'd say you're good to go with your current disc, though many forum members would recommend the original CD mastered by Joe Sidore instead. If you do decide to buy the 2014 remaster, you might as well pick up the deluxe edition since it has a bonus disc of alternate mixes. Whether or not the mixes are worth listening to is an entirely different matter as people here are split on that.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  11. bjdwsm

bjdwsm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm pretty much agreed with all of your opinions: it seems the old CBS label masterings were easily the ones that left the most to be desired, while WEA generally knew what they were doing with their earlier CDs.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NEVER GET RID OF THE ONE you are replacing...you will regret it...speaking from experience...thankfully it was only for a short while.

MitchLT and Front 242 Addict like this.
  13. John Menzies

John Menzies New Member

Keep your 1990 release of Turnstiles b/c it has the original Richie Cannata saxophone solo on "New York State of Mind." Since 1998, all CD versions of the song have featured the Phil Woods solo (from the 1985 Greatest Hits compilation).

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My Japanese WPCR-75420 was really cheap though: a couple of Pounds mint with obi.

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Which did the MOFI hybrid SACD have?

George P likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I bet its cost has nosedived since the 2013 reissue; I think I paid about $25 for it in 2011 or thereabouts - nice buy for you ;)

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The remastered with a few bonus tracks is compressed, stick with the original.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  19. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

:thumbsup:

I love the sound of the original cd , when you raise the volume the music becomes even more powerful and enjoyable, the opposite from the remastered, there you have to reduce the volume to prevent from the music to become unpleasant/

Brian Eno - David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts - Sire - original CD 6093 - Canada also includes one of the best tracks in the album---- Qu'Ran/
    this excellent track is absent from all the remastered editions and from all the European original cds because Brian Eno and David Byrne got threats regarding the track/

stereoptic likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It still shows a hefty price tag on discogs. I guess I was lucky, although I see these 90s Japanese issues fairly regularly. I never know whether they are worth picking up or not. The one I messed up was the 3CD + Blu-ray Moondance set. Sainsbury's (an UK supermarket) had it on their entertainment website for £11.99, but I had already reached their limit of 3 orders per day. I've never seen it that cheap again.

21. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Hi, sorry, there was another thread on Tom Petty CD's but its closed to further replies, so thought I would add to this one instead of creating my own. SOrry if I am high jacking the thread. I can create my own if its better.

I have been looking at my own Tom Petty CD collection and I see there are remasters of the following titles.
    - Damn The Torpedoes
    - Hard Promises
    - Long After Dark
    - Southern Accents

I believe I have 90s CD pressings and I see these ones where remastered and released in late 00's. Just wondering, is this worth upgrading? Some even claim "
    Japanese only SHM-CD (Super High Material CD - playable on all CD players) pressing. Universal. 2008." Is the sound quality going to be that drastically better?

22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The HDCD remasters of the Tom Petty catalog are too compressed sounding to me. I would keep the original MCA CDs, or even better get the HD Downloads if you can handle digital downloads.

c-eling likes this.
  23. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Though the above version of Meddle states that it is the Doug Sax mastered version, the Canadian version actually used the wrong master and contains the original 80s master. The only way to get the Sax master is to get the US CD from that time, CDP 0777 7 46034 2 3. It's not hard to get, or expensive, and sounds much better to my ears.

93curr likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Don't upgrade any CDs, upgrade your system.

steppednwhat likes this.
  25. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

XTC you should purchase again. My originals from the 80s are very inferior to the Ape House reissues. As another poster said, get the ones with the 5.1 mixes. I have "Black Sea" on blu-ray and "Drums and Wires" and "Nonsuch" with DVD-A. I posted a week ago regarding that my "Nonsuch" DVD-A will only play on my ancient Sony DVD player circa 2001. It will not play on my newer Panasonic DVD machine. Anyway, the sound on the reissues is fantastic. Especially D&W and "English Settlement" Throw on your headphones and it will amaze you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.