Todd Rundgren new SACD titles, mastered Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I think that describes AWATS quite well, although I think it has plenty of beautiful moments and even passages. :)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

The "A Wizard, A True Star" book goes into Todd being drug free until getting into DMT, big time, during this period. It goes into a fair amount of detail and is "Researched and written with the participation and cooperation of Rundgren himself." Who knows? It is a very interesting book though.

mr.datsun likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It is one the strangest albums to ever be considered one of an artist's "classic" works.

4. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I bought AWATS when it came out and thought of it as a great and creative album. It has remained my favorite TR album. I never thought of it as strange. I can see what you guys mean though.

I'm not sure if that says something about me. :)

Sidewinder43 and mr.datsun like this.
  5. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

For me, the live version is much more accessible (even though the fidelity is also lacking, compressed-sounding, almost like an FM broadcast). It just seems less erratic, less frenetic, and more coherent. And moving the International Feel reprise to the end (before Just One Victory) gives the album the bookend it needed (rather than just bookending Side 1).

bluejimbop, CWillman and Chris DeVoe like this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Wizard. As a hungry teenager, I found it riveting from start to finish. I must have pored over every lyric and every sound, every dog-bark, every arrow twang. It was the most exciting thing I'd heard in terms of production and imagination. I can't remember exactly where it came in my listening trajectory, but the photo of him with Iggy (the one where Iggy is sporting a plaster on his chin) alerted me to the fact I needed to watch out for him, and then Wizard just leapt into my hands. It even turned me on to the idea that Soul could be interesting in the right hands.

mds, gramfan, Sidewinder43 and 2 others like this.
  7. Yup. Precisely why I like it. It's like Todd suddenly became unhinged for an hour. The remaster sounds pretty good. I've only listened to the SACD layer right now.

Crispy Rob, DrJ and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

I wish he would do a 5.1 mix of the live AWATS recording. Supposedly, that was one of the reasons that was done. The Liars DVD-Audio is the best sounding Todd recording out there, and if it had sold better, could have been the start of some amazing releases.

leefarber likes this.
  9. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

I wish I understood why it sounds so awful. There’s no reason for it to be such a compressed recording. A 5.1 mix would be great, provided the source was better than what was released.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's also the most underrated Todd Rundgren albums. I'd love a vinyl release, though it would require splitting up a lot of segues.

maxnix and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Can someone give Todd Steven Wilson's phone number :winkgrin:

Blair G. and Bill Mac like this.
  12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Listening to the SACD layer now, and it sounds as good as I suspect this album will ever sound, noticeable improvement over my old Bearsville LP. Huge Todd fan, all styles/phases, but this one holds a special place in my heart, sonic warts and all. He really let it fly, let it all hang out, in an arresting and seemingly stream of consciousness way (though I bet it was harder work getting it down than the finished product would suggest). An utterly unforgettable and unrepeatable album. And as idiosyncratic as it is, AWATS also just happens to be full to the brim with memorable hooks and melodies.

bluejimbop, dartira, mongo and 10 others like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

The Japanese version of the album is individual songs.

ad180 likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

It was recorded out of a digital board via Pro Tools. I can only assume it sounds that way because Todd wanted it to sound that way.

metallicramen likes this.
  15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Really?!? Every song is discrete? Are there gaps between the tracks?

On my music player I broke the music apart at what I consider to be musically logical points, keeping the suites intact. It came out like this:

1. International Feel / Never Never Land / Tic Tic Tic It Wears Off / You Need Your Head / Rock and Roll *****
    2. Dogfight Giggle
    3. You Don't Have to Camp Around
    4. Flamingo
    5. Zen Archer
    6. Just Another Onionhead / DaDa Dali
    7. Sunset Boulevard / Le Feel Internacìonále
    8. Sometimes I Don't Know What to Feel
    9. Does Anybody Love You?
    10. I'm So Proud / Ooo Baby Baby / La La Means I Love You / Cool Jerk
    11. Hungry for Love
    12. I Don't Want to Tie You Down
    13. Is It My Name?
    14. Just One Victory

16. Chris DeVoe

Sorry, I was referring to the album Liars.

17. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

I've seen that too..

Anyone have more details? multi-tracks or mixed master? format (reel size? tape width? half/quarter track? speed?). which side?

It's insanely unlikely, but I did find a single reel / one side of AWATS. one sided, marked "tails out" -- not something a home taper would typically do...

Monasmee likes this.
  18. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Any idea how to obtain this live album? It's not listed on any Amazon sites or ebay & Discogs have none for sale.

19. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I couldn't find any information about the master multitrack tapes for AWATS, but I did find this quote, which is in relationship to the live production of AWATS:

Q&A: Todd Rundgren on recreating A Wizard, A True Star | MusicRadar

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

The new Kevin Gray SACD has a comment in the liner notes that says something like this release was mastered from the stereo master tape. I can't recall the exact wording and I am not at home right now.

DrJ likes this.
  21. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

AWATS is near and dear to my heart; I have the original vinyl, the Bearsville CD and the Japanese CD and the HDTracks version . . none of them a revelation. I think this thing sounds like it's going to sound always. I'm ok with that, I don't love it any less.

Thank You! For years I thought it was my Oppo player that hated Liars, it never occurred to me that it was supposed to be that way as opposed to the American release. And it never occurred to me to ask here. Another of life's mysteries solved.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Even though I'm not familiar with either of these Todd Rundgren albums I preordered the SACDs at Importcds. Just to familiarize myself with them I listened to A Wizard, A True Star on YouTube. To be honest I didn't make it through the entire album and then cancelled my preorder. I'm going to wait to see what the overall thoughts are on both SACDs and then reconsider ordering them.

23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

This is all from memory.... I read somewhere that the actual master tape is so full of tape edits that it's difficult to play it back. A copy was made and that has been considered the master from that time forward.

Again, no idea if that's correct, or if it was just speculation posted on this forum.

24. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Any easy / cheap ways to get these titles in the UK yet? Customs friendly...

25. Chris DeVoe

Where did you find it?