Todd Rundgren new SACD titles, mastered Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Nov 22, 2017.

1. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Just finished listening to the AWATS Rhino cd Mastered by Bill Inglot & Ken Perry at a nice loud setting. Don't know how much the new remaster can improve on this as it sounds pretty good to my ears, and I had the original vinyl from day one. I'm happy..... so far :D

fatwad666 likes this.
  2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Ah, yes, I see now. I lost track of the thread.

3. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

"I read an interview with Todd recently where he said that the reason it sounds like it does is that it was taken from a lot of different sources. Some sections are quarter inch consumer grade tape while others are 1 and 2 inch. The recording speed of the original tracks varied from 7 1/2 ips to 15 ips to 30 ips which accounts for the excessive hiss and overall variance of quality from section to section. A lot of it was taken from jam sessions that he later turned into songs. (Edit) And one of the sides is lost. I believe the tracking tapes are lost too. Todd said they couldn't do a surround mix for that reason." Tspit74 5/15/06

Copied/pasted from another Wizard thread....

Aardvark23 likes this.
  4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

In other words, it is what it is and will remain that way. I've loved it since the week of release and will stick with my original vinyl.

Monasmee and audiomixer like this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Here is the thread:
    Todd Rundgren "A Wizard/A True Star" LP

Chris DeVoe and Monasmee like this.
  6. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

eBay. the title of the auction was "Todd Rundgren Wizard 2 track Stereo DJ Reel to Reel!" so I bought it for $15. The audio is not a simple needle drop, and it doesn't sound like it came from a CD. I never figured out what the source was.. I haven't played it in a long time -- think I'll take another listen as I just received the SACD as well...

Dino likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thank godness. "A Wizard" is a great album, but it's a paint peeler in old masterings.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I did find a listing on a fan site, but I haven't tried tracking down stuff before the TR Connection Forum became a ghost town - tragically, far too many fans have moved all their interaction over to evil Facebook, the Roach Motel of the Internet.

fldveloce likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, I can post the exact statement from the liner notes now:

"Mastered from the original stereo tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. Authored by Gus Skims at the Super Audio Center."

Dino likes this.
  10. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I've used Amazon.com

You DO have to pay customs but you DON'T pay Customs Service Fees (levied by Royal Mail, Parcel Force, FedEx etc who charge you about £12 to take customs duty off you). Amazon shipping costs from the US are very reasonable & the parcel is trackable. I'm not saying this is the cheapest way of doing it but I don't consider this to be a rip off.

11. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Good to know thanks

12. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I'm plenty happy with the digital copies of the S/A and AWATS reel to reels I "found" online.

13. Musicisthebest

Please let me know if you find anywhere cheaper & RELIABLE.

14. raphph

I will probably go with Wow HD as they seem cheaper (and rumours are they avoid customs)

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about the 87' Castle cd ?

ted209 likes this.
  16. Musicisthebest

I've just had a look at Wow HD. They do seem cheaper but A Wizard A True Star is current out of stock. That's what I was referring to when I said "reliable" in my post.

17. Musicisthebest

I ended up preferring the CD in the Complete Bearsville Collection. The 87 Castle is too rolled off in the treble for my liking. I'm still waiting for my SACD to arrive to do a comparison.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Is this a normal pre-order message from Amazon? I never pre-order so I don't know:

"We'll email you when we have a delivery date

We’ll ship your order as soon as possible
    This usually happens when an item doesn’t have a release date, it’s pre-ordered, or it’s out of stock."

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There was earlier UK Wizard |True ⭐️ cd, same mastering ?

20. raphph

Because it isn't "Out" until tomorrow - which is probably why inventory hasn't been flagged up yet

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Something/Anything? has been available on amazon dot c'eh since 12 January 2018.
    I received my copy yesterday.

ad180 likes this.
  22. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

When did you pre-order? I pre-ordered the Something/Anything? SACD in late December and it's arriving on release day for me.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I pre-ordered this week. :(

24. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

You might've missed the time frame to get it on release day. Usually you have to pre-order weeks before to guarantee getting it when it comes out.

25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I'm listening to Something/Anything? right... now.
    What a great album!

Joti Cover, SteelyNJ and Blue Cactus like this.