Todd Rundgren...why isn’t he more famous?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majoyenrac, Mar 9, 2018.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Todd and Willie wrote it together. Oops is the last Utopia album with seperate credits, and Todd has a hand in all but one track (Windows, by Powell).

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Xerox of Fate

Xerox of Fate Forum Resident

btw I'm totally on board with Todd skipping the crowd pleasers but I do think he should have played "Bang on the Drum All Day" when he did his shows in Wisconsin - if you don't know, that's been the Packers touchdown song for a long, long time, most people have no clue it's Rundgren, including I'd imagine many people in the audience.

Raysdeathmachine likes this.
  3. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

thanks for setting me straight!

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have to dig it up, but there is an interview with Liv where she mentioned this long email she got from Todd talking about her work in The Fellowship of the Ring, describing every one of her scenes. Also, she used to be married to a musician named Royston Langdon, whom Todd had open on a tour. There is no doubt that he's a proud father and is as involved in the lives of Liv and his grandson Milo as possible.

5. Helicopter Steve

Helicopter Steve Forum Resident

I figured he meant the song from Phantom of the Opera. In which case Todd should certainly have played it if requested. :laugh:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Just got back from SXSW festival in Austin TX, where I had my first experience with Todd's music (outside of the hits and a few tracks from White Knight). I attended the Songwriter's Panel that featured Todd and a trio of other talented musicians. Later that night, I saw Todd live at the Elysium, a 500-capacity nightclub. I didn't know any of the songs but I was amazed by the lyrics and musicianship.

After these experiences, I have no doubt that Todd is a genius and I look forward to exploring his music more.

Btw, here's the video of Chris Price and Todd singing an impromptu "Bleeding" at the SXSW panel.

7. Chris DeVoe

I clicked the "Like" button, but that is just not enough. Super-Ultra-Mega-Hyper-LIKE.

8. Raysdeathmachine

Raysdeathmachine Forum Resident

I second that emotion! Smiling ear to ear w/ a permagrin.

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

ONE OF US!

ONE OF US!

Welcome to the freak parade! :righton:

10. Thoughts on the reissue of the Utopia Bearsville catalog on CD? Looks like they have the bonus tracks put on the UK titles and released in Japan. I realize it isn't released yet but I'm curious. I'm surprised that Friday was able to license these.

toddfan likes this.
  11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

My wife interviewed Todd about a year ago. He said something to the effect that the greater your popularity, the more shallow your popularity is likely to be. He thinks that his fan base is as rabid as it is in part because he never attained that superstar level.

He also said that after the two hit singles from Something/Anything, he was concerned that he would be pigeonholed as a male Carol King, and so he deliberately started throwing listeners for a loop with Wizard. I don't think there were any singles from that album.

Raysdeathmachine and jlf like this.
  12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Alright! Sounds like I've found some big fans of Todd just in time. So where do I start? Let's go 5 and 5--5 of his own albums and 5 from his production work! I'm ready to dive in :)

13. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Chris, since you mentioned Todd's kids...
    Randy Rundgren is coaching baseball in the Cleveland area. My sister-in-law's boyfriend coaches with him.
    (I smell tickets! ;))

Story here:
    Welcome to our Website

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

As if Todd needed one more reason to do shows in Ohio!

strummer101 likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think the real answer to the question thst started this thread is:

Todd isn't more famous because he has consistently undermined his chances of being famous by making so many drastic shifts in his career. Because his goal is to follow his own weord, not to become more famous.

I fully believe he could have followed up Something/Anything with several more consecutive albums of such catchy material and become huge if he wanted to. Instead he followed up with the oddball AWATS (my fav of his albums) and Todd and the instrumental freak outs of TR'S Utopia. Similarly, he tours in one oddball format after another and often when he deigns to play his hits he does them nothing like the hit versions.

I love all these things about him, but the millions needed to make records hits do not.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. strummer101

Power-pop Utopia circa 1982. A tight band playing nearly (there's 2 Todd solo songs) an entire concert of catchy Utopia songs that more people should have heard.
    :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Joti Cover, DaverJ and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Todd is the poster boy for independent music which offers more control than mainstream.

Sometimes 80% of a grape (indie) works better than 20% of an elephant (corporate) if one needs their artistic freedom & sovereignty.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Which, to my point above, he followed up with an album of Beatle parodies.

19. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

5 albums from TR...

Something/Anything - Rock/Pop, commercial stuff and a few bits of wackiness.
    A Wizard, A True Star - Far out, full of ideas, dense and varied.
    Healing - Synths, spacey relaxing and uplifting.
    Oops! Wrong Planet by Utopia - Rock and power pop.
    Nearly Human - Soul, pop, commercial.

5 Productions...

The Tubes - Love Bomb - Forward thinking and very Toddish.
    XTC - Skylarking - A masterpiece, also Toddish.
    The Pursuit of Happiness - Love Junk - Power pop and rock with a sense of humour. Very Todd influenced.
    Shaun Cassidy - Wasp - Middle of the road but has a very TR/Utopia sound and a couple of cracking TR originals.
    Cheap Trick - Next Position Please - More Power Pop, includes a great TR penned track.

That should get you started, mostly more accessible stuff with Wizard being the 'far outest'.

DaverJ, jlf and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. strummer101

Deface the Music was 2 years prior to this show. Regardless, I was speaking to the volume of well-crafted, catchy song Utopia could wield in concert by 1982. One would think something might have imprinted on the public consciousness.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Oops. Was that the one he used to derail the momentum from Adventures?

22. strummer101

yep.

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd recommend scrapping Shaun Cassidy and adding either Tom RObinson's "TRB 2" (great songwriting and a classic track in "Bully for You") or Steve Hillage's "L" (if you like cosmic but accessible Utopia).

jlf and strummer101 like this.
  24. strummer101

L is a good choice. I'd make it 6 productions and include Patti Smith's Wave.

25. Raysdeathmachine

Raysdeathmachine Forum Resident

Tough call. What do you like?
    "Safe" for the uninitiated:
    Runt the Ballad of Todd Rundgren
    (the song "Bleeding" you posted is from this album)
    Hermit of Mink Hollow
    Faithful (1st side covers 2nd side originals)
    Something/Anything
    Todd

New York Dolls (1st lp)
    Grand Funk Railroad -- We're an American Band
    Patti Smith Group -- Wave
    Meatloaf -- Bat out of Hell
    Bad Religion -- The new America

DaverJ and jlf like this.