Todd Rundgren

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by uzn007, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Todd Rundgren is one of my favorite music artists. As a teen, I followed him throughout the 70s, through all his stylistic twists and turns, both solo and with Utopia. It helps to appreciate different musics and not demand that your favorite artists stick to a single genre.

After the 70s I continued to consider Todd an auto-buy, and to this day I still do. The man never stopped with the twists and turns, and that's one of the reasons why I appreciate him so. His more recent releases hold up well next to his "classic" period, IMO. I can't say that about very many artists.

I got a chuckle when I read that some fans were walking out of shows from his new White Knight tour because of "Tin Foil Hat", his and Donald Fagen's humorous anti-Trump song.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That's a word that is tossed around far too freely in music, but I honestly think that Todd is one of the few who would still be considered a genius even if he had never played a note (along with Frank).

Rfreeman likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

If he makes McCartney look focused, then being unfocused is a big asset, because Todd is my #3 artist and McCartney wouldn't be in my top 100.

That's not to suggest that I don't like solo McCartney + Wings--I do. I like him a lot. And McCartney/Wings are definitely in my 100-200 range, higher than solo Lennon, Harrison and Starr. But he's nowhere near Todd caliber to me. The Beatles aren't either.

strummer101 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

WIZARD - A TODD A TRUE STAR the man is untouchable. Jumped on at Adventures in Utopia. Never jumped off and my friends were too dumb to realize how great he was.

Hey albums folks .. any problems with the vinyls going over 30 minutes a side

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Haven't bought any Todd in many years, though I'll always try and listen when he does something new. His latest one has two great tracks on it, especially the return to pop form duet with Moe Berg.
    I always look back on his first 5 with great memories.
    I got Todd for Christmas way back when and the old man was not happy about seeing the guy with colored hair was going to be in my record collection. But of course he never did any shopping for me unless it was something I didn't ask for that he thought I'd like.:shrug:

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm not obsessed with him, but he's a great talent. Runt and Something/Anything? are classics. I also like his production with Badfinger, Meat Loaf, and Cheap Trick.

klockwerk likes this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I'm going to "get" the Marvin reference. It's just a matter of time.

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

But his classic albums* also make McCartney look a little bit quotidian.

*For me Wizard and Todd, along with the classic early songs.

strummer101 likes this.
  9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love Todd and I've seen him live many times. He is a consummate musician, a work-a-holic and a great producer. He's brimming with ideas and energy. He's up there with Zappa in terms of the variety and volume of work his work.

Fortunately for me my wife was a big fan when I started dating her and she converted me. I had written him off as some wimpy singersongr writer who wore silver lame jumpsuits and too much mascara. I liked his hits but I thought he was aiming at teenage girls as his target audience. Boy was I wrong.

Chris DeVoe and strummer101 like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Todd was The Beatles in the seventies.
    Sorted !!!

11. agn

agn Forum Resident

JorgeGvb and alexpop like this.
  12. agn

agn Forum Resident

My top 10 including Utopia

1. Wizard
    2. Something Anything
    3. Hermit of Mink Hollow
    4. Utopia - Adventures Utopia
    5. Faithful
    6. Utopia - RA
    7. Utopia - Deface The Music
    8. Runt
    9. Healing
    10. Utopia

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

14. alexpop

Nice list.

15. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

(first Utopia album) I LOVE this album, I've had three or four copies of it. I bought it when it was his new album, 74 or 75 or something. A friend of mine, an early audiophile, great stereo and knew a lot about music technical things, told me theres NO WAY a rock album could have a 30 minute side. "The needle will jump right out of the track! The grooves are too close together!"

it never did.... I played that thing to death.

16. alexpop

Beach Boys early albums were like 27/28 minutes.

17. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I remember him telling me to turn the bass way down or the needle would jump out of the groove. It never did. I didnt turn the bass down either.

Maybe Todd mastered it that way, I dunno.

18. Chris DeVoe

Sadly the two Billy James books are so poorly laid out and copy edited that I've only read both once. Even physically, copies had a tendency to fall apart. They are one of the best arguments I've seen in favor of professional publishing standards. A Wizard/A True Star: Todd Rundgren In The Studio by Paul Meyers, on the other hand, is excellent and very well produced. I wish an exceptional writer like Graeme Thomson would do a through book on Todd like his ones on George Harrison, Phil Lynott and Kate Bush.

alexpop likes this.
  19. alexpop

Agree. Handle with care,
    Cheap publisher.
    Still invaluable.

Wouldn't mind Byrds guru Johnny Rogan doing one on Todd.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

My top 10

A Wizard A True Star
    Another Live
    Hermit Of Mink Hollow
    Ra
    Todd
    Healing
    Nearly Human
    Something Anything
    The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect
    Faithful

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Great how he's never attempted to do a AWATS vol 2 ...ditto S/A? 2.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  22. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

Top 10 Todd (solo in order of release):

The Ballad Of Todd Rundgren
    Something/Anything
    A Wizard A True Star
    Todd
    Initiation
    Faithfull
    Hermit Of Mink Hollow
    Back To The Bars
    Healing
    Liars

Top 5 Utopia:

TR's Utopia
    Another Live
    Ra
    Oops Wrong Planet
    Adventures In Utopia

alexpop likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

The one undeniable fact about Todd's career is that he'll never do the same thing twice.

strummer101 likes this.
  24. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I think I was about 5 years old when I first heard Hello It's Me on the radio and I've been into his music ever since then. I loved Todd's early 1970s stuff. I would just repeat Wizard or Todd for days on end, such incredible variety! Show tunes, novelty songs, children's songs, hard rock, he could write and play almost anything. I've always thought that Something/Anything was a sort of early version of the "boxed set" thing going on now because this was the first time I'd seen an artist include older songs on an album for archival purposes. As time went on though he sort of broke away from the short neatly-constructed songs and experimental stuff that I liked, and Hermit of Mink Hollow was the last Todd album that I really got into. His post-1970s music wasn't quite as interesting to me. I bought Nearly Human when it came out but didn't really enjoy his "new" style all that much, although the production quality was excellent. I'd love to hear him put out something like Wizard again.

25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I've always been partial to Healing, Wizard and Initiation. I think these are Todd's finest moments. I have to say though that I really like 'White Knight' - it's the first of Todd's recent albums that has really grabbed me. I will go back and check out Liars now also - I've always skipped over that one because of the silly artwork on the cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.