Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Super Bowl Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith Moon, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I suppose they should have pulled a Jim Morrison ala The Doors on Ed Sullivan? :confused:

2. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Well said! It was 15 minutes o' fun! I loved it (and if it makes anyone who didn't know Petty" material before, go out and buy some or create a few new fans then it's a win-win!)

Tom Petty has always been (and continues to be) a class act!

(And FWIW, IMO Ms. Spears and Ms. Winehouse are two of the most unactractive women (in every way) that I have ever seen!)

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Sing "Light My Fire"?

4. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Huh? There is no authority on what the most might enjoy. Those songs are all hits. Fan favorites. Crowd pleasers. They are popular. Are you disputing that? Petty was there to entertain not "challenge". What would have happened is if he played some weird crap nobody was familiar with?. Not as many people would have enjoyed it. As a huge Petty fan there are other songs I would have rather heard, but it was 4 songs during a half time performance. Even non-Petty fans would recognize these songs. What is the issue with the song selection? Too many people tapping there feet at the same time?

5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I really can't believe this many people are surprised Petty played the hits. This is the SUPER BOWL guys. Did you expect him to debut the new MUDCRUTCH LP?

you guys here know the drill.. why is everyone so surprised?

paul mccartney played "Live and let die" for crying out loud.

if petty played the "zombie zoo," you'd be wondering if he was nuts.

6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

no, the issue is singing identical notes and phrasing with no drama, no ad-libbing, and no spontaneity.

If you want to listen to the record, listen to the record....

7. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

I can't remember what the reaction was around here when McCartney played the Superbowl. I'm a McCartney fan, but I much preferred The Heartbreakers. Nothing beats U2 after 9/11, though...in regards to Superbowl half time shows.

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

wellll, i'm sitting in an office in dekalb, illinois with the production manager of last year's Prince halftime show. it is not impossible to orchestrate such a production and pull it off live...in the rain even (ie. Prince last year). the halftime show was produced by Don Mischer Productions, btw, not Fox Sports. nothing i saw indicated lip synching or playing to tape.

9. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I was speaking solely of the song selection. All things considered I thought the performances were very good considering how many times they have played them. And they weren't IDENTICAL" to the record either. What kind of drama were you expecting? A nipple flash?

10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

But it would be no different if you went to a Tom Petty concert!

FWIW, the women in the bar I was in screamed with delight every time a new song started, and they sang along at the top of their lungs. It was about 'fun', not turning people on to new songs, or improvising, or re-inventing old songs, etc.

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

After reading through this thread I must say I expected more from this forum. Much more. It's either out of ignornace, spite or believing that the awful feed that FOX provided was spot-on, but there was NO lip synching going on whatsoever. Any trained musician could tell this was live and all live. That doesn't mean digital devices aren't used as effects on the vocals, they were indeed, but since when is this frowned upon? Same with Macca a few years back, all live, except perhaps a click track which used some pre-recorded audible count-ins as insurance. Again, what is wrong with this? Should Harrison not have used the pre-recorded count-in for Taxman during the Japan shows in the early 90's? Does this somehow make the performance NOT live? Silly. Once the audio feed is corrected to account for FOX's time delay there's no question whatsoever that this was live. Ron

12. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

:edthumbs:

13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Next year they should get the real Bob Dylan to sing and the real Roger McGuinn to play the guitar.:hide:

(now THAT would be a show - with some risk-taking!!!!!)

14. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Ron, do you think all the guitars, bass, and keyboards were performed live?

15. davenav

As opposed to a fake Bob Dylan? :yawn:

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

yes.

17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

here's someone else crying about tom petty:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080204/OPINION03/802040402

i loved it.. the 10 folks in my house loved it.. those mike & mike dudes on espn radio were gushing over it.. the crowd at the game loved it..

i'll let this one go. i guess i'm just amazed how much crap the man is getting here.

I'm not Ron, but yes.. never any doubt. I have it on the DVR at home in HD and its up on Youtube for all the world to see.

18. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

So true. I remember watching the Superbowl half time show with McCartney, and let me say again that I am a fan, but man did he sound horrible that night, at least I thought! Petty to me was near perfect. He deserves accolades for being a class act and representing him and the band with style.

Beep beep beep beep yeah! Corny as hell for that situation.

Sorry, folks! Heartbreakers win this one for me.

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Certainly the guitars, bass and drums were.... I could hear and see chord changes, fingerings and instances where slight mistakes were made that prove to me all was live. There were very few shots of Benmont Tench playing keys so I can't swear that his playing was all live, by visual means. It would not surprise me if some keyboard parts are programmed in...this is commonplace nowadays. If you catch their recent Soundstage show you'll see just how good and authentic these music veterans are. Not quite sure why you, or others think they may not have been playing live. One thing to watch. During one of Mike Campbell's solos (the one where he's down on his knee right up to the camera) there's a few clunkers as he goes way up on his fretboard... all in the name of rock & roll. Ron

20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Ok, here's a question for all the guitar and amp geeks among us.....were those Vox Super Beatle amps on stage vintage or modern reissues?

21. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Girl, we couldn't get much higher :evil:

22. davenav

I too find all this cynical criticism a bit mystifying. I mean, I was in a crowded, rowdy bar -- and I could tell it was not a lipsync! What the F?

23. RickN

RickN New Member

You seem to be the most vocal advocate of Mr. Petty not syncing anything. But you really don't know anything more than anyone else posting their opinion. You seem to have some weird chip on your shoulder. Did Tom autograph your tourbook in 1978 or something? Relax, pal. You are coming across as some kind of Rupert Pupkin insane person.

24. davenav

He has one thing on his side -- he's right. :eek:

25. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

LOL. OK. I have no idea who Rupert Pukin is (I know its Pupkin) but I'm absolutely certain it wasn't lip syncy'd. I'm a big fan of Petty yes, but that aside it was crystal clear to me, and most others on here, it was a live performance. No chip on my shoulder just trying to convince the few cynics it was live. If you wanna think it was an illusion it's Ok by me.

:shrug:

Ok i googled Rupert Pupkin. From the King Of Comedy. A deranged fan? Because I'm stating the obvious? Your comment just does't make any sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.