Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident

The pic is from Petty's official Twitter account. One of the reels is labeled "Deliver Me" and "Wild Thing"

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Would love a Bob Dylan & the Heartbreakers collaboration.

melstapler, Dee Zee and ted321 like this.
  3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Clear out the vaults, take my money!

melstapler likes this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

That's quite alright. I didn't lose track of what the gist was. I knew it by instinct.

5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think you can fit your horse in here?:

[​IMG]

6. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

That would be very cool.

jeffrey walsh and J_D__ like this.
  7. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

A convection oven is our clue......what's cookin'?

melstapler likes this.
  8. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I'd like to hear the band War on Drugs cover a few Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers songs.

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Something older that needed heated up.......

melstapler likes this.
  10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

If they're baking tapes, seems less likely to be Wildflowers...? I dunno...

melstapler likes this.
  11. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

Well the one thing you can read from the earlier pic of tapes is "Deliver Me", but I haven't heard any buzz about the "Long After Dark" album.

windfall likes this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

My gut is telling me that the pic of Tom from 1994/95 just seems like it's got something to do with it. Only 20 minutes to go before we hear on Tom Petty Radio. I don't know if I'll be able to get off work and into my car in time, so someone tune in in case I can't.

13. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Hologram tour??

14. Bob_Rush

Bob_Rush Forum Resident

New box set. Sept 28th release. 4 CD. American Treasure. Unreleased songs, alternate versions and live songs. More info tomorrow.
    Playing a new song on TP Radio. Keep a Little Soul. Recorded in 1982.

Bob

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Hep Alien and Cassius like this.
  15. McCool

I'm heading out for the evening but there is more to come tomorrow morning. For now please link here for all the relevant information regarding Tom Petty/Heartbreakers imminent career spanning box set "An American Treasure". Thank you all for hanging out today and for keeping the flame alive:

TOM PETTY/HEARTBREAKERS: Career Spanning Box Set Coming Soon!

Hep Alien and Myke like this.
  16. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So the track listing is up in another thread. The Good News....lots of unreleased tracks. The bad news, a few Wildflowers unreleased tracks. Does that mean the Wildflowers box set project will not come to be? If so, that is quite disappointing.

17. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I love all the Tom Petty threads. He was so good - any unreleased material is very exciting. Imagine how many unreleased songs he had in the vault? He probably had hundreds of great songs and was limited as to how many songs he could put on albums/cds.......he was exceptionally good.

melstapler and J_D__ like this.
  18. McCool

I'm trying to keep non-"An American Treasure" news separate from the other thread, so keep that stuff in there and this stuff in here:

- As a reminder The Dirty Knobs (ft. Mike Campbell) will be performing at The Mint in Los Angeles, CA this evening. The event is completely sold out and while I won't be attending personally, I'll try to get any relevant video and/or reports up as soon as they become available to me. Anyone who happens to be attending is welcome to toss up a review as well.

- The Bayjacks recently uploaded content from their recent concert in Nashville, Tennessee. Posted below is a video of Bernie Leadon joining in with brother Tom Leadon and the rest of the band covering Chuck Berry's "Maybelline"

- Tom Petty's daughter Adria recently commented on a fan's question regarding the rumored "Wildflowers" box set. While there is a screengrab of the conversation between the parties floating around, since Ms. Petty's Instagram account is marked private, I don't feel it's my place to post the screengrab here. I will however relay the gist of message: The fan in question wanted to know if the rumored "Wildflowers" project material would be included on "An American Treasure". Adria informed him that the unreleased songs pertaining to the "Wildflowers" album would not be included but they did include alternate arrangements of familiar songs ("Don't Fade On Me", "Wake Up Time"). Take that as you will.

19. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Question. I was playing the (poorly mastered) Anthology-Through The Years comp today, and noticed something - are Listen To Her Heart, and to a lesser extent, I Need To Know, remixes, or alternate mixes? Listen to the lead vocal on LTHH, it sits very upfront, with the harmony vocal very down back. Thoughts?

20. McCool

From the annals of my foggy memory, the contents included on that release were remixed. As an aside, it's one of the reasons why the first disc of "Playback" was my go-to mix for Tom Petty/Heartbreakers early catalog for many years. Ears like everything else are subjective of course, but I always found that to be a good bounce around the ears.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The first appearance of these remixes that I am aware of was the original 1993 Greatest Hits. I'm pretty sure they are subtle remixes, they don't change the panning or anything like that, just pushed the vocals upfront and center, as opposed to the murky, vocal WAY back there Rolling Stones-type of mix on the YGGI LP. Now for the hi-res Greatest Hits and possibly the 2016 vinyl reissue (don't own it to confirm), the album mixes were used instead, which was not technically accurate to the original release.

FJFP likes this.
  22. McCool

[​IMG]
    Just some quick news before I head out:

- As I'm sure many of you are already aware, The Dirty Knobs were quite active over the past several days, performing at The Mint in Los Angeles last Wednesday and then at The Ride Festival in Telluride, Colorado over the weekend. I was at The Ride Festival and to say The Dirty Knobs didn't disappoint would be an understatement. I don't do in depth concert reviews (I'm truly horrible at them!) but I will say that if you get a chance to see Mike Campbell and his wonderful band, by all means buy a ticket and circle the date on your calendar! Hopefully, next year the band will be coming a bit closer to you all as well.

- A brief write-up of The Dirty Knobs' performance at The Mint can be found here (although fair warning there are some notable errors contained within):
    Mike Campbell and Dirty Knobs Pay Tribute to Tom Petty at The Mint

- There have been a myriad of videos posted of The Dirty Knobs' performance at The Mint. SHF only allows me a little bit of YouTube fun, so I'll just advise to do a cursory search of YT in order to locate all of the videos.

- Finally, Ron Blair was active over the weekend as well, performing a gig in San Diego, however little is known about the gig itself although some video has surfaced of Blair performing "The Last DJ" which I'll try to get up here by the end of the week.

PS: There was also some news late last week regarding the upcoming Tom Petty/Heartbreakers box set "An American Treasure" and SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio", but in order to avoid cross-postage, I'm keeping all of the news on the box set contained to it's own thread, so check up on that one for further information on everything "An American Treasure"!

23. McCool

[​IMG]
    Tomorrow would've been the sixty-third birthday of the late Howie Epstein. Aside from possessing one of the most beautiful high-harmony voices ever bestowed upon a musician, Howie Epstein was a talented songwriter, bassist, guitarist and producer. In all my years following Tom Petty/Heartbreakers, I have never heard a fan say one bad word about their encounters with Howie Epstein. Benmont Tench referred to him as "the coolest guy in the room", Tom Petty would oftentimes refer to him as the "Swiss Army Knife" of the band, playing whatever needed to be performed onstage. I've always viewed him as someone who came across as the definition of both kind and genuine. Rest easy Howie. All the love.

- For those of you who may be unaware some rare Tom Petty memorabilia including guitars and stage jackets are going up for auction over the weekend. Those fans who have managed to save a couple of dollars on "An American Treasure" or "The Live Anthology" by shopping with Moosetracks (or whatever that shop is called!) might want to take a look as the Gainesville Sun has put together a nice write-up on what's going under the gavel: Tom Petty memorabilia goes up for auction

- If you are tuning into SiriusXM's Tom Petty Radio next week, you'll find Paul Zollo, author of "Conversations with Tom Petty" spinning some of his favorite records as the Guest DJ beginning on Monday (07/23/18) with encores to follow throughout the week. Mr. Zollo is one of the most knowledgeable sources when it comes to information on Tom Petty/Heartbreakers, so his Guest DJ slot will be a must listen!

- Even though it's Howie Epstein's birthday tomorrow, it's Heartbreakers fans who will be receiving the gifts. To begin with, as many fans know one of Howie's first gigs with the Heartbreakers was at the US Festival which took place in Devore, California on September 4, 1982. For years there has been truncated video circulating of this gig, but last month the official YouTube channel for Tom Petty/Heartbreakers uploaded more of this performance than was ever available before! It's still slightly incomplete but eleven performances are now found in the best available quality period! Highlights include the first live performance of "You Got Lucky", alongside covers of The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" and Wilson Pickett's "I'm In Love". It's must viewing for any serious Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' fan: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers: Live! - YouTube

- Any Howie Epstein tribute would be incomplete without throwing the spotlight on "I Fell In Love", a song that he co-wrote alongside fellow Heartbreaker Benmont Tench and Carlene Carter. Carter took the song to number three on the Billboard US Hot Country Songs charts in 1990, helped no doubt by this entertaining music video featuring Epstein, Tench and two cats who are trying their best to replicate Mike Campbell's and Stan Lynch's early nineties hairstyles:

24. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Never seen that photo of Howie and Bruce before. Thanks.

Hep Alien and budwhite like this.
  25. McCool

PooreBoy and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.