Tom Petty - "Hypnotic Eye" -- new album (and tour) this summer*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

The MfiT is made with a peak limiting but slightly lower level. It's 24bit 44.1K (as this is the MFiT spec)

Centurion and GetHappy!! like this.
  2. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

anyone been able to play the Blu Ray in a XBOX One? I can't get it to start.

3. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Sweet! That's all I needed to know.

VP

4. I would've thought that the source for the "MFiT" release would've been 24bit/48kHz, not 44.1kHz, seeing as the main master is 24/48. Do you know for sure the source given to iTunes was 44.1kHz? Apple/iTunes recommend the highest sample rate possible for "MFiT" releases.

5. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Vinyl delayed nationwide. Anyone know why?

6. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Hypnotic Eye is coming to HDtracks this week according to their latest Facebook update. No bit or sample rate is mentioned but no doubt it will be the same 24/48 master used for the FLAC download release on Tom Petty's official website and the Blu-ray audio. It's not up on the site yet.

7. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

That's right

8. Try and get Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers to release the rest of their catalogue in high resolution, including Petty's solo albums. I'd be all over that like a shot!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    J_D__ likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You've had your say. We get it. But you haven't said anything new in your last half dozen posts and your only purpose at this point can be to frustrate and annoy the messenger and we don't need yet another messenger (who may have plenty of other useful info to share) deciding that the negatives of participating here outweigh the positives.

If you have a complaint, send it to the people who make the decision. Otherwise you're either just preaching to the choir or whining to the unsympathetic at this stage of the game here.

Ctiger2 likes this.
  10. I agree with Ryan's comments. It's simple... if you don't mind a louder compressed sound then buy the CD or download from iTunes. If you're an audiophile or someone who cares about the sound quality of the music they purchase, buy the 24/48 high resolution copy via one platform or another. After all, high resolution should be what we're looking towards now when purchasing music in general.

Ctiger2 likes this.
  11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Ryan WAS PART OF THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THE DECISION. :wtf::crazy:

12. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Ryan's comments are acceptable - as long as you are a forum member that reads this thread in this forum. But if the true bottom line is " Attention Record Buying Public: If you don't mind a louder compressed sound then buy the CD or download from iTunes" - that fact should advertised loud and clear worldwide so that consumers can make an informed decision about what it is they are really buying.

As it stands right now - no one has any clue what they are getting - or is the entire music buying population on earth just supposed to "know" that CDs and iTunes releases = crap and FLAC/BluRay/Vinyl = Sonic Nirvana?

VP

amoergosum, artfromtex and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. It's been explained clearly what we're getting. The CD is more compressed with peak limiting, so is the iTunes copy, but just a little less than the CD. The 24/48 releases which are available for download on Tom Petty's website and (soon) HDtracks and Blu-ray audio have a lot less compression (on all platforms) with no peak limiting. It's not that difficult to understand. Most people into high resolution audio are clued up on where to go for a high rez copy of an album anyway (if one has been released).

I do agree though that these two pages should have the words "24bit/48kHz high resolution (studio master quality)", or something similar on them to make it a bit more clearer on what you're actually getting. According to Ryan, studio master quality is what you're getting with the 24/48 releases, regardless of what platform you buy them through.

http://tompetty.warnerartists.net/en/catalog/product/view/id/80401?intcmp=140610/tompetty/aa/spl/s_pr/but/bdy/row/hypnoticeyepreorder_flac

http://tompetty.warnerartists.net/en/catalog/product/view/id/80391?intcmp=140610/tompetty/aa/spl/s_pr/but/bdy/row/hypnoticeyepreorder_bluray

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

On the Blu ray packaging there was a sticker on the front, and on the back of the jacket, there's another explanation at the top.

15. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Ugh. I don't want mp3s, let alone limited ones. I doubt many purchasers of hi-res discs want them. Strange decisions, especially considering this is not how the other Petty BR discs were handled.

Annoying, but I do appreciate very much that dynamic hi-res options exist. Someone mentioned the new Black Keys album. I think it is fantastic musically and bought the HD Tracks version, which is DR 6 and clipped to death. Horrible/ unlistenable. I don't have vinyl nor plan on getting a set up, so I have to listen to the crap mastering.

I guess I'll send the Hyptnotic Eye blu ray right back. Or better yet, anyone want to buy an unopened Blu Ray at a discount? (seriously--PM me).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Probably some of these folks are into vinyl and are indifferent to CD sound quality (and may even be happy that that the CD is inferior).

17. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

So, the CD is the most compressed/peak limited of all available formats. Well done! :wtf:

Davidmk5 and nbakid2000 like this.
  18. What point are you trying to make? I'm a bit confused.

19. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

What's up with the album cover. Is this one of those pictures where you're suppose to see something in it?

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes. Armchair audio engineers with torches.

21. Albums shouldn't be judged on their front cover, no matter how bad or good they are. Albums should only be judged on the music they contain.

gsmile likes this.
  22. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Late to this thread however a real simple question - is the 180g double lp only available from Petty's website or are there other retailers (online and brick&mortar) selling it?

23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Maybe he just wants to judge the album cover.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  24. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.