Tom Petty - "Hypnotic Eye" -- new album (and tour) this summer*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Truthfully, I hear no similarities whatsoever to his early work. He's still talking his way through songs, pretty much as he's done since the Traveling Wilburys.

I downloaded it and barely got through one listening. It's pleasant enough and will probably sell well. It didn't grab me at all. I deleted the files.

D.B. likes this.
  2. I guess he's never hear any of Dylan's records since 99. Some of his best ever.

Carserguev and She is anyway like this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

To a point, I understand where you are coming from. However, at the same time, you could buy the album, decide what you think of the music, and even comment about it. You don't have to wait for others.

4. My impression so far: Petty's strongest album since "Wildflowers" (yes, I know that one was a solo album, but still...). That said, I don't really think "Hypnotic Eye" is evocative of Petty's '70s releases.

5. Or he could listen to the whole album on Spotify. After all, not everyone can afford buying music they're merely curious about. That's how I decide, whether I wish to purchase the physical product.

Myke likes this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I love this record. I am still getting to know it. You get me high, American Dream Plan B, and Shadow People are my favorite tracks so far. The keyboards and heavy guitar remind me of Mojo...but this record seems less jam driven a little bit more focused than Mojo...some clever lyrics...

Golden Richards and Carserguev like this.
  7. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Rick did you buy this directly from Tom Petty's website?

8. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I see the Blue Ray is available on Amazon.ca? Why are they not available on TP's site?

9. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

I had a chance to hear HE for the first time last night (...I have the Blu-ray edition..). I absolutely love this album on first listen, which I'm quite shocked by really. I expected I would like it well enough, as there is not much from Tom that I don't enjoy, but every song on HE stuck to me immediately. The band sounds tight and focused on this record, and Tom came up with some excellent songs and melodies. Granted, Tom does not sing or have the vocal power like he used to in the 70s/80s, and I can understand the issues people have with his singing voice sounding more like talking these days......but there are definitely catchy melodies in these tracks, even if they don't come across as forcefully as they did in the "old days".

Golden Richards, stem and Carserguev like this.
  10. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

it takes about 3 listens for the melodies to surface.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I mentioned this in a precious thread, Stan has some swing with his drumming style. Steve is good but, lacks any swing IMO.

Dee Zee, Jack and goombay like this.
  12. Thanks for posting that!

Great review of a great album and artist.

Wynn stole my brain when he wrote that, including the comment pertaining to Petty's output the past 35 years, maybe the baseball part of our brains connected.

Anyway, I find it impossible for some to listen once and toss it. I find it simultaneously grabbing with hooks - but also sliding me in deeper and deeper with seductive rhythm , wisdom-god lyrics, substantial musical interludes and- well hypnotic rock and roll seduction.

I am finding new and interesting layers and corners upon each listening

mick_sh likes this.
  13. Yes, but with the bonus track Playin' Dumb (which is a kick-ass track) included with the FLAC downloads which is also on the Blu-ray audio.

14. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I bought the blu ray audio version.
    It is available at Sunrise on Yonge St for all my Toronto friends.
    First listen, I liked it.
    The lyrics are good, it rocks, very guitar driven as Mojo was.
    My first thought was it is Mojo Two.
    Which is okay with me because I think Mojo is one his Petty's best.
    SQ is good.
    The album rocks out.
    I think these songs will come across great in concert.
    Glen

15. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

i wouldnt say the album rocks but its a very good album, a bit too clean sounding but overall very good.

16. gkella

Well it certainly isn't an album of MOR ballads.

17. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

neither is it a Cinderella album. like a lotta people lately, it has a bit of a late Dylanish americana flavor to it.

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Hey, every thread is precious.

Steve Ferrone is a great drummer. So was Stan Lynch. There are so many highly significant factors and subtle factors in in the evolution and changes in the Heartbrakers sound, but the switch in druumers isn't even near the top in importance IMO. Ferrone is different, but not in any way a downward step. He rocks, profoundly.

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Fine. I just don't appreciate people who complain when they are expecting, more like demanding, others to do the work.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The bonus track on the blu-ray "Playin' Dumb" is very nice. Should have made the album. There are at least 4 tracks I could drop in a heartbeat that it should have replaced.

21. gkella

If you think Cinderella is a good example of an album that rocks, I guess
    we just have a if different definition of the term.
    Maybe we should start a thread..albums that rock..

22. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

yea Night Songs rocks quite a bit harder than this particular album.

celticbob likes this.
  23. Yes I did. It arrived last Thursday

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I would 110% agree with the proposition that Petty's body of work as a whole is superior to Springsteen's body of work as a whole. Your mileage may vary, and that's cool.

25. 905

905 Senior Member

I thought this thread was about how loud this album is. But now we are discussing Petty and Springsteen and Dylan. Those three together again!
    It's all opinion anyway. I think The River and Tunnel of Love are great masterpieces of pop/rock music, others think they are lesser Springsteen.
    I think Echo is the best Heartbreakers album as a whole, others think that's odd and that it's lesser Petty.
    I think Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft are two of Dylan's best, that many agree with.
    Let's just say they all are great and hopefully they make people happy and dance until the end of electricity.

Having said that, I strongly maintain that Petty seems to be the one who still has fire in his belly. Now if Springsteen has a Rocky V moment and loses everything and starts wearing his scruffy era clothes again, then we may have a contest.

mick_sh and Jerryb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.