Tom Petty - "Hypnotic Eye" -- new album (and tour) this summer*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

There are only 4 Rocky movies. Don't argue this with me either.

905 likes this.
  2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I wish I could "like" this post 100 times.

Cinderella? Wow .........

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Now we are talking about Cinderella? Maybe I'd care about them if they had a drummer that could swing like Steven Adler!

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I was in the minority who liked Mojo, so I'll say this is his best album since Mojo, lol. Still digesting the new one, but the new one and Mojo are a pretty darn strong late-career statement.

theMess, Mark E. Moon, rd1 and 4 others like this.
  5. 905

905 Senior Member

Or Stan Lynch.
    I can quote my posts, but I can't give them likes. :shake:

6. 905

905 Senior Member

I need to listen to that Mojo album if you like it, your enthusiasm about R.E.M. made me explore their albums. Petty didn't play any Echo songs (IIRC) during the St. Louis show in Summer '05 so I've passed on his albums since then.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The Steve Wynn article quoted above makes some good points about Petty's career. When you've been around as long as he has, it's hard for a new album to jump out compared to the past classics like Damn the Torpedoes and Wildflowers that we've listened to hundreds of times and love. Echo isn't my favorite album of Tom's, but, there are tracks on it that I like, which is true of all of his albums, even the "bad" ones (and I'd say the say the same of R.E.M's late-career "bad" albums).

zobalob and 905 like this.
  8. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I wish I could like your post a thousand times !!!

9. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

whats wrong with Cinderella? Great group, and they most certainly rock harder than Petty.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Um, who?

11. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Tom Keifer is a great talent, i seen Cinderalla and Tom Petty live many times going back many years and its no contest as to who rocks harder. Sorry guys.

12. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I agree. Ferrone does more than a capable job on this album. His performance on the cymbals in particular caught my attention on a couple of tracks.

Carserguev likes this.
  13. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Goofy. What does Springsteen's fashion sense have to do with his ability to kick ass in a rock setting? He already dresses quite earthy (leather, earrings) for a multimillionaire, mostly due to his rock star profession... but it's good that Petty can still rock if that's your point.

Carserguev likes this.
  14. You can actually hear the cymbals through all that compression? ;)

Golden Richards likes this.
  15. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The last half of the album is really good. "Shadow People" is one of his best in years. But for all of the "sounds like the first two albums" hype, this one reminds me more of Echo and Mojo with a little Mudcrutch sprinkled in.

Complier, jammincrowe and smilin ed like this.
  16. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Please tell me just what's wrong with Rocky Balboa AKA Rocky 6?

somebodywhocares and 905 like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

When I listen to the whole production of each song and the album as a whole, I think that virtually all the performances are right on and there seems to me there is a meticulous attention to lyrical and musical detail in the composition, arrangements and playing that seem a natural complement to each song - songs which I almost all find very appealing. Maybe once in awhile I feel like a guitar sound might be a tad heavy or overly seeming to me to be trying to sound too badass, but literally everything on this album sounds thoughtfully composed and musically entertaining and intricately placed, and I am under the initial impression it is a wonderful collection of songs and performances and daresay is a great album. I would rather not have to spend $25 on the bluray, as I already spent 10 on the cd. Hey, how about I send the cd to the TP website and they split the difference on the bluray, or a promo works too, :). Heh.

jammincrowe and Matze S. like this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mike Campbell is a badass. :cool:

19. No contest as to who writes the greatest songs, either.

20. dee

dee Senior Member

Wait, :), I didn't mean to like your post, I meant to reply to it, lol, but merely to say...I can't argue with Elvis! He is still in this building somewhere! Yes I think he's a good player, :).

Myke likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Like the opening track ..sounds like Word Up.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  22. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Pre-ordered the lp from Amazon.union flag for sound plus packaging and got the -vo vbr Mp3's to tide me over (encoded in Lame 3.99U) as well as for portable listening as a freebee.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  23. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

It don't sound that compressed.:thumbsup:

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I bought the blu-ray, so I'm good with the sound there. But its frustrating to see the disparity. Yes, numbers don't always tell the whole story, but when there is this much of a disparity from simultaneous releases, they tell enough of one. Since Petty and his team obviously understand the value of good mastering and dynamics (blu-ray and hi-rez releases aren't dynamically compressed), why do they not apply this philosophy to the CD? I likely would have bought the CD in addition to the blu-ray had they released it with the same mastering, but I'm not going to bother now.

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Yeah, but he is not as badass as the guys in Cinderella. (I would put in a smily face here, but don't know how)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.