Tom Petty Live Anthology Reissue???*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Richie, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I see that now. I hadn’t gotten that far in the thread.

2. cypert2

cypert2 Forum Resident

Got mine from MD today. Was in perfect shape. Mine had 180 gr hype sticker. Weighed two of the records. Right around 160 gr each. Listened to first two records. Both dead flat, dead quiet and sound fantastic. These are undoubtably represses, but man I’m so glad I got them. Well worth it.

The Killer and 500Homeruns like this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I understand. My point was that the companies make money on premium products such as heavy weight vinyl, because people buy them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Good enough for me - since the recent boxes seem to be consistently in the 150-160 range, we have a different pressing. When it was done, why the absence of any information prior to release, why some feel the packaging appears old, why the incorrect hype sticker, etc. - those questions remain.

5. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

I just submitted a new release on Discogs for the 2018 repress.

B-Mike likes this.
  6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I really appreicate you doing this "weigh in" on your original 2009 pressings of the "Live Anthology" Vinyl Box Set!
    Now we just need a forum member with the new "2018 re-pressing" do a "weigh in" just like you did, Katstep!
    Anyone with a good scale and some free time? Help?

7. David P. Hill

So 160 gram, 20 gram more, that's not really that much more, hard to recognize. right?

8. David P. Hill

Check thread #645

Mazzy likes this.
  9. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

The weird thing is that this release totally came out of the blue. Why no announcement for it? This is a set that has been elusive for years and people have been clamoring for it, so why not get people all excited for it instead of a mysterious "warehouse" find story at first.

Not complaining, but with the age of so much hype and build up for things it's kind of refreshing to have a surprise every once in a while.

10. :tiphat:
    I already did and posted awhile back. All are 150 to 160g plus. :tiphat: None are 140.

nfmboss666 and Opeth like this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I'm not going to weigh each record, but I can tell you that the box I got is 5 pounds, 10-11 ounces when sealed.

12. Weights for both editions have been posted here several times already. :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Awwwwww....

Mazzy likes this.
  14. David P. Hill

My so-called sealed repressed box set feels heavy too, a good 5lbs and more.
    It came with yellow hype sticker too. Mine came from CCM.

15. David P. Hill

Hope they are 180 gram!

16. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Here are my results from set I purchased in 2010. I am also adding the run-out groove handwritten messages for each side:

Total set weight (without wrapping): 2742 grams (6.04 pounds)

Record 1: 177 grams
    Side 1 message: That's Scott not Ben
    Side 2 message: You kids sit down

Record 2: 181 grams
    Side 3 message: Drums N (SCIBBLE) Spar(SCIBBLE)
    Side 4 message: Kiss my Amps!

Record 3: 177 grams
    Side 5 message: Stear(?) the Equipment
    Side 6 message: Why so loud?

Record 4: 184 grams
    Side 7 message: Stage 3 Ignition
    Side 8 message: Out of the dressing room

Record 5: 177 grams
    Side 9 message: Don't touch the microphone
    Side 10 message: Bigger in person

Record 6: 175 grams
    Side 11 message: You're scaring my ears
    Side 12 message: No sound check today

Record 7: 182 grams
    Side 13 message: Fr(SCRIBBLE) (SCIBBLE)n open 3
    Side 14 message: Circle the bases

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    ttownscott, MartyTem, chacha and 2 others like this.
  17. They are not. They are 150-160. Why do you hope they are 180? Makes no different in sound or quality

18. David P. Hill

I'm just saying I hope the repressed TB Box 2 is 180 gram vinyl just like the first pressing of Box 2, just for the sake of the new buyers having that choice. That's all.

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Got my CD set of this in the mail. Less than 1 pound.

Meanwhile, as not a very serious Tom Petty fan, after listening to the first CD (of 4) all the way through, there was maybe half the CD that'd I'd really need to hear again. So buying the LP set probably would have been a waste for me. Still, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

20. That’s fine, I was referring to the live Anthology the subject of this thread.

21. David P. Hill

That's cool! I'm still on the fence with mine. Just got it today from CCM. The artwork and workmanship on this box set is quite impressive. It's still heavy like a 180 box set.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

The new press is supposed to be a 140gr pressing. In reality they are about 160 grams. Original are about 180 grams. 20 grams per record is about 5 ounces. Not enough to tell by touch but enough difference by weighing for the purists to claim first editions. Great music all around. An unequivocal win- win.

23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Got mine from MD today, kind of bummed there's some damage to the box and corner crush. It had the fake old sticker on it too. There's a pretty hefty scrape down to the plastic the cover of the box set is made of, yet the shrink is intact. I call resealed BS. Emailed MD we'll see what happens. The records are mostly flat.

24. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

A lot of the first issues arrived with corner damage. The spine is very delicate. Maybe the lighter records will help that on the reissue.

aoxomoxoa and Opeth like this.
  25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Not sure if these are the repress or not. If I had to guess these seem on the lighter side. Beefier than 140 gram records I have and lighter than a lot of 180 gram records I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.