Tom Waits In the Coen Brothers’ New Movie, "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Willie Watson is in the cast, too. Tim Blake Nelson plays a singing cowboy. I am down for both the soundtrack and a ticket on release date (or a couch reservation if it shows up on Netflix before it gets to a local theater. :))
    [​IMG]

audiomixer and budwhite like this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

...added the film title to the thread subject.

crispi likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't think you did ticket sales a favor adding that title. Ugh, what a horrible title. Sounds like the double feature along with Aaron Slick of Pumpkin Creek.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any 'lation ta Earl?

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Tom has been unusually quiet this year musically. I wondered if he was going for the easy buck in films...............

7. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I didn’t even know the Coen Brothers has announced they were working on a movie. The Coen Brothers have always been good with westerns and western-inflected films, so this should be interesting. Apparently it was supposed to be an anthology series at some point, which makes me wonder how it will stand as a single, cohesive project.

8. Ken_McAlinden

chrischerm, Chris DeVoe and crispi like this.
  9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

That headline's pretty hilarious too. Especially if it was actually written by a professional writer. Who speaks English. o_O

10. Ken_McAlinden

They are NME, they need to hit the music angle hard to justify the article even if it gets awkward.;)

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Sure, but it just makes no sense. Your headline for the thread is coherent; theirs isn't. "Details of Tom Waits-Featuring New Movie" is just gibberish.

johnnyyen likes this.
  12. Ken_McAlinden

"Tom Waits-featuring" is the compound adjective of the future!

93curr likes this.
  13. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

The first trailer makes me want to see this film but I've been fooled by Cohen trailers before ('Hail, Caesar!').

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

and he's in the new Robert Redford movie as well

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

this looks really cool! can't wait to see it !

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Anyone go see it in a theater?
    According to the review today, it's 4 or 5 vignettes, full of the wonderful fractured storytelling we expect.

17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

So far...It's a good 'un.

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I might seeing it tonight. Love me a new western and the Coen brothers are always great more or less

19. That's it, I'm hooked!

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife is going to go see this tonight. She only wants to see films in the theater and she's really annoyed by this trend of every director doing television shows.

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Mr. Thomas Alan Waits as "Waller" in the film The Old Man & the Gun.
    Two "Forrest Tucker"s?
    Who knew?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Spadeygrove likes this.
  22. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Six short stories set in the Wild West.

It's a decent movie with the usual strengths and weaknesses of the Coen Brothers work. The strengths are first rate immaculate production values, great visuals, an abundance of style, lots of good dialogue, odd humour, surprising moments and inventive writing. The weaknesses are a hollow lack of soul and a lack of an actual overall purpose. Many of their stories just don't seem to have any actual point or purpose. I would say that five of these six stories suffer from having endings that don't particularly go anywhere satisfying.

Story 1: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs – Authentically peculiar, stylish, funny and very surprising but it felt pointless with a climax that didn’t seem to go anywhere.

Story 2: Near Algodones – Funny and mildly surprising but as a story it felt pointless with a climax that didn’t seem to go anywhere.

Story 3: Meal Ticket – By far the weakest story. It’s too long, too taciturn and isn’t interesting with an obvious climax I saw coming from a mile away. It should have been half the length. It’s a dreary plod with a depressing tone.

Story 4: All Gold Canyon – It was okay but there isn’t much of a story. Not a lot happens. It doesn’t really go anywhere nor do anything interesting as a story. It was too slow and overlong. This plodding story back-to-back with Meal Ticket means the middle of the film drags quite badly. These two slow stories should not be together as they kill the pace. It’s the least substantial of the stories.

Story 5: The Gal Who Got Rattled – By far the most substantial story. It starts a bit so-so but it gets better and better as it goes on and ends with an excellent action scene. This ended up being borderline brilliant with some real emotional heft. It has a great climax.

Story 6: The Mortal Remains – Entertaining talkative story but it doesn’t seem to go anywhere. It doesn’t seem to add up to the sum of its parts. It’s also very, very reminiscent of Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight (2015) to the point it has no identity of its own. The climax is very weak but frankly I have to confess I didn’t understand it. Everyone gets nervous and I’m not sure why. SPOILER: Did they think the bounty hunters were going to kill them and then relaxed as they now think they are safe?

Order of best to worst: 5, 1, 2, 4, 6 and then 3.

Overall: Good (but flawed)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  23. Ken_McAlinden

For Mortal Remains,
    The implication is that they are starting to realize/suspect that they are all already dead

24. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Easy buck?

somnar likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was reading how this was supposed to be six separate episodes and a mini series, but the Coen felt the stories worked in a specific order and were worried people would skip around and not view them as a whole, so they made it a single movie. I don't why? First of all, people don't "skip around" series that much, secondly, I think you could have put these stories in any damned order you wanted

Somewhat Damaged rankings are about right for me, too.

Order of best to worst: 5, 1, 2, 4, 6 and then 3 -- which was also just sloppily done.

In fact, I think a few episodes could have been directed by anyone. Some were pretty generic. I thought the craziness of the first episode was great. Like a dark underground cartoon with a gleeful homicidal maniac as it's hero. Reminded me, in spirit, of the work of Al Columbia.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.