"Tomorrowland" Is a Mess!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Commonality is not causality.

(Since you brought exponents into things, there is more mathematics I could go into...but I won't do that.)

2. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I had high hopes for this one until I saw the first trailer.

I had a strong, unfortunate feeling this was going to prove Bird's first artistic flop.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Tomorrowland tie-in is vaguely nauseating. But they need something to revamp that area of the park --- it really blows.

sunspot42, OldSoul and Jrr like this.
  4. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Active Member

I'm not the target market for this movie but I couldn't help but sigh and look into my palms after 10 seconds of the trailer. Visually exhausting with entirely too much going on. A common trend for movies these days.

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I don't give a stuff about reviews ! I will go see the film ! In fact I will probably never read a review ever again after the mauling of The Lone Ranger which I think was a great film killed by losers who have something against Depp ! I think this film has a interesting concept and far better than seeing another remake of something or another superhero film ! people go see the films and tv shows and don't judge it before you have because some "Reviewer" thinks it is rubbish!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

How in the world do you make a 90 minute movie based on Small World? Guess that's why I don't make movies for a living, but still, hard to imagine. Just not a good idea saying "lets take a Disney themed area and make a movie about it." Not inspiring at all! I think you need a great, fresh idea first and then you make a movie around that. They are putting writers in a box and forcing them to come up with something imo.

Edit....noticed the comment about Small World was intended as a joke. But nothing would surprise me!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    OldSoul likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man, I loved the first two. I really hope they don't screw it up. Same with Planet of the Apes movies...imo great so far. I get worried when they change writers and producers.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I feel that way about so many previews! Half of them seem to do nothing to tell me what the movie is actually about.

9. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

You'd think Clooney would know better.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have no problem with the writer so many seem to hate here. But I have no interest in seeing Wonderland.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

E
    Everyone has their limit$ ;)

Captain Groovy likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Clooney hasn't proven himself to be
    The other half give away every plot twist and turn in the movie!

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'll have to remember that and use it at work. Folks are often making to many assumptions and making cause and effect conclusions.

14. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

My nine year old daughter (<----that's a picture of three year old her over there) really, really wants to see this...mostly based on seeing the initial trailer, with the girl picking up an ring/object thingy and being momentarily transported to a different place. It was an extremely intriguing trailer, but I think me and my daughter were expecting some sort of Hunger Games/Divergent type film.....and now, having seen the new, longer commercials but not having read about the movie...I have no clue what it is about.

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The trailers looked hideous. This is no surprise...
    It's so easy to save money these days; don't go to the movies. :D

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Especially after "Gravity".

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Didn't they already do that one under a different moniker? Honey I Shrunk the Kids.
    Or is this just a re-boot? :)

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's not a total disaster yet, 74% so far.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You should change the title of this thread to, "BLAME LINDELOF !"

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I just finally saw the trailer in a theater prior to “Mad Max”, and I can’t say I thought it looked *that* bad based on the trailer. The premise seemed vaguely intriguing. It actually appeared vaguely more sci-fi-ish than I had previously thought. Yes, the film title itself and its tie-in to the theme parks is nauseating.

If the film has a Lost-ish finale with a lack of closure and all of that, then that could be disappointing. But based solely on the trailer, I don’t get why there would be that much hate. It didn’t strike me as any more vapid or overly-busy than any other action film trailer.

21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Ha! I remember when Prometheus began it's brilliant marketing campaign my friends, coworkers, and I were all incredibly excited. It looked beautiful and had big themes and ideas so it was right up everyone's alley. Then I saw Lindelof's name as writer I backed out immediately and loudly while all my friends gave me flak for "hating on" something I hadn't even seen. I explained that since this guy wrote the movie I already knew exactly what it was - a pretty, intriguing, mystery box that once opened would have nothing inside except maybe a picture of Lindelof making it rain (happily throwing cash around). And I wasn't proven wrong.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Or be really honest and rename it: LOST WHINERS. Still little cry babies after all these years.

Scott222C likes this.
  23. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I have a copy of this script before Lindelof got involved and it is much tighter, more thoughtful, smarter, and feels like a more satisfying story than we ultimately got. No doubt that studio execs who had boxoffice dollars on their minds also had a hand but I don't think it's a situation where his hands were tied creatively. The work he's involved in all have faults which are much too similar to simply give him a pass.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Hey.... I get it.... his name is on some weak cheese there.
    The guy get more chances than a Monopoly board!

mikeyt likes this.
  25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I had actually forgotten he was involved with World War Z, Cowboys & Aliens, and Star Trek. I didn't hate World War Z, but I blamed the lackluster story on it's general creative direction. For Star Trek I put blame on Abrahams, Orci, and Kurtman both of whom I believe were also involved with Transformers. When the news of Orci taking over for the next Star Trek hit I laughed out loud. Cowboys & Aliens seemed like a disaster stemming from every direction.

You also have to remember that co-writing credits don't always mean that an office was shared and notes and ideas were actively discussed, but the script was passed along later to someone else and the writing credits stuck regardless of how much of their original work was left. I'm with you that Lindelof isn't soley to blame on the examples above, but I think he leaves enough of his mark to take the heat with Prometheus and Tomorrowland.

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.