Tonearm wiring issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Help! I picked up a pre-owned Clearaudio Concept from a dealer and have been experiencing a bad buzzing and I think it's a tonearm wiring issue but wanted to see if anyone had other thoughts before I return it.

This is what I get with the table resting, no power even power connected and with or without the cartridge connected.

I've had over a dozen tables and never had this issue so I'm not new to the hobby, but sometimes staring at a problem, you miss the obvious.

Normally my VPI Prime is in this system and is dead silent.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Can't say for sure that it's tonearm wiring but it sure sounds like a loose connection.

3. If you are getting both stereo channels, I'd think that it is a grounding or connection issue. I guess that the sound you are hearing is like when you touch the wires/plugs on the cartridge. I had a turntable which had a connector issue and would buzz occasionally. Instead of fixing the problem, I waited until one day the buzzing knocked out the output transistors in my receiver.

4. dolsey01

It did play back both channels. I should have pulled out the multi-meter to check it. Maybe I'll give it one last shot tonight.

5. dolsey01

All sorted out, it was the cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.