Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Episode of 12/14/10, title: "NINE HOURS".

If you saw it tonight, you'll agree. If you didn't see it, try and see it, even if you've never watched the show.

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

How many do you have to watch to "get the show?"

Do you have to start at episode 1, or can you jump in and get caught up in a few episodes?

3. music4life

music4life Senior Member

My wife got me hooked on this show this season. She's been watching it since last season. Tonight's show was stellar!

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

5. Never watched an episode of this show, maybe give it a try.

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

One of the best such shows I've ever seen. :agree:

(It's just that I've seen waaay too many such shows. :sigh: :shh: )

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ridley Scott's involved too ! :righton:

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I loved it.

I've always liked Julianna Margulies and Josh Charles, so The Good Wife isn't hard to like from a casting p.o.v., but they do some excellent storytelling as well, and this was an especially good episode. One thing I appreciate about this show is that characters don't sit around telling each other things which, if they didn't know them, they wouldn't have their jobs in the first place. This is so prevalent on CBS, on those idiot CSI programs in particular.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This was a great episode of one of the best shows on tv; I've been watching it since Day One.

Last night the pacing and the "story device" lined up and created a great 42 minutes of tv. Especially since tv has been pretty lean the past couple of weeks.

tomhayes, you can enjoy the show without the "backstory." But, truthfully, I think the backstory enahances the viewing. But if you pick it up here and now, you'll be able to slowly see the backstory revealed to you.

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Probably the best written and acted drama on TV this season.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

An amazing hour. We've watched the show every week since it premiered, and while it's always good, last night's episode was definitly superlative.

I noticed the pacing right away. Usually the story takes a while to percolate - this one grabbed me from the first minutes, and never let up right through to the conclusion.

Good stuff.

Harry

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I liked it--and I watch The Good Wife religiously, so I've seen them all. But I didn't really think it stood head and shoulders above other series peaks. It's a very good series, with an INCREDIBLY deep bench of interesting characters.

And as others have noted, one of the appealing things about the show is that the characters talk at a level commensurate with their positions.

And it was cool seeing the real Barry Scheck, head of the real Innocence Project, with a speaking cameo. They've done this a few times with real life personalities playing themselves, and they actually do it well...Kerry's OMFG moment when he realized it really was Scheck on the phone was terrific...

The weakest part of the show was how easily Kalinda was able to cajole the arson expert to come on board. After 10 years and a zillion appeals, she catches him in an airport and he concedes "could have been wrong"? That was too easy, but obviously necessary given time constraints.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It's serial storytelling, so it helps to have seen every episode. The "politics" part would be clearer, I think, if you'd seen every episode. CBS has only two eps online, last night's and the season premiere http://www.cbs.com/video/. Maybe the season premiere can help you catch up.

Or, it's out on DVD: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...s=the+good+wife&x=0&y=0&sprefix=the+good+wife

My favorite episode was one that played out in real time this season. It's rare to see that kind of theatrical writing on TV (it happens next to never), and it seemed to me the actors really liked being in something more like a play than the scripts they usually do.

The Good Wife is my favorite show that doesn't have singing twentysomethings playing teenagers.

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Been watching THE GOOD WIFE from the start. Best show and best writing of all that I watch.
    So many great back stories.

15. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

Excellent episode last night. I think this show is just outstanding and the best thing on the air.

16. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

My wife and I agree. If anyone missed the first season, find a way to rent or download it. This is the best drama on network TV.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

9 hours to find out what we missed or carter dies. Good stuff.

18. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

it's a nice, balanced ensemble cast, w/the writing being the real star; the rise and fall of her affections for her once wayward husband form a nice back-drop that comes to the fore from time to time. dynamics of family and professional life, w/the kids taking a much more realistic part.

difficult to think of a better show on a major Net.

doug

19. One of the best certainly but THE best? That's a pretty strong claim. There were a lot of returning shows this season that have been hitting them out of the park regularly.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  20. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

In true television fashion, Southland, my other favorite show, returns January 4 at 9:00 c right against The Good Wife. Aaaargh!

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Thanks, I didn't know when SouthLAnd was coming back. It's my other favorite show, too. I hope it doesn't lose any of its essential LA-ness in the TNT conversion.

And you should be able to watch either of them online the next day. I do that currently with The Good Wife, Detroit 187, and Parenthood, Tuesdays at 10.

Does anyone know how weighted online watching is? I know I pay a lot more attention to commercials when I watch online than over broadcast.

22. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I watched the show when it started until mid-season. Julianna Margulies I can take or leave, but I tuned in primarily for Josh Charles, who co-starred in the great Sports Night.

I guess I got tired of the Peter storyline. Having lived in Cook County most of my life, I can say that the State's Attorney is pretty far down the list of major political positions in Illinois (I follow local politics pretty closely and had to Google the current SA). Plus, the corruption in our fine state almost always involves money, not sex.

But I suppose that's a nitpick of a local, as is the fact that the show is obviously not shot in Chicago. Margulies' other show, ER, did such a great job with its exteriors that you really felt that the hospital was in Chicago.

Having said all that, I couldn't ignore the praise the show's been getting this season, so I've DVRed the last two episodes and picked up the S1 DVD to catch up on the second half of the year. Nitpicks aside, the writing is good, and there's not much new this season to compete for my time.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Why didn't they locate the show in NY, since they shoot there? I ask myself that at least once an episode.

Also, speaking of locations, did anyone else confuse the prison with the college exteriors?

25. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Those who subscribe to Time-Warner cable here in Los Angeles can view "The Good Wife" on On Demand
    channel 1. The menu listing is "primetime" It's in HD and with no commercials other then a few short CBS promos. Not sure about Time-Warner in other areas.

-Steve D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.