Too Much "Star Wars"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GLUDFSSR, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I bought a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Reese's Puffs for my kid last week and each has Star Wars toys inside.

2. I understand your feelings and respect them...even if they are wrong :)
    I look for the clever insertion of STAR WARS, the clever commercial or ad, and the things that catch me off guard.
    The rest of it just sorta passes me by.
    As long as the advertising does not contain anything Jar Jar Binks I will be okay with it.

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Even if it isn't, the people here will take care of making it so...

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Whaaat?! You didn't get yer kid these?
    [​IMG]
    I remember having those when I was a kid...pretty awful, as I recall:laugh:

Too much Star Wars hype? Hey, we still got another three and a half weeks to go before the damn movie opens in theatres...we ain't seen nuthin' yet probably.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They really need to make those again. I want to try them. :)

6. ohnothimagen

No you don't, Paul- like I said, they were pretty bad: imagine if you will a gross combination of the texture of Cheerios with the taste of something like Honey Comb with a bit of Alpha Bits thrown in...there was a good reason 3POS cereal wasn't on the market for very long...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I thought they were good!

8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

The weirdest "Star Wars" tie-in I've seen thus far have been bottles of Coffee-Mate coffee creamer with "Star Wars" character graphics on the label. (Chewie, Vader, Boba Fett, R2D2, and C3PO, depending on which flavor you buy.) Who the heck looks at Boba Fett and sez "Hmm, he looks like an Italian Sweet Cream kinda guy?"

9. Is this for when you declare galactic war on your butthole?

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If by that you mean "after you've had Taco Bell", then yes. :)

11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Live long and prosper!

12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I used to LOVE getting little figures and toys in cereal boxes. Probably cemented my life-long addiction to the stuff.

13. ohnothimagen

:laugh: Well to be fair when I was a kid I quite liked Count Chocula (shudders)...no accounting for taste, I know. What the hell, it was over thirty years ago...

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I've tuned out most of the advertising for the new "Star Wars" movie because Episodes 1, 2, and 3 (E123) left me disappointed on the whole (I enjoyed the "Clone Wars" CGI-animated movie much more than E123), and killed much of my interest in the new movies. I might see the new movie at the theater, but I might just wait for it to come out on video.

15. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

The property that practically launched mass marketing being handled by its biggest propagator.
    It makes me feel uneasy to be honest. It's blatantly everywhere and what gets me most is how apparently everyone is a longtime massive fan despite not caring when no movies were out.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A robot predicts a bomb starting at 2:00

Jupiter likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Too much over saturation,makes repulsed every time i see it on the cover of every magazine. Saying that, the trailer looks promising. :)

18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Aside from the teaser that dropped on Black Friday 2014 and the SW Celebration teaser, along with the D23 behind-the scenes; I really only noticed the hype kick up since the MNF trailer airing and the pre-sale tickets started. That's about 8 weeks before the actual opening day. I suppose that's a tad early to do a market launch but I'm sure they factored in Halloween costume sales, etc.

Read the other day that Disney has only really done about 5% of their planned marking for TFA. I think they are really gunning for the biggest opening ever and maybe the highest grossing film ever. And I think there's a very good chance it will achieve both.

They have the fans on board, they are gunning for casual movie goers and kids now. The good thing, for everyone, is that all of the pieces seem to be in place for this to be an actual worthy successor to the OT. Read recent interviews with Abrams and Kasdan that really warm my heart about their process and what they were going for.

19. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Many, if not most, of us who grew up on Star Wars when it was current grew up in a market saturated with SW merchandise. I completely understand why some might be sick of it, but as a 42 year old who lived through the original trilogy, this feels like my childhood. And surely their marketing gurus understand this. Even at my age, I now go into stores with an eye out for the Star Wars stuff, and there's a little thrill seeing it all over the place. So, no, I'm not sick of it at all. I'm finding this to be a blast.

20. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I guess I'm lucky because somehow I've avoided all this promotional overkill. I have no idea whether I'll see the movie -- waiting on the reviews.

21. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I remember it being announced months ago, but I haven't seen any advertisements.

I guess their promotional budget has failed, at least in its attempt to reach me.

Where do you people go to see all this stuff?

22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't know about TV commercials, as I DVR pretty much any TV stuff I watch.

But stores are filled with Star Wars stuff. I mentioned in another thread, even craft stores like Michaels have a Star Wars display, and it isn't all "craft" stuff. It's just regular Star Wars stuff. I don't remember seeing Star Wars stuff in so many non-traditional outlets like that back in 1999-2005 for the prequels. And obviously, the stuff is ever-present right now in every traditional retailer (Target, Walmart, etc.), and not just in the "toy" section. Clothes, numerous food tie-ins, dinner ware, etc.

It's difficult to measure how much *more* prevalent this is versus other movie properties or past Star Wars promotions. But I would find it difficult to *not* at least understand why some people would find it annoying and over-exposed. I found this to be true for the Minions movie a little while back, and that wasn't even as heavy as the current Star Wars stuff.

23. danner

danner Forum Resident

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but if this hysteria clears the last bits of Duck Dynasty merchandise off the shelves, I'm willing to tolerate it.

24. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Hmmm I don't know. Let me ask one of my dogs, Yoda, Solo or Obi. I'd ask Vader or Jedi, two companions who have left our family over the years, but they haven't learned how to use the force to communicate with me from the beyond. The slackers!!

:D

25. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'll relive my childhood and go to see this movie in the theater. But the promotion is becoming over-saturated and that's coming from a guy who doesn't own a television. I'm tuning out of Star Wars until Dec 18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.