Top 5 "Steals" Found on MFSL/DCC Discs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CSamuel84, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CSamuel84

CSamuel84 New Member Thread Starter

Good evening everyone! New to the forum, but have been reading and following for a couple of years now. Excited to finally join in the discussion. I've learned all sorts of useful information on this forum from researching audio quality on various titles over the past couple years. So, wanted to say a quick "thank you" to everyone involved in maintaining and keeping the site up!

I thought this might be a fun question to hear some responses on, and perhaps incite a little healthy jealousy:)
    What are the 5 best deals you guys have found on MFSL/DCC CD's over the years? I just started collecting them about 3 years ago. I have about 35-40 titles. I like to challenge myself a little bit, though. For the most part, I stick to two rules: 1) Not spend over $40 for a title. 2) No Ebay unless absolutely necessary/I can't live without having a certain title. I have to find it in the wild (the thrill of the hunt is one of my favorite things about collecting). To date, I have yet to spend over $40. And, I have broken the Ebay rule only 3 times. For Quadrophenia MFSL, Moving Pictures MFSL, and Highway 61 DCC.

My 5 Best "Steals"
    1) The Wall MFSL - $29.99 (outer box didn't even have a scratch on it!)
    2) Joshua Tree MFSL - $17.99
    3) Frampton Comes Alive MFSL - $18.99 (outer box was a little dinged up, but discs and cases immaculate)
    4) To Catch A Fire MFSL - $15.99 (still sealed)
    5) L.A. Woman DCC & The Doors DCC - $12.99 each (found both of those on the same trip:)

Looking forward to hearing some other lists!

Sam

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think the deals are there, for now. But, you'll likely see the price of these more limited releases going up in the near future. These masterings aren't something that can easily be sold as downloads. The market for them is rising. If you want to continue finding these deals, I would suggest you not continue this discussion. You are only tilting the supply vs demand equation toward higher demand. Your quest for vanity could be your own undoing. Tread lightly.

Remy likes this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Same with me - I found both of the above for $15 in the same bin. They were my first DCC CDs.

George P likes this.
  4. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Here's a jaw dropper for you. Back in the late 90's when I was working at Blockbuster Music (formerly Turtle's) they had a clearance on MFSL titles. I think it was around the time they (MFSL) started having some difficulties:

1. R.E.M. Reckoning
    2. R.E.M. Murmur
    3. U2 War
    4. U2 The Unforgettable Fire

All for $4.99 each, without using my employee discount.

The store manager at the time was in disbelief and didn't want to sell them to me when we got the notice of the price change, but after he checked to make sure it was correct he was happy to ring me up. I should have bought more, I had Sting's first two in my hands, but put them back not wanting to be greedy. The only title I remember at the time not dropping to $4.99 was Nirvana's Nevermind. The only title I paid full price for was The Joshua Tree.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

• The Doors - LA Woman - DCC Gold CD $5.00
    • Jethro Tull - Original Masters - DCC Gold CD $5.00
    There have been several others but these are the two that come immediately to mind.

George P likes this.
  6. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Rush - Moving Pictures at a local shop for $10 last year.

7. CSamuel84

CSamuel84 New Member Thread Starter

Ah, it can't just be a fun discussion, apparently. It's not a quest for vanity. It's a personal challenge applied to seeking out something I love and very much appreciate. Lighten up, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.