Top Ten War Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by smilin ed, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks for the warning. That's disappointing. I have only seen the movie once, but was planning on picking it up. If this is true, I'll skip it just on general principle, unless I find a good reason for the edit. Which I don't expect.

2. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

"Pork Chop Hill", 1959, with Gregory Peck, is an excellent war film in my opinion.

Pete Puma, Tullman and Gumboo like this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The only explanation for the edit that I can possibly think of is that, because the longer version is the "extended television version", perhaps the shot of the severed arm was considered too gruesome for TV? (Even though there's no blood). I've only ever watched the film on DVD, so I have no idea if the edit was present in any TV broadcasts of the extended version or not. The previous DVD contained the "theatrical version", so that might account for why the shot is intact on that disc. Just a theory.

Either way, I think it was an extremely poor decision to market the new DVD as the "uncut version" when it is clearly not. The edit only amounts to a second or two, but that's beside the point... there is footage missing and therefore calling it "uncut" is a flat-out case of false advertising. A more appropriate tag would've been "extended television version", especially if my above theory is correct.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

good for you. DO IT! how else would they know we're not gonna take cuts no matter how many seconds...

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

My list:

Platoon
    The Dirty Dozen
    Apocalypse Now
    Full Metal Jacket
    Last of the Mohicans (I'm counting this one as a war movie. It is one of my all-time favorite movies. Love the time period and wish there were more Colonial-period films and Revolutionary War movies)
    Braveheart (I'm counting this one as a war movie, as well, even though it is more historical drama revolving around William Wallace.)
    Gods And Generals
    Saving Private Ryan
    Enemy At The Gates
    Bridge On The River Kwai

Those are 10.

I want to mention:

North And South TV Mini-series from the mid '80s. I loved that mini-series
    The Blue And The Gray TV mini-series from the early '80s was good too.
    Band of Brothers mini-series on HBO I really liked too.

As for All Quiet on The Western Front, I really enjoyed the book and I liked the Richard Thomas 1980 version. As for the old black and white version, I never saw it completely and only caught the last 10 minutes of the movie once on TV.

I also love Civil War movies and I wish there were more of them. Same with WWI movies (I don't know many.)

Like I said earlier, I also wish there were more War movies about the Colonial and Revolutionary War eras. Mel Gibson's The Patriot was good, but not top-10 worthy.

With the success of Apocalypse Now, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket, the '80s got flooded with Vietnam War movies. I saw most of them, such as Hamburger Hill, Born On The Fourth of July, also the one with Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox (can't remember the name), and Bat 21 with Gene Hackman and Danny Glover. None of those are worthy except for Born on the Forth of July, but that really isn't a war movie and more about the life of one man after the War.

WWII and Vietnam movies are the most abundant. Also, now, it seems like there are many recent Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Iraq War movies (and all the ones that came after in Afghanistan and Pakistan about hunting down Osama and the Taliban. Not to mention Black Hawk Down in Somalia.)

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The Longest Day
    Patton
    The Patriot

7. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

"The Bridges at Toko-Ri" (1954)
    "Twelve O'Clock High" (1949)

Post-war movie:
    "Best Years of Our LIves" (1946)

conjotter and Eric B. like this.
  8. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Some of my favorites:

Apocalypse Now
    Das Boot
    Black Hawk Down
    Assembly
    The Hurt Locker
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Thin Red Line
    Fury
    Downfall
    Throne Of Blood
    Kagemusha

9. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

My fave Top 10:

They Were Expendable (1945)
    Decision Before Dawn (1951)
    The Steel Helmet (1951)
    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    The One That Got Away (1957)
    The Great Escape (1963)
    The Train (1964)
    Hell in the Pacific (1968)
    The Bridge at Remagen (1969)
    Downfall (2004)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    EdgardV and smilin ed like this.
  10. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

The Cranes Are Flying (1957)
    The Train (1964)
    Paths of Glory (1957)
    The Ascent (1977)
    Army of Shadows (1969)
    The Battle of Algiers (1966)
    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    Zulu (1964)
    Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
    The Great Escape (1963)

11. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I just watch war movies for the action, thrills and spills. No message movies for me. And only WWII. I'll watch documentaries (The World at War is top class) for the history.

1. Von Ryan's Express
    2. The Great Escape
    3. The Guns Of Navarone
    4. The Bridge on the River Kwai
    5. Ice Cold In Alex
    6. Where Eagles Dare
    7. Saving Private Ryan
    8. The Dirty Dozen
    9. Battle of Britain
    10. Operation Petticoat!!

EdgardV likes this.
  12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

It depends. If it KNOWS it's a "war film", then it is not. But if it doesn't know it's a war film, then it is.

Jeff

13. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Attack (1956)
    Men in War (1957)
    The Long and the Short and the Tall (1961)
    The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  14. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Yes, it's on my top ten list! :righton:

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

As a kid, through the 60s, my mom used to take me to a lot of war films. I can still recall my stomach lurching as the plane goes over the dropping valley/cliff-edge in the opening scene of 'Where Eagles Dare'. Was terrified of flying for years after that (and you can **** right off if you think I'm ever going in a cable car). When I was a few years older she encouraged me to read Alistair MacLean's books. They still remain a marvellous nostalgia read even after all these years. So it's no surprise that my first two flicks here are adaptions of his work:

Guns Of Navarone
    Where Eagles Dare

...and from there it's mostly 60s fare.
    633 Squadron
    Battle Of Britain
    Great Escape
    Kelly's Heroes

'Must see's from a simpler age:
    A Matter Of Life And Death
    The Dambusters

'Must see's from the more recent past:
    Glory
    Good Morning Viet Nam!

16. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Most of my favorites have been mentioned, with one major exception:
    Hell To Eternity (1960)
    This was a remarkable and gripping true story, with some of the most realistic
    and violent battle scenes (bloody) up until that time. Here's the IMDB description:
    "True life story of Guy Gabaldon, a Los Angeles Hispanic boy raised in the 1930s by a Japanese-American foster family. Later, during the war, as his foster parents are interned at a camp for Japanese Americans, Gabaldon's ability to speak Japanese helps him become a lone-operating Marine hero. During the bloody capture of the island of Saipan, he convinces 800 Japanese to surrender after their general commits suicide."
    I finally was able to get this on DVD a few years ago. When I first saw it at 10 years old (in 1960) it
    had a profound affect on me. Why it hasn't been remade as a major film today (are you listening
    Clint Eastwood?) is a real mystery. Here's the trailer, which really doesn't do the film justice.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  17. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Most of my favorites have been mentioned. I really like the submarine movie sub genre. The Hunt for Red October and The Enemy Below were mentioned, and I will add Run Silent Run Deep.

Gumboo likes this.
  18. Wow, I also saw this film at age 10 in 1960, but had completely forgotten about it. I believe Jeffery Hunter played Guy Gabaldon, right?

EDIT: After watching the trailer, yes, he did.

19. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

The scene where the Saipan women and children leap to their deaths off the cliffs is chilling, and even
    more so since it really happened.......

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member Thread Starter

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Has anyone read any reviews that confirm/deny my theory?

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ice Cold In Alex.(1958)
    Poor old John Mills had to drink 13 glasses of Carlsberg Lager to get the take right in the last scene in the bar. He was the only one who could knock the glass back in one go and was very inebriated on the last take.

23. ThePartingGlass

ThePartingGlass New Member

I'm a sucker for the WW II espionage flick. The ones that have covert operations, where commandos are usually dropped behind enemy lines, infiltrate and sabotage various Nazi installations. The 60's was a big decade for the spy genre, so it figured many of the greats came out in the 60's. And I guess I'm thinking post WW II era films, where the ones made during the war were a bit too "propaganda-y" (new word).

Where Eagles Dare
    Guns of Navarone
    Force 10 From Navarone
    The Dirty Dozen
    The Heroes of the Telemark
    The Man Who Never Was
    The Bridge on the River Kwai (not Nazis, but still good)
    Inglorious Bastards

24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think this thread should be retitled Top Ten 20th Century Wars films by the look of some of these lists, and they are all WWII or WWI or Nam.

So I'll go out of my way to list some different ones:

Culloden (Peter Watkins, 1964) - a great look at the reality and sadness of war.

Henry V (1944)

Red Cliff (2008)

Ran (1985)

Waterloo (1970) - perhaps the most accurate battle on film, thanks to thousands of extras from the Russian army

Zulu (1964) and Zulu Dawn (1979)

Cromwell (1970) - Richard Harris as Cromwell, Alec Guineas as Charles I

Troy (2004) - a little cheesy in parts but great fun

The 300 Spartans (1962)

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Patton
    Bridge Over The River Kwai
    Platoon
    King Rat
    The Great Escape
    Catch 22