Toto remasters incoming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KentishMan, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

My CD is sitting here waiting for me to play it later tonight. Going to Atlanta tomorrow to see Marillion so I won’t get to really listen to it until later on Sunday. I’ll put it on my iPhone for the car ride though.

Anyone getting the vinyl?

Pat

2. I heard it in the car last night, and I have a really nice B&O system there. I've heard these tracks for years so I know them pretty well. Really liked what I was hearing. What stood out most:

1) Space around the drums in I'll Supply the Love was a real treat. Not a great song, but a tremendous drum track.

2) Percussion in 99 now much more detailed. Again, not a favorite, but it's better here. Can't wait for "Mama."

3) Snare sound on Georgy Porgy is finally like the original vinyl. Really good.

4) The whooshing sound effects on Stranger In Town were shards of noise on recent remasters of Isolation. Sounds much more 3D and interesting here. Still has that gated snare sound that makes this not the album to hear the best of Jeff Porcaro.

6) Lea is a true revelation. Always thought Fahrenheit sounded like it occupied a smaller, thinner space on my speakers than their others albums. Not now. That's a glorious track, especially the Beach Boys-like harmonies with Don Henley near the end.

7) Rosanna and Africa always sounded good to me. But Afraid of Love from IV is a revelation here. Guitars and drums sound much better to my ears.

8) I notice fewer differences with the Seventh One and Kingdom of Desire tracks, but Stop Loving You is nice. Both the Japanese and Rock Candy remasters seemed to squash the material such that I couldn't easily make out Jon Anderson's backing vocal. It's back to how it sounds on vinyl now - better.

I would have been very interested to see how this treatment affects the Turn Back songs. Always thought that was the worst-sounding Toto album (with Fahrenheit just behind). Hope the whole catalog follows now. Despite frequent re-releases, I've got some anticipation for these.

3. That's not too bad. Probably not audiophile quality, but they have certainly learned something since Falling In Between and Toto XIV:

Analyzed: Toto / Falling In Between
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.77 dB 4:06 01-Falling In Between
    DR6 -0.10 dB -7.69 dB 6:12 02-Dying On My Feet
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.41 dB 6:58 03-Bottom Of Your Soul
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.78 dB 4:05 04-King Of The World
    DR5 -0.20 dB -6.84 dB 4:37 05-Hooked
    DR5 -0.10 dB -8.63 dB 2:22 06-Simple Life
    DR5 -0.30 dB -6.34 dB 4:02 07-Taint Your World
    DR5 -0.10 dB -6.47 dB 5:00 08-Let It Go
    DR6 -0.10 dB -8.70 dB 5:23 09-Spiritual Man
    DR5 -0.20 dB -6.67 dB 6:13 10-No End In Sight
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.90 dB 1:46 11-The Reeferman (Instrumental)

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR5

Analyzed: Toto / Toto XIV

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 -0.20 dB -7.50 dB 4:06 01-Running Out of Time
    DR5 -0.20 dB -8.63 dB 4:56 02-Burn
    DR6 -0.20 dB -7.56 dB 5:24 03-Holy War
    DR6 -0.20 dB -7.02 dB 6:08 04-21st Century Blues
    DR6 -0.20 dB -8.01 dB 3:56 05-Orphan
    DR6 -0.20 dB -8.67 dB 5:06 06-Unknown Soldier (For Jeffrey)
    DR6 -0.20 dB -7.41 dB 4:35 07-The Little Things
    DR6 -0.20 dB -7.71 dB 5:08 08-Chinatown
    DR6 -0.20 dB -8.55 dB 5:10 09-All the Tears That Shine
    DR8 -0.20 dB -9.50 dB 4:46 10-Fortune
    DR6 -0.20 dB -8.23 dB 6:48 11-Great Expectations

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR6

Galley likes this.
  4. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

Still no entirely through my 1st listen but I've noticed longer fade outs on Pamela and Stop Loving You which is cool. Also, as mentioned above, Afraid of Love and Lea really sound amazing. I'm digging the 3 new tracks and the sound quality had me excited for the box set coming this July.

FVDnz likes this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Whats the word on that set? Ive seen no recent news.

6. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

The moment I heard the revamped I'll Supply the Love, the more excited I was going to be with this compilation. I'm really digging the emphasis on Hungate's basslines on not only the song just mentioned, but the tracks representing the debut not to mention Africa. Really looking forward to July now, more than ever. DR numbers are satisfying too, not that it really matters to me that much.

7. cber1517 likes this.
  8. cber1517

cber1517 Forum Resident

agundy, drum_cas and jmacvols like this.
  9. Seadog78

Seadog78 New Member

If you have "Alexa" by Amazon...ask it to play the song "Hydra by Toto"...you can hear water hitting the floor, in the intro. I think Sony has leaked a few of the new remasters on the "Alexa" format. I've found the same with asking to play "Gift With A Golden Gun" and "English Eyes" (Both have additional parts we never heard, still bad drums, but improved...and additional keyboard parts!)

ispace likes this.
  10. Red

Red Forum Resident

Instant Dharma likes this.
  11. Johannes

Johannes Well-Known Member

Thanks for information.

But still - if I want the songs in 24 bit I have to buy all the albums from HD tracks AND the box set?

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Carlox and OptimisticGoat like this.
  13. Red

Red Forum Resident

They will be available individually, and also a CD only box. There's supposed to be a japanese 1979 live show included in the deluxe box though, don't know if that one will be available in the CD only box or individually.

Carlox, OptimisticGoat and soundboy like this.
  14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The DRs are horrible.... I pass!

ispace and George P like this.
  15. Red

Red Forum Resident

Done from master tapes though. They sound spectacular IMHO, no matter DR.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe the new mastering sounds "good" at first listening, but after they becoming fatiguing. Toto isn't Metal, where I can't accept lower DR.

ispace and shaboo like this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I will probably pass too. I have all of the original CDs and the Mobile Fidelity gold disc of Toto IV and I think they all sound great. Even Turn Back and Fahrenheit which have been criticized I have always thought sounded good. Fahrenheit is one of my most crankable discs!

DiabloG and c-eling like this.
  18. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I love the hype! It’s an expensive box set for only the most devoted fan. No limited numbers in that announcement I see. I am fairly happy with 100% of the existing CD catalogue and about 50% of the existing vinyl. I would want to see some amazing sound to spend that sort of money!

drum_cas and bruce2 like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Shame the CD-only box isn't available now. I'd snap that up in a heartbeat. Duplicate formats make it a little rich for my blood.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

I assume the 500 dollar price tag is just for the limited signed version. I already have Luke's, Dave's and Mike's so I'll just settle for the music.

21. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

On Spotify the fade-outs are exactly the same as on the originals.

drum_cas likes this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The Toto remasters are the proof..... Steve L. is deaf. I don't know why he praised the upcoming Toto reissues.

PTgraphics, bruce2 and JeffreyB like this.
  23. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

My first thought when comparing the remastered tracks on Spotify was: way louder than originals. My wife thought that Africa was way more in your face, the original she thought to be more gentle....

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Everytime musicians are involved.... s..t happens!

Steve Lukather, Pete Townshend, David Coverdale etc.

ispace and bruce2 like this.
  25. Red

Red Forum Resident

I love the remastering. Yes a bit loud, but the sound is quite spectacular. I own multiple versions (up to 7) of each album and I am certain these new ones will be my go to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.