Toughest record finds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tamla Junkie, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Flatlanders "More a Legend Than a Band" on vinyl, although I don't know if it was ever pressed on vinyl. Anyone?

2. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I've never been as much into 45's as albums, though I do have some. I've sold a lot of my records over time, but I could never part with anything Motown. That's part of my collection that stays with me. I don't collect anymore, but I still have a suppressed desire to fill in more of my early Motown collection.

Good luck with that Chico single! Those really early 45's so seldom show up in nice condition. People didn't treat their records well back then.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  3. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

That`s strange, because charity shops here in the UK are full of the things...cant give them away.

4. Dano67

Dano67 Forum Resident

The limited edition Monster book + CD, even with the strip around the book, are also not that hard to find in the U.S.
    As it was released mid-90s, I'd think a vinyl version of the album would be the truly rare thing.

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

In 1972 I found a copy of the first recording of music by John Cage: Amores. Disc label 1946. The shop wanted $150.00. That was nearly 50 years ago! And I was just a kid. I'd like to finally own a copy before I die. I do own Cage 78's from 1948 however.

6. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Eric was being a smart-ass.. :laugh:

8. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

no wonder i can't find the debut :)

9. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident Thread Starter

The '59 to '61 stuff is my favorite Motown material. It's not quite the typical Motown "stomper" of 1964, but you can tell that it's different from the other R&B and Doo-Wop from that same three year span.

It's just... different. A lot of throwing **** against the wall and seeing what would stick, but all of the "pieces" for '62 to '67 golden age Motown are lurking.

I'm a 45 guy, not as much of an album guy. I still buy them, but only if I'm interested in particular tracks etc.

The early singles are impossible to find in anything other than "Very Detroit" condition, ie, they look like they've been played with a kiddie changer tracking at 15 grams 20 times a day, every day for the past 60 years, or they look like they've been at the bottom of the Detroit river for 30...

Motown collecting is a sickness only paralleled by some of the more millitant Beatles fans. Lots of us are obsessive in the hunt for those missing pieces. I understand the desire to supress it; there are times I have to put my singles away in a back closet for a couple of weeks and take a step back and focus on other hobbies. I inevitably always jump right back into collecting though, whereas some of my other hobbies I've given up. That speaks volumes about the Metro-Detroit area soul collecting and audiophile community in general.

10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Exit Flagger likes this.
  11. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

12. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Because my tastes are so varied, there wasn't any group or type of music that was my obsession. My obsession was finding a great record at a great price. I was never a completist. That being said, Motown has always been special to me. I was born in '59, so it was the music of my childhood. The first record I ever bought, when I was 9, was My Whole World Ended by David Ruffin. I still listen to a lot of it today. Those Complete Motown Singles sets are awesome!

Well, I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll shut up, but I'm sure we'll run into each other again. Great talking to you! Happy hunting!

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Back when Red Trumpet was in business I used to visit their warehouse in York, PA once a year. One time he'd just purchased a large collection of stone cold mint psych albums. I ended up getting that album as well as ...Incredible (which I like slightly better), KAK, Safe As Milk and several original early Dead albums.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Might be weird but you aren't alone! I'm on my fifth or sixth copy of the Al Stewart album and still no dice on a quiet intro. The Knack? I was holding the MFSL in my hands last week but I just can't imagine it sounding noticeably better so after some tug of war with my head, and a nice pile already, I put it back. Is the Wally supposed to be that much better? I will have to see what I have but it's amazing so perhaps that is what I have heard. The standard issue is amazing.

Player. Good luck! RSO was so hit and miss on their pressings. I was a Player fan and I have never found a decent pressing of Prisoner Of Your Love but I can tell you that there are decent copies of their debut album. I forget which has This Time but I think it was the debut so you'll find one and it should be cheap. Try and get Spies Of Life. It came out after their RSO albums and it's their most consistent album in the style of the song you like.

cwd likes this.
  15. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

My hip hop whales.

De la soul is dead
    De la soul stakes is high
    Company flow funcrusher plus

Stone Turntable and ryanward84 like this.
  16. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

Ditto. Waiting for an angel to smile on me at a Thrift store or yard sale.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Great score! Incredible was my first Kaleidoscope album. I got it for 67 cents in a K-Mart cut-out bin.

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Black Crowes - Lions

19. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

I never thought I'd ever see that Ackles record in a record store, but did find it in the misc. "A" artists bin at Amoeba Hollywood a few years ago for $4. Go figure!

Folknik likes this.
  20. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

PJ Harvey -Dry and Rid of Me. Ridiculous prices on the used market. Hoping for quality reissues some day.

Summerisle likes this.
  21. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Beatles "Ask Me Why/Anna" promo single: VJ DJ #8

22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yep!

23. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

Stakes is High is on my list too, my buddy has an original and it sounds great, took me ages to find a Bulhoon Mindstate also and of course there were 2 in the bin, but they're represses, not originals. There's a fairly common repress of De La Soul is Dead, I see it around the Toronto shops all the time, I have it and it sounds not bad for the 4 men with beards label. I had this on CD when it came out, big double set, great record.

24. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Bill Hart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.