Townes VanZandt S/T First Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MBT68, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers... Thread Starter

I picked up a very nice copy of TVZ S/T on Poppy label. Visually the cover is NM and the vinyl looks NM. Vinyl is very heavy and all around seems like it had very little play, but when played is very noisy both when song is playing and between songs. I have cleaned with my Oki record vacuum and my friend cleaned with his Klaudio Ultrasonic cleaner as well... still fairly noisy.
    Has anyone had this issue with similar copies or do I just have a dirty copy or a damaged copy ? Crazy thing is it looks beautiful.. paid tall dollars so I hope I can quiet it down somehow.

2. MBT68

Bump

3. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I have a couple different Townes Poppy LPs, both are rather noisy. Mine are, visually, closer to VG++. Cleaned mine with VPI 16.5.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't have any original pressings but back when I was trying to find some I did come across many comments about how noisy they were. It actually might have been on a thread on this forum.

5. MBT68

Thanks for the follow up. I did find some feedback from a couple years ago here that mentions noisy Poppy pressing.

I guess either way the music is great and I prefer first pressings so it’s nice to have this record.

6. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I bought an original of this title still sealed. It certainly is the quietest of a few copies I have owned, but still, I could only grade it VG++. There are some true NM passages, but the music is so spare, and the vinyl formulation is not the best, rendering those spare moments VG+ to ++. Still love it more than most of the records I own.

7. joeym3

joeym3 Forum Resident

Love this album. I wonder how a Tomato pressing compares?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.