Traffic - Welcome to the Canteen & Last Exit

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mds, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Back when these came out I viewed them as a last ditch label effort to gain some dollars out of the band catalog. I also was not a big fan of recorded live music, much preferred going to the show and listening to studio recordings at home.

I am reassessing this view and was wondering what others think of the two albums and which CD version is worth buying if any. Last Exit split the album between studio tracks that hadn't been seen on a prior album with a couple of live tracks thrown on at the end, aka Creams "Wheels of Fire", while Canteen was trying to gain sales from folks who liked the less folky / jazzy Traffic of which John Barleycorn and Sparks were headed to. At least back in the late 60s / early 70s that was how I felt.

I am partial to the early traffic line up and songs but do love the folky tales on JB and the move towards a more jazz sound of LSoHHB, but stopped purchasing their albums with Sparks. I didn't think the follow up albums ever matched the genius of Sparks and that was a wonderful place to stop, it didn't get much better than this album, mature songs and well played. It highlighted a band that could transition away from the early psychedelic songs to a new range of material. They showed they had what it takes to mature and last without having to follow trends. They were the trend setter.

Now I am going back and trying to fill in the gaps in my collection and was thinking of starting with these two albums. Any info on the best recordings would be appreciated.

tug_of_war, Rickchick and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I bought Welcome To The Canteen by accident and have come to love it.

3. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

I just wish Welcome to the Canteen didn't sound so murky...

alchemy, bonus, footlooseman and 5 others like this.
  4. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Big fan of Welcome To The Canteen.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think Last Exit has some of the band's best songs, like Medicated Goo and Shanghai Noodle Factory.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Last Exit features a few great tracks ("Shanghai Noodle Factory", "Withering Tree", "Medicated Goo"), though a lot of these have been featured as bonus tracks elsewhere. I'm less impressed with the live side here, but I do love Welcome to the Canteen, a smoking live performance and a nice final bow for Dave Mason. I'm still wishing that they would release some kind of expanded edition of this one, but it's still a great document as is.

As for their later albums, Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory is a bit of a disappointment, though it still has some great moments. I've actually really come to enjoy When The Eagle Flies in recent years after overlooking it for a while. It has a really nice late night, laid back vibe.

7. mds

It would be very hard to follow Low Spark. I think I will give "When The Eagle Flies" a shot, thanks for the recommendation. From what the census is at this time seems Canteen is worth the purchase, anyone recommend the better recording on CD to go after?

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Big fan of both - Canteen has Mason back temporarily, and the excellent versions of his two songs top the (fine) versions on Alone Together.

Last Exit has two real classics, Noodle Factory and Medicated Goo and is entertaining throughout. The Cream reference point would be the Goodbye album rather than Wheels of Fire - both contract closers/farewell albums with a mix of studio and live material.

kees1954, ajsmith and Hot Ptah like this.
  9. mds

Good point about Goodbye, I just was referring to the fact that the first half was studio while the second was live.

DTK likes this.
  10. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

^ This ^
    My favorite crappy sounding album.
    Somebody dig into the vaults and give us a Deluxe expanded remastered version!
    (I've got a feeling it might have been badly recorded in the first past)

csnfan, Taxman, pool_of_tears and 4 others like this.
  11. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've never completely warmed up to 'Welcome to the Canteen'. Not impressed by the sound, nor really by the performances much either. I have it and enjoy it..but to that limited degree.

I love Last Exit for the mentions above...mainly Medicated Goo and Shanghai Noodle Factory. Not so much the live, again, on it.

Matter of fact...as much as I love the studio Traffic...I haven't found a live show that impressed me much. I have that Fillmore show that eventually made it out legitimately as D2 of the deluxe John Barleycorn, and a show they did at the Santa Monica Civic Center and maybe a few other live tunes.

They were all about The Studio IMO.

12. mds

From this I should understand that I am not going to get an "un-murky" version on CD no matter if it says "Newly Remastered". I should just go and buy it because it is so good and the price is right at $4.00.

Larry L likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

This.

Rickchick likes this.
  14. mds

Well to be a completest concerning Traffic's early works I will probably purchase both since they sell in the four dollar range. If anyone has a copy on CD they feel sounds non-harsh nor too muddy please let me know what that master is so I go for that one. Although from what I am reading Canteen is going to be muddy no matter what, Thanks.

15. Tristero

It may not knock your socks off on the first listen, but it's proven to be a nice grower for me.

Clarkophile likes this.
  16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

They made a great single! I always saw it as a perfect Traffic mini LP.

Arkay_East and DTK like this.
  17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Canteen I love. Medicated Goo all by itself is worth the price of admission. I feel the same about Last Exit pretty much. The studio side is A+ for me.

marklamb and DTK like this.
  18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I would say Welcome to the Canteen is essential if your a Traffic fan. (I have the Pink Island vinyl so I can't comment on best CD version)

I would go with On The Road first before Last Exit. I love the live versions of Glad / Freedom Rider and Low Spark from On The Road.

I didn't really connect with the live stuff on Last Exit but I will give it a revisit this weekend.

19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I have the one disc version of On The Road ... Need to remedy that situation

20. OnTheRoad

Ooops....somehow I forgot about that one. Go figure ! o_O

It's the best of the lot IMO...and yes, I enjoy that one more than I alluded to about live Traffic before. Brainfart.

WorldB3 likes this.
  21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Cool, I have those all the time myself.

Give When The Eagle Flies a shot also. If you like the jazzy stuff from On The Road the track Dream Gerrard might work for you.

RockRoom likes this.
  22. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

40,000 Headmen
    Live.

Nothing not to like.

Tiki, michanes, marklamb and 8 others like this.
  23. OnTheRoad

I have these 2 on my Smiling Phases set.....

Walking In The Wind and When The Eagle Flies. I like those.

NorthNY Mark and CybrKhatru like this.
  24. Tristero

Very interesting track. It was cool to hear a little mellotron mayhem there, as well as Vivian Stanshall's surreal wordplay.

25. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

The deluxe CD version of "John Barleycorn Must Die" has a second disc which has a 1970 Fillmore show as bonus tracks ... but you knew that.

michanes, anth67, ARK and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.