Transitioning from Vintage to Modern (speakers)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

I've been listening to vintage speakers for years now. Right now it’s the Pioneer HPM-100 (200-watt) version. I think I am ready to hear the benefits of 40+ years of new speaker technology.

However, I am terrified of anemic and sterile sounding modern speakers.

Unfortunately, I can only afford speakers in the $600 price range (plus speaker stands). So, no floorstanders of quality, I’m afraid.

Or perhaps the answer is to stick to my vintage speakers until I can raise more money for modern floorstanders?

Help!

2. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I would focus right now on just listening to more modern speakers. Do friends have speakers you like? I'd be tempted to stay with the Pioneers until you hear something you like better. They are great rock speakers.

3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

How much were you going to spend on stands? (thus, your total budget)

4. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Given your distaste for the cool, sterile, gutless sound of many modern speakers (which I totally understand) and your budget, I would recommend a very different approach—-Dynaco A35 speakers on Sound Anchor stands. The stands would cost about as much as the speakers but are well worth the cost to realize the full potential of the A35.

The A35 doesn’t come up on auction sites as often as the A25 but it’s worth waiting for in my opinion.

bhazen likes this.
  5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The original Focal 908s can be had in that price range and are really a great speaker if you are wanting stand mounts. I have a pair hooked up to my Vintage System. Love'em.

LitHum05 and Manimal like this.
  6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I own a pair of B&W CDM-1 from the mid 90's. Not really vintage but also not very modern. Since last Friday I've been trying a pair of modern B&W 704 S2 and I totally get what you guys mean by anemic, sterile, cool and gutless. I'd say they lack flavor, color and weight by comparison. On the other hand, the transparency and detail are amazing. A different feeling I probably need to get used to.

7. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Look into Emotiva Airmotiv T1's. They're 699 a pair. I haven't heard them, but the tweeter design they're using is great and they really look like a really decent pair of speakers for a very reasonable price. The AMT tweeter at this price range for something new is really pretty amazing. Airmotiv T1 Pair

LitHum05 likes this.
  8. LitHum05

Good question. Maybe 1k altogether.

9. LitHum05

I would hate to regret a large purchase like this. I really want to feel like: “wow, so that’s what I’ve been missing!”

punkmusick likes this.
  10. LitHum05

Intriguing, but now we’re comparing vintage to vintage. I would still feel like I’m missing out on modern advancements, no?

punkmusick likes this.
  11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I put my older speakers back in the system to compare. They're warmer, I feel more mellow and softness, but they lack everything else by comparison. Bass seems all over the place, much less detail, definition, clarity and tightness, with the high frequencies very noticeably rolled off.

I shouldn't have done that, I think I won't be able to get rid of the 704 now. :)

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Lots of great speakers in that price range, I second the Focals mentioned above. I think you’ll be shocked at what a decent pair of “modern” bookshelves can do. Elac may be another no brainer.
    Lots of great suggestions are soon to roll in.

SirMarc and The FRiNgE like this.
  13. LitHum05

I do have the Jones Pioneer speakers (I’m thinking those are comparable to the Elacs). Nice speakers for the money, but they just can’t move enough air around to let you feel the music. I went back to my Pioneers within a day. I see some of these beautiful speakers in magazines, like the Halberths. I wonder how those sound.

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

They sound awesome. Price is high though.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Epos-Epos Elan 15 2-Way Loudspeakers Pair-Speakers|Acoustic Sounds

These will give similar performance to Harbeths at a very reasonable price. I compared the model below these back to back with C7ES3s. I preferred the Epos,' as they give up very little in detail and imaging but have vastly better bass and dynamics. Unlike many (if not most) speakers, Epos' sound great with any type of music.

bhazen, Manimal, MackKnife and 2 others like this.
  16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Good one! I too have read good things on these and they are handsome.
    1049 bones.

17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

For an apartment / small room setting I can also heartily endorse the Linn Tukans. Doubly so if you are into Bi-Wiring.

But they aren't quite big enough for larger rooms.

bhazen likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've never heard Epos speakers. I should get a pair to review. Which is the best, not worrying about price?

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've had my trigger finger on this pair many times, as they're probably the last available NIB anywhere, but I already have too much gear as it is. Gotta be disciplined I keep telling myself..:sigh: Hopefully someone else will just buy them already.

SandAndGlass and Manimal like this.
  20. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think they missed the mark with their curent lineup - the K1s, 2s, & 3s. They planned to make these models convertible to actives, yet that never materialized as far as I know. It seems the general consensus is that their golden years ended with the Epic and Elan series. The M22i was their flagship a few years ago. I owned the Epic 2s - same size as Elan 15s but lower grade parts.

21. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Well, I hate to break it to you, but there hasn't happened very much in terms of objective technical improvements in the last 40 years. What has changed is taste: modern speaker are designed to be visually slim and shiny, hence small drivers. That means it's difficult to get a full sound and satisfying mids. Instead these slim towers and monitors tend to focus on imaging and clear highs, as these qualities tend to impress potential buyers. I have nothing against this type of speaker (I enjoy my Audio Physic towers for their fast, refined transients and pinpoint imaging), but in the end I also needed an old fashioned full sounding Tannoy Turnberry setup for scale and power.

By all means go out and listen to modern speakers, but don't expect to be completely awed by speakers just because they are modern designs. Listen for full/realistic sounding mids. And another thing: try to listen for longer periods of time when you audition. That is the real litmus test.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  22. LitHum05

Thanks. This is great. Out of curiosity, which vintage speakers would you upgrade to if you were me?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

REALLY have to disagree with this 'little technical improvements in 40 years'! Cabinet materials, cabinet bracing, but more importantly driver materials have been greatly improved. It's okay to prefer the inherent various distortions and shortcomings of vintage speakers for the sound they produce if it pleases one and matches with one's equipment, but not true to belittle the technical advances made.

24. LitHum05

You don’t think there is anything to what he’s saying regarding the taste for newer, less conspicuous speakers with black drivers, etc.?

25. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I am currently in a similiar situation.
    I bought a lovely pair of Kef 106,s.
    After 4 days i knew they would never replace my Leak 2060,s

Treble i could not handle, bass lacking
    And if i,m honest boring.
    I now have it out of my system
    If you know what i mean,
    I may build an open baffle speaker
    As i.have acquired some grundig full range drive units,
    As another member said
    Little has changed except modern tastes.
    I know where you sre at .
    I wish i had an answer.

LitHum05 and jkull like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.