Traveling Wilburys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by twistandshout, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone like Traveling Wilburys? Greatest group of iconic singers put together. Wish they would have done more stuff but I guess after Roy Orbison died, the group didn't continue much longer.

2. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

Love Vol. 1, but couldn't really get into Vol. 3. Quite an all star crew though!

3. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident Thread Starter

There is a great DVD sold with the 2 CD's too.

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

They recorded a second album without Roy Orbison, but it wasn't nearly as good as the first one.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I like them. I was 8 or 9 when Volume 1 came out. I was already into George and some Tom Petty by that point. It was a great introductory to Jeff Lynne, Roy, and even Bob (although I knew some of his stuff too). Not just them, but seeing names like Jim Keltner on these recordings along with Cloud Nine and I think he played on some Full Moon Fever stuff as well. Yeah, I read the liners as a young boy. Everyone in it seemed so cool and like they were having fun. It's nice to go back.

6. I think both albums are exceptional (1st) to very good (3rd) the second was more the Bob Dylan show whereas the first one was a little more evenly distributed. I would have loved to see another album from Petty, Lynne, Harrison and Dylan.

J_D__, Lewisboogie and Brian Kelly like this.
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The Wilburys were one of the few musical highlights to an otherwise mostly dire 1980's IMO.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Benno123 and marka like this.
  9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I read somewhere that Vol. 3 came out of an idea for a Dylan solo album, then everyone joined in, a few more songs were written by the other members to balance out the Dylan songs.

Shaddam IV and melstapler like this.
  10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Absolutely love "Handle Me with Care" -- my fave George song of the 80's.

Also like "End of the Line" a lot.

Those two are always played when I pull out my Wilbury disc.

Here is my edit from the WIKI entry:

Petty recalled that, as a friend but also an avowed fan of Dylan's, Harrison felt the need to clear the air on the first day by saying to him: "We know that you're Bob Dylan and everything, but we're going to just treat you and talk to you like we would anybody else."

Dylan replied: "Well, great. Believe it or not, I'm in awe of you guys, and it's the same for me."

Petty later described Harrison as the Wilburys' "leader and manager",[39] and credited him with being a bandleader and producer that had a natural instinct for bringing out the best in people and keeping a recording session productive.

As the group's producers, Harrison and Lynne directed the sessions, with Harrison often auditioning each member to decide who should sing a particular lead vocal part.[43][44] The two producers then flew back to England; Lynne recalls that, throughout the flight, he and Harrison enthused about how to turn the sparse, acoustic-based tracks into completed recordings.[45] Overdubs and further recording took place at Harrison's studio, FPSHOT,[28] with "Sideburys" Jim Keltner (drums), Jim Horn (saxophones) and Ray Cooper (percussion).[22] Harrison described the band's sound as "skiffle for the 1990s".

It was nominated for several awards and won the 1990 Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group.

Liner notes on the album cover were written by Monty Python's Michael Palin under a pseudonym.[30] Palin's essay was based on an idea by Derek Taylor,[49] who wrote an extensive fictional history of the Wilburys family that otherwise went unused.[39] Harrison planned a feature film about the band, to be produced by HandMade and directed by David Leland, but contractual problems ended the project.

11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I always liked them. They sounded "out of time" back in the 80's but now they sound fresh! Seems to not date. Vol 1 is better than 3 and they did miss Roy a lot. As someone else said make sure you have the 2CD plus DVD.

12. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Tweeter And The Monkey Man.
    Great song.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Have to agree with others here that Vol 3 was a disappointment. I ended up selling it. Vol 1 is fantastic, of course.

14. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

To me volume 3 is the one. The highs on 1 are much higher, but overall I think 3 is a much more consistently good record, missing a killer single like Handle with care or End of the line.

Dyland and Tord like this.
  15. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

It's a shame Del Shannon shot himself when he (according to rumours) was due to be a replacement for Roy Orbison. That era of solo albums (Mystery Girl, Armchair Theatre, Full Moon Fever, Cloud Nine and Rock On) all with the Jeff Lynne production sound were all great, and to me are almost extensions of the project. (OK, Cloud Nince preceded the project).

16. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

The first album is nice, but it could hardly work for a longer time (even If Orbison did not pass away). Nevertheless, the idea of a second album with Johnny Cash belongs to my favourite nostalgia act fantasies.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Travelling Wilbury’s what?

[Moderator note: Title fixed, no apostrophe.]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Lewisboogie, johnnybrum and smilin ed like this.
  18. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

They were bigger than The Beatles! Kiddin' aside, that first record is a classic.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Traveling Wilbury's Extra Apostrophe ... ;)

johnnybrum likes this.
  20. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Inside out was a killer single…

Beatlened, 905 and Yorick like this.
  21. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I very much like their first release but after that I wan't feelin' the love from their stuff. Quite the talented group though.

22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Vol 1 is great. Vol 3 is musically really great, but HOO BOY, some shallow throw away lyrics.

Some examples:

"She can drive a truck
    She can drive a train (My baby, m-my my baby)
    She can even drive an aeroplane
    She's so good to look at in the rain
    She's my baby"

"Look up your chimney
    The sky ain't blue
    It's kinda yellow
    You know it's true"

"Waltzing around the room tonight
    In someone else's clothes
    You're always coming out of things
    Smelling like a rose"

"Steaming down the highway
    With your trucks of toxic waste
    Where you gonna hide it
    Maybe outer space?"

"You put your hand on your head
    Put your foot in the air
    Then you hop around the room
    In your underwear"

I'm not saying the lyrics HAVE to be deep or anything, but every member in that band could do and has done WAY better!

23. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I thought
    "Steaming down the highway
    With your trucks of toxic waste
    Where you gonna hide it
    Maybe outer space?"
    was a good lyric!

905 and cwitt1980 like this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I liked them when they came out. All my favorite guys.

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"Heading For The Light" is such a wonderful song. Quintessential George!

jricc, Tord, Sammy Banderas and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.