Traveling Wilburys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by twistandshout, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The assertion that it was a Dylan album is silly.
    I had always heard it was more of a Petty/Lynne production:

"That polish is an indication that Lynne and Petty dominate this record, which only makes sense because they made it between Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open, but it's striking that this sounds like more like their work, even when Dylan takes the lead on "Inside Out" or the doo wop-styled "7 Deadly Sins."

The Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 3 - The Traveling Wilburys | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It was more of a joke but I didn't put a smiley face. Sorry! :shake:

They were a supergroup though. A group of super singers who had previous recognition before coming together. Unless by definition supergroups have to have a drummer, bassist, and guitarist because of the actual most overrated supergroup called The Cream. > :p <

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

There's a lot of great music in the 80s:)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    George P likes this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Hopefully, some people learn that smoking regularly is not something that should be done!

CheshireCat likes this.
  5. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Weird. While I was perusing this thread "Last Night" from The Traveling Wilburys Vol 1 came on. I was 19 when this came out. It was in heavy rotation back then. Still love it now. I like Vol. 3 just not quite as much. Still, one hell of a supergroup.

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I love Vol. I. Like most here, I don't like Vol. III quite as much -- without Orbison, the chemistry wasn't quite the same. I've always had mixed feelings about Dylan, but his songs on the first Wilbury album are a total hoot. Even Harrison seems to loosen up a bit from his normally stiff and preachy recorded persona (don't get me wrong; I love George, but he could be a bit much sometimes). That first Wilburys album is an all-time favorite.

7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Agreed. I thought when it came out that Vol 1's production was a bit OTT (being a full on Lynne production job) but the songs were certainly more than strong enough to compensate.

On Vol 3, not only were the songs not as strong but they also took the production up to an even more OTT level.

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The first album had a much more positive vibe - it sounded like “guys night out” with bad jokes, tall tales and stories about women, all set to clever melodies. The second album had a lot more complaining (“the sky ain’t blue”, “trucks of toxic waste”, “look at the mess I’m in”) that seemed to kill some of the “good time vibe”, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.