Tris Imboden and Jeff Coffey leave Chicago in the same week

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nostaljack, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well, Tanglewood 70 is basically what Hendrix is listening to, it's them touring on their 2nd album, so you should watch some of that, it's so progressive and nobody else was doing what those guys were doing at the time.

But check out 25 or 6, on Tanglewood, thats the hit single they were plugging at the time.
    What u should notice is that Kath's solo is little like what was recorded, yeah it touches what was on the record, but completely different for the most part.

During the main song of Make Me Smile, he takes a ripping solo on that, that's not on the single version.
    The vocal as I've mentioned is one of my all time favorites, loved as a young lad and still do.

Also the beginning of Colour My World, the gentle volume swells, softer strokes, playing under the flute intro, then the flute solo he backs it up with a firmer rhythm stroke. And the vocal? Just beautiful.

On Beginnings, his melodic strumming to start the tune and lay the foundation for the horns and Lamm's vocal.

I understand if u don't get it, but what I don't get is how u acknowledge the band as great, yet the guy leading the band musically, singing lead on a bunch of songs, perfectly supporting the others as they sing and play, and completely tears it up when called upon to be in the spotlight, and somehow thats not enough?

Just check out the Tanglewood 70 show, that's the legend being created right there, and if u don't get it after watching some of that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Ever see/hear Terry play live, in person? I saw him live 4 times, and he was incredible. Terry DROVE that band live in concert. He was the leader of Chicago in a live setting. Panko did most of the talking between songs, but Terry led the band.

Fantastic memories of those concerts!

3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I left Chicago a few times...

4. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

Here is a video of the new lead singer—uggg

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I saw him play drums with Santana in 1990, and percussion/drums with Traffic in 1994. He's good.

6. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast Thread Starter

Yes, I get that. As I've said already, he was great...in that band. I'm asking what makes him so incredible otherwise?

Ed

7. Nostaljack

Again, though, you're mostly talking greatness within the context of one band. I get that it's all we have to go on but just because he's great in one band doesn't make him a wholesale legend; it just means he's great in one band. I don't agree at all that he "led" the band. He wrote nothing of note (i.e. nothing that hit) and the most memorable leads were done by Peter.

That said, I'm happy to check out "Make Me Smile" and "25 or 6 to 4" from Tanglewood. :)

Ed

Fixed for poor spelling...LOL!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Efus and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. Nostaljack

You had me until the end. Clapton is great because he's played in a myriad different situations and shown greatness in all of them. Kath played in only one band and one situation.

Ed

phillyal1 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. Nostaljack

I've been listening and listening well for years. As far as "playing lead aggressively and then laying back and being a team player", what's a guitar player in a band is supposed to do. He just did his job. If he couldn't do both, he'd be wrong for a band. I've heard others say that and while it's nice that the can do that, hundreds of players do that. Terry's own style is definitely felt in the band for sure. To whit, I've never heard a multitude of players state that he's been a major influence on their playing. The aforementioned Clapton and SRV are mentioned constantly.

As for who was up front, Cetera was pretty much the front; Terry wasn't. His voice lead most of the hits; Terry's didn't. We don't all like it but the lead vocalist is the lead in this band.

Ed

10. Nostaljack

Yeah, he's a slouch. He played a written solo. Parazaider can't improv. He never could. He's proved it over and over again. The evidence is on YouTube. The live solo of "Just You N' Me" he'd pull out is truly wretched.

Ed

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's been this way for three decades now, nothing's really changed in that regard.

12. Nostaljack

Well, that was quick. Can't keep a good company down, I guess. I am surprised that they've got a separate bass player and singer. Guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ed

ribonucleic and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Nostaljack

If it's in the studio, they can write it and he plays what they write. They can also "comp". There's no way to know if that stuff is improvised. I can tell of you of at least two instances on their recordings where he's "ghost played" for because he can't cut it.

Ed

14. Nostaljack

I don't know what you're "Ugg"-ing about. He's kind of a cross between Peter with some of Jason's tone. He can get the job done. He's certainly got the range for it.

Ed

15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Ah, get someone to look like Jason

16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well it's great you'll listen to it, and I'd be curious as to what u think.
    It's Kath definitely driving the band, not anybody else, they are all looking at Kath.

As for not writing anything of note, that's a valid point.
    But u know who else didn't write anything of note? Duane Allman.
    Yet he was noted as being a pretty good guitarist, arranger, and band leader.

I'd agree that Cetera was a better singer, but then again Cetera's voice pretty much is cream of the crop in pop music.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

He retired from the road. Doesnt matter anyway. He doesnt play bass or drums.

18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Okay, I'll bite-- Which songs were these?

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Lol. Did They really? Wow the plot thickens.

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Funny. I have a chance to see them play a special event in a few weeks. This is more tragic than Yes.

21. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

I just watched it last night. Weird.

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

For real?

23. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I hope so. There’s something I don’t like about him.

Tom Perry likes this.
  24. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Seriously, I did watch it last night.

25. Nostaljack

"Forever" from Chicago 18 and "Let's Take A Lifetime" from "SOS" or whatever they're calling it. "Forever" was Dave Boruff and "Let's Take a Lifetime" was Peter Wolf on a synth. "Get on This", which didn't make the album, was basically Kirk Whalum.

Ed

MikaelaArsenault and Tom Perry like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.