Trumbo

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

I am surprised there isn't a separate thread and discussion about this movie. My wife and I just caught it at the sogenannt dollar theater (now 2.25 per ticket on a Saturday afternoon), and it is a terrific movie, money well spent.

I know many of you are familiar with Bryan Cranston because of his excellent work in Breaking Bad (which I haven't seen yet). So this was my first time to see Cranston, and I think he does a fine job of portraying Dalton Trumbo, an excellent screenwriter (e.g., Spartacus, Exodus, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, The Brave One) who, as one of the Hollywood Ten, refused to testify before a government subcommitte investigating Communist influence in the movie industry. He was subsequently blacklisted which hurt his career and family severely, only to be exonerated when calmer emotions (and minds!) prevail -- many years later.

Leading Hollywood actors from yesteryear are portrayed, such as Edward G. Robinson, John Wayne, and Kirk Douglas. I highly recommend this movie, without of course vouchsafing for total historical accuracy.

And without going off into forbidden territory, it is sad to note that the errors which led to such excess in the past are sadly being repeated in different forms even today. An entertaining flick, and surely, Diane Lane as Trumbo's wife was also a fine choice and very easy on the eyes.

ex_mixer likes this.
  2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Great movie that brought to light, at least to me, the fabulously talented Trumbo. My Uncle knew who he was as he was in TV and movies, but I was clueless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.