Try Some Living in the Material World - Harrison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AwaitingOnYouAl, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern Thread Starter

I love this album, but as we all tend to agree, Try Some Buy Some sticks out like a sore thumb of sorts.

Although true, I do love the tune and took it upon myself to merely lower the song half a semitone to match George's vocal register and I do believe the results are a more satisfying take of the song.

I will never understand why they didn't just do this for the record, but perhaps the process sounded like shirtsleeves back then, or was much more difficult. Obviously recording the whole piece all over again would have been nutty and to George, a waste of time. I do think this sounds much better, but to each their own; it certainly sounds a little darker. And please excuse my added fade-in; I never cared for the sudden beginning of this tune. Great song nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
    No Bull likes this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Wasn't this supposed to be for Ronnie Spector?
    The difference is minimal to me, but I like it to start.

3. AwaitingOnYouAl

Yes it was and it was the only song on Living in the Material World that was produced by her husband Phil; as you can tell quite obviously compared to the rest of the album. Recorded at a different time and place as well.

The difference for me is that it actually sounds like regular George singing it; there doesn't seem to be as much strain to me, it just sounds more like him. Admittedly, I am a musician and may have my own bias by ear, but I truly believe he would have recorded it in this key if he recorded it for himself.

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yes, but George is straining to sing in this key, and this does not remove the straining. He should have re-recorded TSBS in this key.

AwaitingOnYouAl and DK Pete like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Ultimately, that would have been he best "solution", alhough, I understand what the OP is saying/doing. Nice attempt. What I'd like to know is what George had in mind with, "You". He sounds like a distant cousin to Mini Mouse.

majorlance likes this.
  6. AwaitingOnYouAl

Agreed. The strain is certainly still there, but since it is within his register, it is softer upon my ears. I do love the arrangement of this song and wish he had recorded it proper, but the times were pretty outright crazy for him, so I get it. It does seem like a filler appendage to the album as a whole however.

Amen. These songs are kinfolk of George's written heap; recorded for someone else, yet ultimately used for his own albums and out of his register. I love the simple descending riff in You and then he starts singing mountain high...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.