Trying to find a 2-LP TV commercial from the 70's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

On a Monkees thread over in the the music forum, there is a discussion going on about a mid-70's 2-LP Monkees compilation, released by RCA Special Products ("Laurie House" is another name on the sleeve).

The ad aired in early '76, and while many people remember seeing it, nobody over there has a copy.

I was wondering if any of the people who frequent this forum might know the commercial in question, and perhaps have a copy of it? (Or, maybe point me in the right direction of dealer that might have it.)

Seeing the commercial for the first time was such a thrill for me because I was finally able to buy my first Monkees album, and I'd like to track down a copy of it.

Any info on this elusive ad would be great! (Thanks!)

2. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

As well as Micky Dolenz in the "Number 1 Hits Of The 60s" spot.I've only been looking for that one for about 25 years.I know lots of hardcore Monkees collectors.Seen a whole bunch of other stuff I never knew exsisted,but that one?--No even an audio tape!

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's possible that a lot of these commercials just don't exist anymore.

4. Michelle66

I remember that one too!

IIRC, Micky was sitting on a giant red #1 as he hawked the record set. (I actually have a copy of that LP. It's not a bad compilation.)

I think the Laurie House ad has a better chance to be found as it came out after VCRs went on sale.

Hopefully, both will turn up for us! :)

5. andrewsandoval

andrewsandoval Senior Member

i actually have the micky one - if i can find the vhs!

6. Drawer L

I seem to remember (at least here in NY),the #1 Hits commercial being rerun in '76-during the Monkees on Channel 5.SOOOO,if someone managed to score one,maybe they got both.....

7. Drawer L

Figured you'd have it!!!:D

8. Michelle66

Your 25-year search is at an end!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPHvjFAWu8k

Now if only the Laurie House ad turns up!

9. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Such a fun and wacky commercial, Michelle! I'd heard about this one for ages, so I'm thrilled to have actually seen it now. Micky could sell anything back then ... haha.:D

10. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Wow, Micky is funny in that..... Too bad he never had his own TV Variety show. With his personality and singing voice, he would have been fabulous.

11. Drawer L

WOW!!!
    That's it.
    I'm done collecting video!!!!!

12. djbh35

djbh35 New Member

Does anyone know any info on the label, reissue producer, any and all credits of the record set Micky is pushing in the 1973 tv offer?

13. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

It was released by TeleHouse, one of many TV-album-offer subsidiaries (Dynamic House, Adam VIII) of Roulette.

"Reissue producer"? Probably a Roulette engineer working unpaid overtime to hurriedly transfer the third-gen tape copies they licensed.

14. Drawer L

Go over to bsnpubs.com there's a label discography for TeleHouse-with complete track listings where available....(MANY label discographys there-great site.Members a bit ODD,but a great site....)

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Geez, that was uncalled for...

ODD? They are true STEREO fans and most prefer Stereo over MONO...I'd say they are quite normal and are a highly intelligent bunch...they know there stuff and listen with both ears wide open.:D

BOTH SIDES NOW STEREO CHAT!
    http://bsnpubs.websitetoolbox.com/

16. Drawer L

Dude!--One of my favorite sites.And I found out about this one on there.BUT,you don't think pieceing together break-in records to insert the bits in stereo is ODD???

Or whining when a CD comp comes out with a mono track,that can be had in stereo on 20+ other CDs????

Or making DES 'mixes' of songs where there's no master tape,never mind stereo.It's mono.It's always gonna be mono.Get over it....

On the other hand,if a CD has a track in REAL,first-time stereo AND it sounds like the 45-I'M THERE!!!

17. Drawer L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.