Tube Amplifers and Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SubtiltyCypress, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SubtiltyCypress

SubtiltyCypress Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I am considering purchasing the Primaluna Prologue One Integrated Amplifier with Focal Aria 926 speakers and I am wondering if the tube sound goes well with electronic music, or would SS be way better? Stuff like Burial, Jon Hopkins, Excision, Feed Me, Madeon etc. A rather eclectic mix of genres based on those artists, but nonetheless, how would that go with a tube amplifier? I would run it all off either a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a 2m Red, or the Bluesound Node.

I rather like a more forward sound and hard hitting, but at the same time, I want the smoothness for many of my vocal and jazz tracks.

Also, I have never officially listened toa tube amp yet, but I wanted everyone's opinions on that anyway, thank you!

lonelysea and Minty_fresh like this.
  2. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Burial is amazing.

Ham Sandwich and lonelysea like this.
  3. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

As much as I love tubes, in your case I would recommend to research some ss amplifier options. You would be sacrificing bass slam and speed for mid range sweetness that you don't really need.

Why do you feel that tubes would be the way to go? Have you tried good solid state amps? In what way were they lacking?

I love tube amplification on classic rock, jazz and on classical music. That's where the trade off between bass control and natural/sweet midrange works in my favour. At least that's my understanding.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. SubtiltyCypress

I have to admit, I really enjoyed the look of the tube amp at first glance, that is what struck me at the first view.

The amps at the shop I go to have the NAD Master M.32 and it sounded like it filled the room, but it felt very flat, in a bad way. It sounded dull and dark. I heard the sound fill the room, but it just didn't sound very danceable and fun. Listening to Rob Zombie on it though had greater detail than I have ever heard before.

I also saw the McIntosh MA7200, and I would somehow consider that, but I doubt the money aspect would be worth it since it is double the price of the speakers.

They also have the Cambridge Azur 851 that I may consider, but If I went with the tubes for jazz, I may consider a cheaper SS like by Emotiva in the worst case until I could afford the McIntosh.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Mac might be the best bet there. I'ad avoid the others mentioned. Have you heard the Rogue Audio Sphinx? If not, try to find your local dealer for that. It'll do a stellar job with a variety of music. It has a very transparent sound, tremendous bass capability and it is a very good value.
    -Bill

Robert C and Roycer like this.
  6. SubtiltyCypress

Would that Mac be too much for those speakers though? Like for the money, would the Electra 1028be's be better worth it with the money?

7. Minty_fresh

Bill, would you say the Rogue is less about the “air” and “sweetness” and more about authority?

8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I personally like the sound of tubes and electronic music, but I think tubes make everything better so don't go by my biased opinion.

Maybe consider class-D. Some of the better class-D is often described as tube-like. It can also deliver a lot of power for the price and size, and handles bass very well. If I ever dropped tubes, I'd go with class-D before going back to SS. (Queue the anti-class-D crowd in 5, 4, 3, 2...)

seikosha likes this.
  9. Minty_fresh

Can I ask what tube amplification you have/think would be Good for electronic music?

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No. That doesn't convey it's capabilities in a way that most people would understand it. I describe it as I did, in that it provides a transparent window onto the original recording, and that it has a tremendous current delivery capability, allowing it to provide extremely fast and deep bass response into speakers that can reproduce it. It'll also "wake up" many speakers that are challenged in that area and at least get the most from them. It isn't the best match for a bright or thin sounding speaker or system as it has little coloration of its own. It is however, a rock solid foundation for building an excellent, new system around.
    -Bill

Robert C likes this.
  11. SubtiltyCypress

Does it sound particularly different than solid state in that genre specifically? Like any key differences?

I have considered the Peachtree Nova, but is only one input ever enough? I woupd plug my turntable, R2R and streamer, and I don't think that would manage enough, unless I got a seperate integrated for my analog components, like a seperate tube setup for that but switch the speakers

12. Minty_fresh

This amp is on my short list but am not sure how it will fare with my Focals. Thanks!

13. SubtiltyCypress

The only dealer I see for it is the Needle Doctor? That is a tough call, and this is in the United States...

14. SubtiltyCypress

Which Focals do you have by chance?

15. Minty_fresh

807V

16. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I borrowed a Primaluna Dialog preamp a few days and coupled it with my modest Classé 70. Very nice combination, sweet but not too sweet. It actually as a nice upgrade to the Classé 30 preamp that I own but without whifting the whole tonal balance that I am usd to hear for more than 25 years. I listen to mostly everything not mainstream if this can be of any help (jazz, prog, electronic, clasical and comtemporary). Anything played on this preamp was well rendered with an a little extra that the Classé or other preamps listed below failed to deliver.

Prior to that I listened to Rogue Rp1, Rp5 and Conrad. Johnson. All were ok but they all had their own signature that was a bit disturbing after many hours of listening. RP5 would have been a keeper but the unit that I borrowed was either defective or had serious engineering flaws.

If you have a dealer around your place who is willing to let you take a tube preamp home for a few days then take the opportunity to compare.

SubtiltyCypress likes this.
  17. SubtiltyCypress

I will try and ask, the place I go by will probably not though, they dont even allow financing of any of their equiptment.

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'm a dealer for them. I am in VA. They have at least one dealer in most every state in the US. One is in W. Philly, near you. The factory is just north of you in PA. There are entirely designed and mfd in PA by a great team of folks. Give them a call and ask who might have one that you can listen to.
    -Bill

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

My amp is a Decware Zen Select, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for electronic music as it's only 2 wpc--like I said, just a personal preference for all things tube. I do think it adds a lushness to electronic music, though, and I know other people who really like tubes for ambiant electronic music for that reason. I was listening to Calvin Harris this morning and really digging the sound--deep round bass and lush tones, but not exactly in your face.

IanL likes this.
  20. SubtiltyCypress

I will definetly check them out, thank you!

21. SubtiltyCypress

Hmm... Sounds similiar to what I heard in the Focal Sopra No2s and it sounded too calm in those speakers. Believe me, they filled the room with startling ease, but the presentation seemed light, though that was even with a Mac setup, so I will try it out and see what it sounds like real soon, Im gonna try for World Wide Stereo tomorrow to test it out.

Am I crazy though for considering a SS and Tube setup for the same speakers?

22. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Sure--see my reply to minty_fresh above. I'll also add that, in general--but definitely not as a rule--you'll loose some of the edge that SS fittingly gives to electronic music. That said, I like what tubes add in place of the edginess, YMMV.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've been using PrimaLuna gear for about a decade and love it. I listen to a LOT of electronic music but my Klipsch Cornwall speakers are very sensitive. I don't think the Primaluna gear is very reminiscent of the tubey gear from the 60s. I have Dynacos MKIIIs when I want to go that route. Today I've listened to Biosphere, Boards Of Canada and Nils Frahm to give you an idea of the stuff I like.

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

It wouldn't fare any better than what you have. Those amps have no low end bass until cranked to a good 80db. You're needing low end at low volume correct? That's the last amp you'd want for that application.

Minty_fresh likes this.
  25. SubtiltyCypress

It does seem a general trend that atmospheris ambient music seemd to worl well with tubes, like BoC, Brian Eno, and I'd suggest 2814 would be well too, so lets bring up a suggestion, how would techno and electro work with these speakers, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.