Tube Amps - Triode Dynaco MK III vs Harman Kardon Citation V vs Conrad Johnson MV-52

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dkorrie, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkorrie

dkorrie New Member Thread Starter

Hello all. I have been researching tube amps and find a jungle of gear out there, old and new, and even more opinions on the subject. So, I am looking for even more opinions. I have narrowed my thoughts down to three amps...I think. I play a variety of music on vinyl, but mostly rock, jazz and R&B and I love hard hitting bass. I have very efficient horn speakers so driving them is not a problem. I am down to the following:
    1 - Building a Triode Dynaco MK III clone kit
    2 - Picking up a used HK Citation V (I would love a III but finding one and then paying for it is difficult)
    3 - Picking up a used Conrad Johnson MV-52 or 75

Some things to consider: Prices on all of these are in the $1-2k range and that is where I want to be. I live right near the CJ factory and have stopped in on occasion to drool over their $40k gear and talk to the guys there so I could have an advantage upgrading their gear. I love to tinker, so building/rebuilding does not concern me.

Thanks for your help!

2. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Build the kit.

Paully likes this.
  3. russk

russk Forum Resident

I remember hearing the mv52 when the mv55 came out and again at a stereo shop in Santa Monica that sold ARC (someone had traded it in for a Classic 60). The mv52 struck me as the antithesis of the ARC Classic 60. The 52 had lots of gooey tuby goodness and the 60 was almost too clean and detailed. If you like CJ gear and live that close I'd definitely go with it. The triode Dynaco is a cool amp but I would pass on it for either the HK or the CJ.

I guess if I am going to refrain from recommending the ubiquitous vintage gear (which I prefer to the above choices, I own a Fisher 500c that's currently at N.O.S. Valves getting some work done) I would probably pick the HK then send it to NOS Valves or a place near you that you're comfortable with for a restoration.

Now that being said. For 2 grand you can get a Line Magnetic 211ia and a decent phono pre. That is probably what I would do in your shoes.

4. dkorrie

Thanks folks! One for the kit and one for CJ. The CJ would be the least expensive of the three for the initial purchase so leaves me more room for mods. Of course, the kit is provided with the upgrades from Trico so no real mods necessary there. In all cases, I cannot listen to any of them first, and that is usually the best way to make a decision, thus the reason for my inquiry. Hey russk, I am from Utica and lived in Santa Monica. May have crossed paths at some point.

Keep em' coming!

russk likes this.
  5. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Then why the big horsepower amps?

jeff

6. dkorrie

I do like it loud, but if you have another suggestion, please share your thoughts.

7. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Maybe a smaller push-pull or single ended amp. What speakers are you using?

jeff

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Speaking from the experience of having owned multiple dynacos, having rebuilt a Citation V, and owning a CJ Premier 1B, the only debate here IMO is between the Citation and the CJ.

The Dynacos are highly overrated. If you want mushy-bass, no highs, and no imagining what-so-ever, then get the mark IIIs. Although if you build these with a kit that installs a really good circuit, then that is a different matter. But the stock Dynaco circuit is not recommended.

The issue with the CJs is that the regulators might need to be rebuilt. But since you live next to the factory, you are in great shape in this regard.

KT88 likes this.
  9. dkorrie

Jeff - I am using a vintage 60's set of University drivers in very large cabinets. Mid and high frequency horns and 15 inch woofers. Currently paired with a rebuilt '72 Marantz 1060.

Tarnished - thanks for your input. The Triode kit is supposed to solve the issues with the original MkIII but I have not found any reviews to substantiate that.

10. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I say build the kit, but I was very fond of my Dynaco, stock circuit and all even if I have moved on to single ended since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.