Tube Phono Stage + Solid State Integrated Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madlove, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field Thread Starter

Anyone running this setup? What type gear? Thoughts? Using this configuration, is there much of a sound difference from just running all solid state?

2. tubbyslion

tubbyslion Forum Resident

Yes. A C22 pre and, a current stopgap, Sumo 'The Nine" amp. There's plenty of magic going on. It's definitely a winning combo. The pre amp pours velvety goodness into the amp to drive. It's my first time back to a tube/ss combo in awhile. Totally has its virtues.

SandAndGlass and Madlove like this.
  3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Yeah got tube phono going into an Integrated in one rig and the other rig has tube phono going into pre and then power amp.

As above. Starts with the tube sound and the SS just makes it bigger.

Was asking about this in a proper stereo store the other day and the word was this is the way to do it since the good gear is at the start of the chain. I asked about adding more tubes downstream and that seamed to be a "suck it and see" situation.

For the 'Drama vs Outcome' equation I'm sticking with this.

Madlove likes this.
  4. attym

attym Forum Resident

I use a Decware ZP3 with a Mcintosh C29 and MC2105 (not integrated, but all Solid State).

I think its a great combo and they really compliment each other.

Cardanken, Dennis0675 and Madlove like this.
  5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes. Tube phono and amp. Custom made both myself, from scratch. No pcbs. Not a kit. All point to point.

Yes, huge sound difference from running all solid state.

Madlove likes this.
  6. Madlove

Thanks for the reply, attym. I too am looking at the Decware ZP3...I reached out to Steve Deckert (he seems very nice) and he said "the ZP3 would indeed sound better than a Rega phono stage, however using the Brio-R integrated as your amplifier the difference you would hear would be relatively small compared to actual difference."

He then advised to "replace the Brio with a tube amplifier, like TORII JR. and still use the Brio phono stage. This would make perhaps 4 times the improvement. Then at some point in the future replace the solid state phono stage with the ZP3 at which point the improvement would be similar. In this way, the ZP3 would sound aprox 8 times better than what you're hearing now. Replacing the solid state phono stage with the ZP3 only, as in the first scenario, would result in a sound approx 50% better."

I'd love to follow his advice but the Torii Jr is over $2,000 and that's out of my budget. He says the ZP3 as phono stage would result in a sound approx 50% better than my current all solid state set up. 50% improvement still seems like a lot to me...and the ZP3 may be within my budget. It's good to hear the comments about this type of set up being complimentary and noticeable.

7. attym

attym Forum Resident

I can't say how much a Tube Amp would change the sound, but I can say that after using the same system and several phono stages (solid state, tube hybrid, all tube).... it made a very noticeable difference and the system is very receptive to tube rolling as well.

I'm sure an all tube system would be even more of a change. This for me was the perfect balance.

rockadelic, tubesandvinyl and Madlove like this.
  8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well made tube pre-amplification has minor downside and major upside. Tube power amps are where more serious trade offs start because they have to drive speakers. So I would recommend for all pre-amplification to be handled by tubes as your long range plan. Whether you move to a tube power amp depends on the efficiency of the speakers you have.

9. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Steve is correct in his advise. Everything would sound better by switching your amplification to a Decware amp. I own a Rega Brio-R myself and like this amp a lot ... and I also own 2 Decware amps (1) Taboo MK II @ 6 watts, and (2) Zen Select @ 2 watts. The Decware amps are superior sounding in every sense compared to the Brio-R bass, mids and up. The only way the Rega is better is when it comes to flexibility as it has more inputs, built in phono stage and remote. But soundwise the Brio-R just cannot compete.

I also have a Rega Fono MM and it sounds better going through the Decware Taboo MK II than the built-in phono stage in the Brio-R.

Your speakers are not efficient enough for me to suggest either of the amps that I own though (as I don't think you would be happy with the volume you would get with 2 or 6 watts on a 87.5dB speaker). You would need to step up to the Torii Jr or a used Torii which I have seen going for less than a new Torii Jr. Or you could think about more efficient speakers such as Omega, Klipsch, Blumenstein Audio, Zu, Tekton, or something along those lines and go with the lower wattage amps.

Something I would suggest as a low budget entry into tubes that performs way above its price point would be:

1. Decware Super Zen Triode $995 (2 watts)
    2. Omega Super 7 monitor $995 (95dB @ 8 ohms)
    3. Lounge Audio LCR MK III phono preamp $300 (not tube based but it sounds pretty great)

All components above are hand made in the USA as well.

Cardanken, IanL and Madlove like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

had a project tube box DS with a NAD amplifier. sounded 3 dimensional and amazing.
    with a tube amplifier i prefer a solid state phono.

Madlove likes this.
  11. Madlove

I'm fortunate to have an amazing local HiFi shop with some great people. I was lent a refurbished Dynaco SCA-35 integrated tube amp to live with for a few days. This is my first intro to tubes. Played some Blue Note LPs tonight for about an hour. Man, it sounded nice. Different than the Brio, lots of warmth, crunch, it sounded beautiful and real. I like the Brio very much and its nice to have something different to compare it to.

12. ARCCJ

ARCCJ Forum Resident

How quiet was your Tube Box DS? I use a different phono stage currently but she's a bit noisy at higher volumes. It might be the cheap wall wart though.

13. avanti1960

At moderately high volumes you could hear some hiss if you were about a foot from the speakers. During the year and 1/2 I used it the noise never became an issue during listening. Listening to quiet passages on vinyl at very high volume(e.g. some classical) the noise of the vinyl was more audible.
    The sound quality if the unit is well worth the cost. The perfect thing to warm up a vinyl system with a solid stat amplifier. It will sound so much better than the best digital or CD sources.

14. advisor02

advisor02 New Member

Thanks for starting this thread, I've been looking into this and have had similar questions? Curious if anyone has had experience with Rogue Audio's Pharaoh?

Madlove likes this.
  15. avanti1960

yes. i did not sound "tubey" enough for me.

16. advisor02

advisor02 New Member

What about the Cronus Magnus then?

17. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I use my tubed Cary Audio PH-301 MKI (3 x 12AU7 and 2 x 12AX7) with my solid state Goldmund integrated amp and also with my DNM preamp with Meitner Audio MTR-101 mono block amps. I like both of these combinations.

Scott

18. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

I have a Croft RIAA Tube Phono Stage headed my way to pair with my Rogue Sphinx (Hybrid). I'll report back when I've spent some time with the pairing.

19. avanti1960

very tubey.

20. I've been thinking about this as well, although I'm quite content with the phono section of my Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl integrated, which sounds slightly warm of neutral. I'm really intrigued by the Manley Chinook phono pre, although it's a bit pricey.

21. Madlove

Cayin A-50T integrated amplifier

Nice review, nice price point, might be nice to run this with the Brio phono stage...

This Cayin also is available with a built in phono stage for a few more hundred, still below $2,000.

Anyone have any experience with Cayin? In the review they address pretty thoroughly the China connection and still rave.

I'm also exploring having my hifi pal doing a Dyna ST70 rebuild / update and then building on that.

22. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

Using a Budgie tube phono preamp $399 out of my Cambridge Audio 840a integrated. There are good reviews of the Budgie here and on other sites. Shannon Parks builds them in Washington state and his customer service is top notch. I really enjoy the tube phone pre warmth vs. the SS phone pre I was using.

23. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

I'm also using one of Shannon's Budgies with my Hegel H80 integrated (SS).....the Budgie is extremely flexible and sounds great through the Hegel.....

24. Suppertime

Suppertime Member

Any thoughts on best $1500 tube phono stage to pair with a Parasound Halo Integrated?

25. avanti1960

Madlove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.