Tube Phono Stage..thinking of diving in...Suggestions $500+/-

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a handful of well regarded "budget" phono stages..Schiit Mani, Lounge Audio LCR, Graham Slee, etc..

Any suggestions for nice sounding, well built TUBE phono stages around $500?

Table: Rega Planar 3 2016-

2. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I am all ears on this one, as I am also shopping. Had my mind set on the Budgie, only to find they are discontinued.

VictoryHighway likes this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

...yes, I saw that, and was bummed...bizarre pivot to DSP...

NewKidInTown and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

IF...you don't mind waiting for your stage to be made, you might consider stretching another $100 and get a Tavish Design Vintage 6SL7 phono pre. I've heard really good things about it.

Vintage 6SL7 Phono Stage (MM / MC)

recstar24 likes this.
  5. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

DIY an option? I got started with the Bottlehead Seduction (now called the Reduction) with my old Rega P3-24. Really quite amazing bang for buck.

6. ServingTheMusic

it looks nice..what is the turn around time...also how do you decide what tubes to choose...

7. ServingTheMusic

DIY=DOA Lol...two left hands..:D

tiller likes this.
  8. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Oh about a month and a half lol! This company's products are all in high demand, and unfortunately have a wait list.

The stock tubes should be nice, and of course there's a rabbit hole full of NOS and other vintage tubes to explore to raise the sound quality a notch or two.

9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

After purchase remember you may want to try different tubes.

10. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Hagerman has a few options available, namely the Bugle3 and the Cornet2. Both are highly regarded, but perhaps not the best looking things. That's the rub when you want to keep costs down. Traditionally these were sold as kits (no DIY I know) but they seem to be offered as prebuilt options now. I don't think you can go wrong with these for the price!

Phono

11. ServingTheMusic

I knew about Hagerman, but for some reason forgot he did tubes too...The Comet3 may be the one...thanks for link...!

12. ServingTheMusic

6 weeks is not too bad.

Rabbit hole indeed..spending more on the tubes then the unit is crazy..but people do it..

My only "concern" is the wal wart power supply...

13. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Depends how you come down on the ethics of copying and selling existing designs, but there's at least a couple people around here using EAR 834p clones from China, which you can get for between $300 and $400 on ebay from companies like Douk (they even sell one with copper tape covering the EAR name, which is sold without the tape in their home market) ... not something I would be comfortable with buying, but a huge bargain compared to what is available on the market in this price range ...

[​IMG]

H8SLKC and Kiko1974 like this.
  14. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

The Project Tube Box DS is 399.99 down from 699.99 because a newer model came out. Sound is the same on both units, the newer model just offers a feature you may or may not use. I forget what it was right now -maybe more options for MC carts. I purchased a DS and used it for a few months to hold me over while I was between stages. It sounds really good. My advice is DO NOT swap tubes, just go with the factory set, they sound really good. I spent a couple hundred dollars on tubes and went back to the stock ones. For 399.99 it is a very nice tube phono.

E.Baba, Shiver, Helom and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think tubed designs in that price range are generally going to be hybrids, which aren't my thing. With the phono stages you have, I think anything at this price point (tubes or SS) will be a mostly horizontal upgrade. I'd be patient and double your budget (at least) and revisit the situation.

trd, Dennis0675, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  16. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Davey,

How does this sound? I was on the fence about this. I have found the MM/MC version for $450 , but was curious to read a review.

To the OP,
    I have a hybrid ProJect Tubebox SEII that I am currently running. I like it a lot. It replaced a Little Bear T10 that sounded pretty good. I did have some issues with it, but with the ProJect I have no more problems. You can find one if you look for it, probably $150 -250 range, allows for MM/MC and really improved on my Little Bear experience.

SB

E.Baba likes this.
  17. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

No idea, like I said, it's not something I would be comfortable buying, but there are a lot of discussions around at sites like this.

Steve Baker likes this.
  18. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I would tend to agree with this but that little Tube Box DS is not a bad little unit and if he absolutely hates it he can return it to Music Direct within 60 days or sell it for not much of a loss.

19. ServingTheMusic

Another good option..Project...thanks.

E.Baba likes this.
  20. ServingTheMusic

..you may be on to something..something like a Rogue Ares at 2 grand is probably a massive step up..

21. ServingTheMusic

Cool, thanks..i am rolling with MM only...no future plans for MC.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

If you're still tube-curious though, you could also look into the new Line Magnetic phono stage at that price point.

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Plus me on this.

Little Bear was an interesting budget buy but h had problems.
    Now have a Pro-Ject Tube box and very happy.

24. ServingTheMusic

wow. it looks very interesting..one might buy it on looks alone...

25. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Not at all the same thing, but since you have a bunch of really good phono stages I might look at the Jolida Foz SSX -- Sound Stage Expander if you just want to add tubes to your system. You can roll tubes and have some fun playing with the dials on the front. They are $400. Just throwing out a different option since tube phono stages tend to be double your budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.