Tube preamp upgrade suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Louis Kirsch, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking to upgrade my beloved Modwright LS-100 and soliciting recommendations from our knowledgeable group. My profile is up to date so I won't bore you with those details. My requirements are fairly simple. Must have a pair of true XLR inputs and one out and a mono switch. Budget is 5k and looking pre-owned exclusively. My research this far has helped me narrow it down to the BAT and Mac product line and within the aforementioned VK52se, vk32se and the C2500. I have heard the 32se but not the others. I'm open to other manufacturers as well.
    Would prefer to stay fairly current age wise. I would say newer than 5 years.
    Was a side note I have budgeted for a phono stage upgrade within the next 6 months and toying with the notion of speakers as well.
    My music tastes are vintage jazz. Classic rock and blues so fairly broad.
    Thanks in advance.

Lou

2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think BAT is right where you want to be.

Louis Kirsch likes this.
  3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I know you mentioned used exclusively, but the new Rogue Rp7 meets all your requirements and is a very, very good preamp.

Products_RP7.htm

Louis Kirsch likes this.
  4. Don't know anything about Bat gear but I can comment on the Mcintosh c2500. I've had my 2500 about 5 months and love it. The 2500 replaced my long time Musical Fidelity 308cr full function pre amp. In my room with my gear the 2500 quickly became Keystone! From top to bottom the presentation smooth with deep bass but never boomy, full high frequencies but not tinny and the mid range is lush, yet very transparent. The c2500 is worth every penny and my only regret is not buying any Mcintosh gear in the past.

BTW the C2500 pdf owners manual can be downloaded from the Mcintosh web page.

McLover and Louis Kirsch like this.
  5. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Hey Louis,

You might want to think about getting a good tube integrated. I also have a LS-100 and a ModWright Transporter and I was using this combo with an Audio Research VS-55. Thought I had a sweet system but then for kicks I tried a MasterSound Due Trenta, a 35 Wpc, KT-88 tube integrated. So the Transporter goes directly into the amp, you eliminate a component/interconnect, and guess what, it sounds a ton better. Best depth I've ever had with digital. Now a lot of that might be that the MasterSound is just so much better than the Audio Reseach, but most likely the removal of a component has a lot to do with it.

I still use the LS-100 as a phono pre for now.

I don't know if you have considered this route, but don't sell it short, you might be amazed

Louis Kirsch likes this.
  6. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great info. Further validates that I'm on the right path. I've got a pair of M150 mb amps and love them so Rogue is certainly worth considering.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Mac is awesome and heard it plenty of times so I know its a good pre, but I would also look into the Decware ZTPRE Pre + ZP3 Phono Stage. Both are Point to Point, Lifetime warranty,made in the USA and the ZTPRE is a true balanced pre as well and real dual mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.