Tube rolling preamp or power amp gain tubes, which ones (or both)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sjerseydad22, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjerseydad22

sjerseydad22 Member Thread Starter

I have a PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP power amp and its preamp mate the DiaLogue Premium. Both units came with six stock gain tubes each. Does anyone know if I would affect the resulting sound more by rolling out only the preamp gain tubes? Or is there more of an effect by rolling out only the power amp gain tubes? Are the "greatest" impacts produced by rolling out the gain tubes on both units?

2. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

I got very good results rolling with the gain tubes. The power tubes also have an impact but to a lesser extent. Also in a PrimaLuna :)
    Plenty of threads here on the forum, search for it.

3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Depends on the circuit, but in my experience, gain stage tubes generally the most, and first gain stage vs. later gain stage. And, furthermore, there are so many good used pulls on the market at affordable price, you can play around to your hearts content with new and old production. Trying to find great old production EL34's is getting tough and very expensive. But there an be pretty substantial differences in power tubes too. That's an ultralinear EL34 amp right? There aren't too may new production tubes that are true pentode EL34's....what you get are beam tetrodes like 6CA7's and KT77's, which will sub perfectly, but which tend not to have the same sonic character as the old pentodes. So if you're switching between a real pentode and, say a kinkless tetrode like the KT77, there might be a pretty substantial sonic difference. If you're switching between a New Sensor made Mullard and a New Sensor made Electro Harmonix, maybe not as much.

russk likes this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

What he said ^^. I'll add that I find UL amps and amps with more feedback and complexity in the circuit design tend to exhibit the least sonic change from tube rolling. The simpiler the circuit the more notable the difference. I think that's why some folks don't believe in rolling tubes for sonics. Good NOS power tubes tend to be more linear and have higher output and of course last much longer.

5. sjerseydad22

sjerseydad22 Member Thread Starter

Re the above three preceding comments, thank you but I can see that I may not have been as precise in my initial question as I thought.

I was not asking about rolling power tubes but only the gain tubes. What's more, re the gain tubes, I was looking to hear if anyone has experience comparing how much of an impact on sound there is if one rolls out only the gain tubes (yes first, then second gain) on either/or or both amp and preamp. IOW, I roll out four tubes only on the pre; nothing on the amp. Okay, I can hear some sonic difference. But would I get even more of a change in sound by rolling out four more tubes on the amp, in which case at that point I have now rolled out a total of eight tubes. Likewise, if I rolled out four tubes on the amp only (retaining the four stock tubes in the preamp), would this amp-only change have more of a sonic impact than if I were to only roll the preamp?

6. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I just put a set of Electro Harmonix EL34's in my Jolida yesterday and they sound great. And they're not edgy sounding like the new set of Mullards were that I had in it prior to one flairing up.

They came from Jolida actually. I asked if they had a set that were run in an amp and the tech said he had a set running in an amp they were burning in so I bought those. I was pleasantly surprised how good they sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.