Tube rolling the DECWARE Zen Tori (Integrated amplifier)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, the tubes are broken in and they're very nice. I think I prefer the open midrange and tighter bass of the Winged Cs, but these are very nice.

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree with you Lonson.. Tried the Shuguangs (the black bottle ones) and they actually make the amp sound a bit harsh. I prefer the winged C's as well. More musical for my money!

3. Lonson

Thanks. I probably won't try the Treasures then, and order another quad of Winged Cs soon.

Looking forward to your official review!

4. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Forum Resident

Interesting. I have not put the Winged Cs in either of my Toriis yet. I tried the JJ 6CA7s, and they were pretty good, but lacked the depth and inner level of detail. The Shuguang Treasures do not seem harsh to my ears, but of course, our systems are likely different. My Decware Ultra feeds both Toriis, and it is chock full of platinum-graded National PCC88s from Upscale. The combo is very satisfying, though I am sure my rig is still breaking in. In total, each amp has less than 1500 hours on it, maybe less than 1000.

5. Lonson

Well in six months, my tube complement has changed. I'm using a pair of late 'fifties RCA 5U4GB ST type rectifiers that have frankly changed the sound for the better. More open, and yet with an appealing warmth. I changed one set of regulator tubes to dial that sound in best, I'm now using 'fifties OA3 bottle type, a great match for the rectifiers. With the JJ 6CA7s and the "super cryo'd" 6N1Ps I'm getting amazing sound, sound that surprises me still sometimes. My two audio sources are well-served and my ERR speakers are singing. I'm going to keep this bliss going as long as possible. :)

6. TONEPUB

Going to be using mine with a pair of freshly rebuilt Quad 57's later in the year. Can't wait!

7. Lonson

I'm sure that will be very interesting. I know/I hope you'll let us know how that works out.

8. TONEPUB

I'm hoping that this will be an amazing match!

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I bet that will sound good. I've heard tubes on David Chesky's Quads and they sound wonderful.

10. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Will probably sound fantastic! Let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.