Turntable advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evan, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

I would like to replace my turntable and need advice on what to look for in a Good turntable. Things like New or used? Belt dive vs direct drive? How heavy should the platter be (minimum), etc. Oh, and yes I am on a budget. Say $100 to $800 (lower is better) Mostly, I want bang for my buck (and good sound). Thanks guys!!

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

In this price range go for Pro-Ject ... their turntables are very good... similar like the Rega's, but better quality.

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Or try a Pro DJ model like Numark or Gemini. I've got a Numark TT100 and I think it's a great player for the price.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

NorthernLightFX.com does carry pro DJ turntables from Gemini, Stanton and Numark and they are great turntables for the low prices they charge and have great sound, especially with a decent cartridge. BTW, our Stanton B-stock turntables have all sold out already. Did any of you who collect 78s take advantage of the offer which I have posted here a few times?

5. akshobhyavajra

akshobhyavajra New Member

Belt drive is generally the more purist approach; howbeit there are a few direct drives out there - I have both and prefer the belt drive. Look for some upgradability; i.e. after market arms, platter if possible, etc. - as far as platter goes the heavier the better (though materials play a role as well). But on your budget you'll be somewhat limited with regard to choices in that area.

New tables:

You could also take a look at a Music Hall - MMF-5 Turntable - comes with a comes mounted with a high quality Goldring GI012 MM cartridge or Rega Planar 2 - with an RB300 arm - if you can swing it. Don't forget to include money for a cart - like a Shure M97, Grado Blue Prestige, or the before mentioned 1012 - if you can swing it.....

Used tables:

Check audiogon.com for Music Hall MMF-7; Rega Planar3 turntable (w/RB300 tonearm) - they are found for around $400 or so; Project/Sumiko Perspective - often found for about $600.

IF YOU HAVE PATIENCE....wait until you can afford something along the line of a VPI Scout or Nottingham Interspace - you'll spend less money and time upgrading...I think we're all on a budget ~ :D

Finally - do a search on various forums to get more info - ex.:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Best Regards,

~Michael~

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Thumbs up on that Grado Prestige blue. I use one on my TT and can attest to it being an excellent value.

7. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've been trolling eBay for awhile checking out the more recent Dual turntables. A great value if you don't want to spend a lot, and want decent quality. Buddy of mine is on an even more limited budget, and one of those recent Dual CS-series 'tables would just fit the bill.

I prefer direct drive only for reliability--right now, that's more important to me than that ultimate last little "eek" of sound quality. I still have on hand what might be called an "audiophile" turntable--it's a belt-drive deck made by Walker in the U.K. (They're probably long gone--the model # is CJ-55, "CJ" being for owner Colin Walker and his wife Janet.) It is made totally out of wood products--bakelite platter and sub-platter, wood frame, wood chassis. Other than speed instability from the belt drive, and the fact that the motor ran a little too fast, it wasn't bad. I ended up replacing it with a Denon direct-drive deck; bought it from someone who had the same Grace G707II tonearm I had, so I just bolted the arm on, aligned the Shure V15VMR, and I was back up and running.

I may sell that other 'table on eBay one of these days, or just hang onto it if I can score another Grace tonearm for it. (Its standard tonearm board was for a Linn tonearm, IIRC.)

I also want to get one of those Bang & Olufsen linear-tracking turntables...just because they LOOK so darned cool! :D

8. BradOlson

We do sell both Direct Drive and belt drive turntables.

9. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I've had a Rega Planar P3 turntable for three years.Been real happy with it.I think it lists for 675 dollars.You can also trade up later. Good luck.

10. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

That's fine if you only want to look at it, but beware:

(1) It uses special cartridges that only B&O makes. Of the five models they originally made, only two are still available. And they aren't cheap.

(2) Other replacement parts are almost impossible to obtain. B&O is out of the turntable business, and the downside to their unique designs is that you can seldom find equivalent parts from another manufacturer.

Some audiophiles scorn the B&O TTs as being all looks and no performance, but I do know two analog audiophiles who have sworn by them for 20 years. Whatever your take on them, there's no denying that they were quite innovative.

11. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Why have two types? Is one better for some things and the other type better for others? I have always heard belt drive was the best way to go... Sorry for the lame question. Just curious.

12. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Good sounding affordable turntables are in a good shape these days - there's plenty of choice out there.

Generally, belt drive turntables tend to sound better than direct drive tts (most of the DD tts have been japan Inc's attempts to turn a turntable from a device that needs good engineering into an electronic device. But good engineering can't be beat!).

In the new tt market, start with Project (in the US this may be sold under the Sumiko brand; plus some varients are sold under the Music Hall brand). Also look at the Rega 2 and 3 turntables. These have long been budget audiophile favourites - deservedly so.

I'd suggest that you find a dealer that has some expertise in tts. They should be able to demonstrate the sonic differences between the various tts. You should find that, in the price area you're looking at, improvements in sound should be obvious and worthwhile - more so than for CD players and amps.

13. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Evan, before you consider buying an American turntable for use here in Japan, you may want to verify that the motor will run at the proper speed as American service is 60Hz whereas Tokyo is 50Hz. I've had problems with some electrical appliances that I brought over from the States.

14. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Speaking of platter upgrades, have any Rega people here ever tried an acrylic platter to replace the glass (or MDF, in the case of the P2)? Sheer Audio sells one for under $100.

I doubt I'll put any more $$ into my Rega Planar 3 at this point though ... I may be upgrading both my turntable and my amplification next year.

15. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member

I've been very happy with my Rega P3. I also use a Thorens 166 TT for transferring vinyl to CDR and a Dual 1229 for 78 rpm (with Shure V15 III 78 stylus).

16. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

When I owned a turntable is was a Thorens. The model number escapes me but the sound of the Thorens was glorious. It cost me $175 back in
    1971. I'm not sure how much one would cost today. Figure out the inflation factor. It was a beauty though.

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Gary, $175 in 1971 is $776.91 in 2002.

mud-

18. BradOlson

The majority of the DJ turntables are direct drive although there are belt drive DJ turntables as well.

19. DaveD

DaveD Member

If you decide on Rega, there is an upgrade path that you can buy into cheap that will stay with you through more expensive tables if you ever upgrade.

Instead of buying a stock Rega RB250 or RB300 tonearm, buy the modified RB250 from Origin Live. Get a new table without an arm. Or, buy a used Planar 2 table with the 250 arm, and send the arm for modification when you can afford it. Then you will have a killer arm that will shine on a better table if you want to upgrade. A new design Planar 3 with the modified RB250 may be your first and last table.

The audio world is littered with cast-offs on the unattainable path to perfection. If you have an Origin Live 250 arm, it will be all the arm you need unless you get a serious case of audiosclerosis.

Check out the reviews reprinted on the OL website http://www.originlive.com/

DaveD

20. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. So many choices. The Pro-Ject turntables are nice. I was thinking about getting myself a Thorens TD-125 if I could find one in good shape. It is belt driven and upgradable ( the arm at least). I will keep hunting on the web for now. If I don't get anything before we go back to the USA, I will expand my search to looking for dealers that have some expertise in turntables. Of course, the VPI Scout is a beauty. If I start saving now... :D

21. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I used to have a more expensive Pro-ject (a Perspective), which was nice, but their cheaper models are generally believed to have better value for money. They also make a TT that comes with a built-in phono stage; don't know how good that one is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.