Turntable Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tanqueray, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well time for a TT change/upgrade . So far I have compiled 3 contenders that I like in no particular order 1: Rega RP10 Turntable with Aphelion cartridge 2: McIntosh MT 10 with the DA VINCI V2 Cartridge. 3: Clearaudio Innovation Wood with Clearaudio Universal tonearm .
    .......any thoughts/opinions or suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

That kind of money, go listen. The Mac is probably the worst value, unless you have Mac gear already and want it to match. It is made by Clearaudio, so you can get more value by buying the Clearaudio you are considering. Both the Rega and Clearaudio are excellent tables, but will sound different. Use your ears, not ours.

3. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Clearaudio Ovation with a Universal arm as an upgrade from my VPI Classic 3 with 3D arm and love it. I would highly recommend the Clearaudio Innovation and Universal over your other choices for bsng for the buck (vs the Mac) and flexibility. I use a Lyra Delos and will likely upgrade to a Kiseki Purpleheart - the Universal makes set up a breeze.

bluemooze and Tanqueray like this.
  4. Tanqueray

NIce!...........in what way would you say the Universal makes set up a breeze?

5. Tanqueray

I agree and do always use my ears, but still its nice to simply get some "feedback" from others who may own or have the TT's I mentioned.

6. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

Well, VTA is a breeze and can be adjusted on the fly if you get the VTA option (it’s easy without the option too). You get 4 counterweights and VTF is dialed in as is anti-skate - all very precisely. Azimuth is easy to adjust as well - don’t need shims like Rega does when using non-Rega carts. The arm is very stable and precise - much better than the Rega arm. Not sure which Clearaudio arm is on the Mac, but stay away from the magnetic Clarify. That is the one Clearaudio arm that’s a PITA.

7. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

#firstworldproblems

Rochdale3 likes this.
  8. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Have you checked out a VPI Prime Signature?

Tanqueray likes this.
  9. Tanqueray

In the past I have,but not recently.

10. Cosmo-D

Cosmo-D Well-Known Member

A new Technics SL-1200G would be my choice. I believe they're in the same price range as the posted turntables.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  11. Tanqueray

After some intense listening sessions/demos and even a deal falling thru.............I have chosen my new TT. The Mcintosh MT10(Cartridge is the Clearaudio TALISMANN V2 GOLD).....my new MT10 will arrive in a few weeks ......I am sure the new member will fit right in and sound and look right at home in my Audio System [​IMG]

Pics used by permission from SoundRebels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Looks really good! What are your impressions now that you have had a chance to listen for awhile and break in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.