Turntables You Have and Turntables You Want

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ranonranonarat, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranonranonarat

ranonranonarat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've just got into Vinyl 6 months ago and as with all my interests, I have a tendency to hoard (not sure whether to be proud or ashamed) and also pick up more along the way. My first turntable might be a debatable one for many but where I come from, we don't have a huge used market for beginner gear so there goes! I would also love to know what everyone else feels about my current/future list and also their own current/future list.

OWNED In Order Of Purchase:
    1) Music Hall MMF2.2 (picked this up over the RP1 and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon because of adjustable VTA)
    2) Sansui SR-636 (surprise find, the speed on this one was broken and I practically had this for free through a trade. fixed the speed inconsistency for a dime but haven't had the chance to play around with it yet)
    3) Technics SL-3300 (wanted a fully automatic table for the fun of it and I love how convenient it is and also the s-shaped arm)

WANT TO OWN:
    1) Technics SL-1200MK2 (only at a good price though, would love to see why this has been so highly rated)
    2) Dual 1219 (the aesthetics look great and I've heard many good things about it)

I would love to add a third table to my "WANT TO OWN" list but it will probably have to be something that will be sonically better. I have a budget of $1500 but can be pushed slight for this and would like to know if there are recommendations that I should have a look at.

Many thanks!

2. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

OWN : Rega Planar 2 with glass platter, bought in mint condition for £20 a couple of years ago from someone who was buying a new TT.
    WANT TO OWN : Fine with what I have; I don't think I could get any better value for money.

3. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

6 months and a couple of TTs.. You got it bad.

I own a Rega P5 with a Benz Glider cart to a Bryston phono box (BP 1.5)
    And a Kuzma Stabi S Stogi S arm, with a Dynavector 17D3 cart, to the phono section of an Audio Research Sp-15
    Finally a Dual Golden One with a Dynavector Ruby 23 to an Audio Research PH-2

I would like to own a Rega RP8 and sell the P5

ranonranonarat and raferx like this.
  4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Own
    Avid Acutus Reference
    VPI Aries 3 with Superplatter, SDS, Ring and Center Weight

Want
    VPI Classic Direct Drive to Replace Aries3

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

own:
    Thorens TD160C (everything stock)
    Technics SP15 (Audio-Technica AT-1010DTS tonearm)
    Dual 1214
    BSR XL-1200 linear tracker

want:
    Thorens TD 124
    Lenco GL75

Though to be honest I'm not looking very hard. If a good deal came my way I would go for it.

6. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

I'm in the process of upgrading my turntable and have demoed several in the last few weeks. My top pic, although a little outside of my budget, is a Well Tempered Amadeus. I still have to demo the Pro-Ject Perspex6 and VPI Traveler, but will probably end up with either a Rega RP6 or Tri-Art Audio Pebbles (bamboo table).

7. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Nordmende (re-branded DUAL 1229 I think) with a SHURE 75 cart - in 1071
    first HiFi table
    DUAL CS 701 with SHURE V-15 Type III in 1975,
    served me well till a few months ago.
    Technics SL1210 MK 2 with Stanton HP 680 HP, Ortofon Broadcast E in 1997 or so
    2 years later I bought a second Technics SL 1210 MD3 with a matched pair of
    STANTON GROOVEMASTER Roger Sanchez style - Concorde carts - ellyptical
    Now by far the best
    THORENS TD 206 with a SUMIKO BPS EVO III

Phono Musical Fidelity V-PSU powering up a V-LPS (also V-CAN + V-DAC) both not in use atm. Music Hal DAC 25.3 got a nicer sound + much sweeter sounding headphone output.

Liked to own varios tables Montegiro Bamboo for 8.000 Brinkmann Bardo Direct Drive, REGA RP 10, VPI Classic 3 DD but in the end if I had to choose 1 now it would be the top THORENS TD 550 with the brandnew 12" Thorens tonearm driving either a BENZ Gullwing, LYRA Olympic or first choice a KOETSU Rosewood Special.
    A Simon Yorke S 10 could actually surpass this choice. There are that many good ones.
    http://recordplayer.com/en/turntable/s-10.html
    http://www.audio.de/testbericht/plattenspieler-thorens-td-550-tp-125-313128.html
    http://www.montegiro.de/de/legno.html
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/brinkmann-audio-bardo-turntable

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have a modified Technics 1200II. As good as it gets when it comes to TTs IMO.

Would like an SME V arm on it, it will maybe happen next year.

Nielsoe and Wally Swift like this.
  9. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I've owned a Thorens 160 Super, VPI HW19 mk3, VPI Scout and currently have a Rega P25. I've always wanted a Rega P9 or one of those restored Gerrard or Lenco tables on a nice slate plinth, but for now the P25 is more than enough for my current system. Honestly, for all the money spent on tables (though all were bought used and resold for about what I paid) I should have stopped at the Thorens and just been happy.

ddarch and ranonranonarat like this.
  10. macster

macster Forum Resident

Owned:
    Phillips GA212 (or whatever it was),
    Dual CS505 (killer table for the price may snag one again)
    Sota Sapphire Eminent Tech arm.
    Linn LP12 (fully loaded for time)
    Project Basic model (surprisingly good for the money)
    VPI Classic 1
    VPI Aries 3 latest model with Classic 3 tonearm (I'm in love)

Want to own;

Rega 9/10
    VPI DD

M~

11. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

I have owned:
    Thorens 166
    Rega P-3
    Rega P-25 (?)
    Scheu Premier

I now own:
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    Technics SP-15
    Technics SP-25

As you can see I've gone through the belt drive thing and landed on direct drives....I think I'll keep these.

Old Rusty, Nielsoe and panasoffkee like this.
  12. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

My turntables have been in flux for the past 2 years as I have been rebuilding and selling. I do have in storage not for sale a mint AR XA an earlier model with the smooth grey finished deck. I also have a small collection standing by for rebuild and for sale:
    Dual 1229, 1219, 1218, 1010,
    Kenwood KD 5070,
    Lenco (forget which model, it's in storage)
    Technics SL-3 linear tracking turntable
    Technics SL-D205 which is the workhorse for test playing records going up for sale.

I would like to own,
    One of the heavy RekOKut models with a "washing machine" motor
    Thorens TD-124
    Garrard 301 (love vintage rim drive turntables)

ranonranonarat and Ash76 like this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Have owned a Linn Valhalla, Ittok arm, Audio Technica high output moving coil cartridge, also a Thorens [sorry, don't know the model #] a Dual [80's and not that great] 2 Philips [ok turntable, lousy arm], about 5 AR XA's, two of which I adapted for Grace 707 arms, one getting a lot of Merrill Mods in the process. Others I forgot as well.

Now have a Strathclyde 305 m with SME III arm, Shure 97 cartridge, a Sansui 222* fitted with a Audio Technica p-mount cartridge on an adapter, a couple of semi-functional P/E turntables that I use for 78 transfers and a couple more decks too cruddy to mention plus three junkers for parts.

What I would want to own is unobtanium as regards my cash flow. Fantasyland includes the VPI direct drive 'table, the SME 30 and the Rega RP 10.

* Can't properly call it a giant-killer but it does punch well above its weight.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  14. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

If I may make an unsolicited comment about the Duals, since I restore these wonderful machines. The 1219 is a fine turntable. Some like it better than the 1229, and CS 701. The major weakness is they require maintenance and eventual rebuild. This always involves partial disassembly, removal of old grease and lubricants, and re-lube. One of their common problems is a seized speed selector, and a broken lever from someone trying to force it. The rebuild must be done by an experienced tech familiar with Duals.

Other common flaws to look for (or be aware of) is a glazed idler which can be de-glazed, also runout of the platter (similar to a record warp) causes wow, since the idler wheel will be forced to shift up and down on the tapered drive wheel. The platter and idler wheel must have no runout. The platter bearing can become worn by lack of maintenance. The headshell pins always develop a patina, which increases resistance and capacitance, then eventual failure, so they will require cleaning. The audio mute contacts also develop the same problem. (the Dual mutes the audio during automatic functions to prevent any noise or thumps sent your amp and speakers) The contacts should be micro-polished to extend their service life. It's a LOT of work to restore a Dual properly and have it function reliably for decades.

Sadly, there are a LOT of hacks out there who fail to do a proper job, the wrong lubes, and parts lubed which are not supposed to be. This can lead to erratic automatic function, most commonly the arm fails to return to rest.

A technics SL-1200 is one of the safest purchases, since they're bulletproof and do not require any maintenance. The Dual 1219 is superior sonically IMO. I suggest a guarantee from the seller just in case, or an unmolested non-functioning Dual with the typical frozen speed selector, and have a good tech bring it back to life. A properly restored 1219/ 1229 can go for $350.00, which I feel is undervalued. The hacks tend to damage the value of these, since they are a fine piece of machinery which require a fine technician. I use special grease that does not harden for my rebuilds. My first one was back in 1996 for a friend. It's still going.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  15. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Owned: Connoisseur BD1 (might have been a BD2, can't remember), first real table after some dodgy console I inherited from the family room and there might have been a couple of 'music centers' (remember them?) along the way too in student days. That gave way (stupidly) to an all AKAI set up when I got a job, before seeing sense and picking up a used Rega P3 to set me on my way. From there it was on to a VPI Aries (bought new!) then on to a used SME 20/2 and SME V arm, which I bought used. This is my current rig.

Would like --- oh boy....an SME 30/12, oh dreams.....but even used (my favorite kind) these are north of $20k. Love the look of the Spiral Groove tables too, the classic and even current top of the range Thorens. For reasons that can only be rooted in nostalgia, I also love the look of the Luxman PD171....no apologies on that, half the pleasure of analog is physical but I gather it sounds pretty fine too.

utahusker likes this.
  16. Again read Jerods ongoing thread here. Some similarities.

17. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Owned:All of these sold before buying the next table
    1)Cheap Webcor
    2)AR XA
    3)Technics 1700
    4)Rega P3-24
    4)VPI Scout
    5)Avid Diva II
    6)Thorens TD-124
    7)bought 2nd Avid Diva II

Current:

Avid Diva II upgraded to SP

18. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Thorens TD 160BC with SME 3009 Series II improved arm.

I have owned it from new since 1981

Currently mated to Ortofon 2M Bronze cart.

Not looking to change, but the new Thorens decks are gorgeous.

[​IMG]

Sounds like you're hooked:righton:

19. martinb

martinb Senior Member

Currently own a lightly modified Technics Sl1200 which I've had for 6 years.

Happy with it, but would really like to try a Linn LP12.

ranonranonarat and Gasman1003 like this.
  20. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Currently own a Technics SL-1650 (love that damn thing)
    Own a Technics SL-3350 as a backup (got it off ebay, it was pretty much new, guy never used it)
    Own 4 Technics sl-1200MKII

Would like to own the VPI direct drive turntable for special albums and living room centerpiece.

Nielsoe and ranonranonarat like this.
  21. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Own: Dual 1249, Technics SLQD3
    Want: Technics 1200, Dual 1249

22. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Started with an Audio Technica AT-LP120 and a Shure M97xe and upgraded to a Rega RP40 with Elys40 cart. Currently very happy but a VPI Direct Drive would be quite nice someday!

23. contium

contium Forum Resident

Own/Owned in order:
    Technics SL-D2
    Technics SP-20
    Technics SP-10
    Technics SL-1200 (several models)
    Well Tempered Classic (a revelation)
    Paris Oracle MK IV
    Pro-ject Debut III (for 78's)
    Marantz TT-15s1

Want (besides the insanely priced turntables):