Tutorial : How to add any IR remote function to Logitech Harmony remotes.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Before we begin, let's add a few limitations that couldn't be included in the title.

- This is using the MyHarmony software only, which, AFAIK, is solely for the following models ; 600, 650, and 700.
    - Although earlier models can use the MyHarmony software, they do not support multiple devices.
    - This was solely tested on the 650 model which I own.

This all started when I bought a Line Magnetic 508IA amp featuring a nice remote with only 3 functions ; Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute. I didn't want to carry an extra remote for fear of damaging or losing it. Also, to change batteries requires a screwdriver.

Since IR remotes work on frequencies, I'd have to buy a couple of instruments to figure out the frequency, do some research to find a device using that same frequency that I could add to fool the remote into controlling the 508IA.

Although the software allows you to add a device which has not had its brand/model entered in their database, the MyHarmony's behavior is such that if you skip functions to enter, it will cease the process. Since my remote only has 3 buttons, I had no choice but to skip some functions which automatically aborted the process.

I managed to add functions for my 508IA onto a different device already entered into my Harmony 650 remote. This is what this tutorial is all about.

Please note the screenshots below weren't taken by me and have been used from other websites purely as a reference, to give you an idea of roughly how things should look like.

1. Firstly, launch the MyHarmony software and log into your account, then choose Devices on the left menu.

[​IMG]

2. Your two options are to either use the profile of a device you've already entered which you're willing to sacrifice a couple of buttons for or to enter a new device. I chose the latter and added my former Arcam AVR350 which already has a database entry.

3. Choose the device you wish to edit and enter the new commands into and select the Add Or Fix A Command option.

[​IMG]

4. Choose the Add A Missing Command function at the bottom and give it a name. I chose to add an "A" as a prefix to the name of the command so I knew it would be one I entered for my 508IA. Also, since they're listed in alphabetical order, adding an "A" as a prefix makes it so the newly entered commands will appear at the top of the list.

I entered "A Volume Up", "A Volume Down", and "A Mute".

5. You will see instructions on how to add the functions. This is, of course, assuming you still have the original remote for your device. As the animation shows, point your original remote straight within a couple of inches to the Harmony's bottom "eye".

Only press once for a function to be captured. No need to press for 2 seconds straight as they suggest. The reason being that if it's for a Volume Up command, for instance, and its button was pressed down for that long, instead of increasing the volume only a notch upwards like your original remote does, it will notch it up several notches instead. Just FYI.

6. You'll see the Harmony remote will say something like Command Captured or something to that effect which means it has learned the command.

7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 for each additional command.

8. Back on the starting/main page of the MyHarmony application, click on your Device, then select Buttons on the left menu and use the drop-down menu on the "Remote Buttons" section to select your device and click Go. Do NOT use the Screen Options drop-down menu for this purpose.

[​IMG]

8. Afterwards, you'll see drawing of your remote with a list of commands on the right, as shown below. Locate yours ("A Volume Up" in my case) and drag it onto the button you want it to be assigned to. Repeat this step for each one of the commands.

[​IMG]

9. Click on the Sync button to sync your device so the new commands are enabled.

That's it! Test out your remote to see if it works. :)

Hopefully, this tutorial will help somebody in a similar situation.

Dave112 likes this.
  2. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

Srat-Mangler,
    Does this remote work well with older stereo and VCR equipment? I have been interested in getting one but I have an early 1990's Zenith and Panasonic VCR and late 1980's Pioneer receiver with CD player control functions. I also have an early 2000's JVC A/V receiver that has a laundry list of functions. Thanks.

3. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I had one of these I have used daily for almost 2 years. I looked for a replacement when several of the buttons started to become unresponsive. I gut the cheaper version of the Harmony Hub. A couple of things about the new remote that are way better than the old one. The lights and screen are cool but it means that it eats batteries. Fortunately I got the rechargeable model but you have to remember to charge it often. I charged it weekly and a few times I had it stop with a low power error and there is NO battery level indicator. With the Hub, the remote is dumb. All the intelligence, and IR beams comes from the hub. The remote just sends button presses to the hub using a radio signal, which means you don't have to point it at anything and the remote operates with a single button battery that's supposed to last a year.

The phone remote is about as useless as you would expect although you can use it to access special rarely used commands. The main advantage of the phone app is that it's a lot easier to use so set up the remote than the desktop app and you don't have to physically attach the remote to sync it. If you are upgrading, it will transfer all your device settings from your old Harmony remote.

Dave112 likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Looks like I forgot to reply to this initially. It'll work with virtually any IR remote.

Dave112 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.