TV show "24" on DVD [Warning: Spoiler]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Roland Stone, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

I've been enjoying this series on DVD, which I missed the first time around. Pretty good story, nicely interwoven, maybe the subplot about the presidential candidate's son is a bit weak, but I'm giving it time.

Then I get to the end of disc four, when the writers pull out the lamest plot device in the history of television. The kidnapped wife escapes her captors, but is injured in a car wreck, which leaves her with, get this . . . amnesia. How stupid is that? Were the writers paying homage to soap opera plots? What's next, an identical evil twin assuming her identity? Jack Ryan waking to find it was all a dream?

Argh! I watched sixteen hours of this, and now I'm stuck with an amnesia storyline. Anyone else groan out load when this happened?

2. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Yeah, that was baaaaad. Still, that was by far the worst gimmick of 24's 1st season, which I thought, overall, was better than the 2nd.

Don't blame the writers & producers for that one. They made it pretty clear in interviews that Fox execs mandated more screen time for Kim & Teri than they'd originally planned.

Mark

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

The amnesia subplot was easily the weakest part of the first season. But to the writers' defense, they didn't know at the time how long the show would last (if it got cancelled early for example) and they were also still getting the hang of the one-hour-per-episode format - which isn't easy to do.

Stick it out - the climax of the series is pretty darn good.

And the second season (which is due out soon on DVD) is much better than the first!

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's the only show I watch....yes, the amnesia thing was a bit "Dallas" like, but I dunno if there is a more compelling show on tv....actually, I don't know, I don't watch anything else!!!! I think Keifer is a great actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.