TV still waiting to see again...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by beccabear67, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore. Thread Starter

So many on my list, for decades sometimes, will they ever be considered worthy? :sigh:

Any of your own to add to the list?

The Phoenix And The Carpet (multi-part BBC series of the late '70s)
    S.W.A.L.K. (Channel 4 series with Prunella Scales as a love comic magazine advice lady)
    A Break In The Sun (multi-part BBC series of the early '80s)
    Jeremy/Barnaby Bear (stop-motion children's series dubbed in Canada/England, origi. title Colargol)
    Freewheelers (adventure show of the late '60s and '70s with Dr.Who/Bugaloos alumni)
    Open All Night (short lived U.S. show, early' 80s)
    The Curiosity Shop (either late '60s or early '70s U.S. network puppet variety type show with Chuck Jones involvement)
    Ghost In The Water (early '80s BBC series)

Some are on youtube in poor home video tape uploads, better than nothing, but of course would be much better in quality sound and image. Some were announced (along with The Moon Stallion which at least was released in Germany) on the BBC UK website just before it shut down and I guess never released? The DVDs of Phoenix And The Carpet are not the tv series I remember but seems to be a slightly later 90 minute remake with larger budget.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and Steve...O like this.
  2. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

The Powers That Be - a hilarious early 90s political comedy with John Forsythe, David Hyde Pierce, etc. that didn't last long except in memory.

The Eddie Capra Mysteries- I was a kid when this was on originally, but remember it being well done. Am curious to see if it holds up.

MikaelaArsenault and beccabear67 like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Out Of This World"- A silly syndicated 1980's sitcom (1980's sitcoms are my sort-of-guilty pleasure). :)

4. beccabear67

Just ordered Codename Icarus, and thinking about The Aphrodite Inheritance. I'm sure I saw an earlier movie with a very similar plot also filmed in Greece but mentioned the Minotaur not Aphrodite. Someone investigating the mysterious disappearance of a family member and an ancient ruin site with a secret underground chamber.

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

• The Goodies: Great U. K. comedy show that was run on PBS in the U. S. for one summer in the 1970s. Great funny show that has a connection to Monty Python's Flying Circus.
    • 8Man: Anime series from the 1960s that some consider the prototype for Robocop. According to Wikipedia, it was removed from television due to the main character "smoking" (the "cigarettes" were actually energy cells used to power 8Man [an android]).
    • Love, American Style: Funny anthology series that is best known today for featuring the first appearance of the show that became Happy Days. From what I understand, the series has been shown on television but I've not been fortunate enough to have a channel on my cable system that runs those channels.
    • Mighty Orbots: Short-lived series from the 1980s featuring five robots (each with a special ability) who could merge into a single giant robot with all of their abilities (a sixth robot acted as they key to activate the giant robot). One of the things that was interesting is that they robots did not get along.
    As far as I know with each of the above some of the episodes have been released on home video but not the entire series.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Love American Style had a great theme, but I watched some of it a few years ago. It was a life-raft for old actors, on their way down/has been comedians who couldn't work Vegan anymore. The scripts had that wink wink early 70's attitude. "adultery?" wink wink--nah, he's just tempted. Or scripts with really silly contrivances. I thought it aged even worse than Laugh In.

7. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

:laugh:

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That's that out of the way town that has The Best Little Organic Whorehouse in Nevada, you never heard of it?o_O

9. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

You Can't Do That on Television

10. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

I will cast another vote for Open All Night, it would be interesting to see if it holds up to my memories.
    Likewise I would enjoy another chance to see "The Paul Hogan Show".

11. beccabear67

I did see an early Goodies recently (the very first one I think) and found it very slowly paced and I'm not usually bothered by that, but I remembered them as being more frenetic. I think they must have picked up the pace as they gained more experience. :laugh:

I remember Love American Style which had Karen Valentine in more than once, she was also a teacher in another series around that time, but would worry it wouldn't stand up well. I picked up a set of a British-U.S. co-production sitcom 'From A Bird's Eye View' of the late '60s early '70s with Pat Finley (whom many remember as Bob Newhart's sister on his first tv series). It was okay but of course the two stewardesses are a bit feather brained.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    JohnO and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

[​IMG]

Duh, I heard that!

Speaking of Canadian children's shows, there are two others I'd also love to own the complete runs of- Size Small, and Today's Special. :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

At least some Love, American Style is on DVD. I think I remember either Antenna or Me-TV showing it a couple years ago.

14. beccabear67

I remember it now with the picture. I think I was slightly too old for it at the time but it was okay. I used to watch 'The Hudson Brothers Razzle-Dazzle etc. etc. Hour' show with Rod Hull and his Emu puppet appearing at least once... did buy the DVD and of course it wasn't nearly as much fun as it had been sitting with a bowl of Honeycombs cereal on the floor in front of the telly in the '70s.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well you could try watching it with the cereal and see if that helps. :)

16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The First Season of the series has been released on DVD but that's about it. What I noticed about the First Season is that the situations were fairly conventional (one episode featured Harrison Ford in a small role). The series got more interesting in the later episodes where the situations became more unusual (such as the one where a man's friend has telepathic abilities but only when eating a certain dish and he helps his friend meet the girl of his dreams). I did catch a few episodes on one of the cable channels but they only ran a small number of episodes (and seemed to run the same episodes again) before dropping the series.

17. I was on that show, once, during the first season.

bartels76 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

19. Son of a gun, didn't know that site existed. I was on episode 5. Two of the cast, Tim and Mike, were friends of mine. I was in the band mentioned, Beaver Pie. We thought it was going to be our big break but it turned out we were basically the punchline for a joke involving Tim.

beccabear67 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Glad I could help. :) The owner of the site might be able to get you a copy of the episode.

kevywevy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. Good suggestion, I'll give it a try. I think that's the only time I played on tv, with the exception of the odd clip on the local news.

22. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

O.K. Crackerby.

A 1965-66 series starring Burl Ives as the richest man in the world, with a catchy theme song that I can't get out of my head.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Of course I had to look it up. :)

Say, that is catchy! I'd watch this show.

24. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

''V'' on HD.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Pfft, I already had VD once, and...

Oh, never mind. :hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.