Twin Peaks Soundtrack Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ad180, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

The Death Waltz press is not ''faulty''. Yes, some copies are warped and/or noisy but unfortunately that is nothing new with vinyl, I've had bad copies from pretty much all of the available pressing plants at some point (even Pallas).

The Rhinos are better value (the price of the DW version is a joke) but it doesn't make them better in all other areas. Technically FWWM spread across 2 lp's on the DW version should be sonically superior, for example.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Alright. Well, I think we might just be arguing semantics a bit right now. I didn't say the DWRC were faulty, I said that inferior or faulty pressings can render a good mastering job moot. The Rhinos sound better by nearly everyone's ear including folks like me that are rather large fans of Death Waltz. And while you are technically correct that a 2LP FWWM should sound better (that was certainly my expectation), it doesn't. The single LP Rhino sound better. So does the original which was also a single LP. They are simply quieter and sound better.

3. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

I got the Twin Peaks "Songs from the Bang Bang Bar" soundtrack in the mail yesterday and played it through. This is a Rhino issue and the vinyl is a shining example of the quality all records should aspire to! Flat, shiny, dead silent, with beautiful mastering. I'm jumping on those other Rhino issues now as well. It's just nice to get a record of this quality in the mail.

Django216 likes this.
  4. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I can confirm the good quality of the Rhino pressing. Every new record should be produced in such high quality - Unfortunately, this is not always the case.
    Until now, I only own the Bang Bang Bar-Album and I am very happy with it.
    Anyhow, the album itself is a real nice listening experience. As a big fan of the Tv-show (and the new, third season) it was clear for me to get this.
    The album has a big variety of songs, but they all share the same mood and create a very special atmosphere.
    I think the album would even work, without knowing the show.

havenz likes this.
  5. misterie

misterie Forum Resident

So the Rhino FWWM doesn't suffer compared to the DW one due to not being a 2xLP like that one was?

If anyone could offer more specific comparisons of FWWM, Rhino vs. DW (or just Rhino in general), would be much appreciated.

If it really does sound as good or better than the DW (which I really think sounds excellent), then I might have to pick it up.

Both my copies from Mondo/DW, of the S1 OST and FWWM have been perfectly fine, no need for replacements - no skips, scratches, warping, etc. But as discussed above it is a gamble, I guess. I wonder if more recently the DW pressings have a better shot of being blunder-free? Seems like a lot of the complaints about defects were earlier on. But I bought the S1 OST more recently, not til Feb '17 (along with the FWWM) and both were fine.

6. Erjot

Erjot New Member

Hi guys. Ive just got my Death Waltz copy of Twin Peaks vinyl - the brown coffee version and its warped.. not sure this was talked about in this thread? It sounds good but its bit frystrating how it looks :(. Have the same issue with Drive OST and Stranger Things from Lakeshore. Does it happen to you a lot? I dont know if the local shop Im buying vinyl is ****ty or is it a common problem nowadays?
    Thanks!
    Cheers from Poland!

7. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

Sadly, it’s a common problem.

8. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

My first copy was the worst warp I have ever seen.
    I exchanged it and second copy was perfect

9. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I can't compare because I don't have the DW version but the Rhino is pretty good. I don't think the sound quality suffers at all.

Technocentral likes this.
  10. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

For anyone in the UK that is interested, in HMV they are selling the original TV soundtrack for £13.99. Fire Walks With Me for £15.99 instore and online. The season 3 Limited Event soundtrack and Music from The Limited Event Series are still full price online but in store earlier as they were putting all the sale stuff out for boxing day I noticed they too were reduced but not by as much. I think the Limited Event soundtrack with Laura on the front was £21.99. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the UK and can get to a store or if you order any vinyl online it is free delivery on vinyl regardless of the price. They had quite a few copies of the original TV soundtrack on display it was up front on the main display. Who knows what else will be discounted. Also the prices should be the same in Fopp. They haven't added the sale section to their website yet but from what I saw which wasn't much they have started changing some of the prices around. Maybe a discount on the new DVD/blu ray??? I hope so lol. Can't wait for boxing day to find out.

11. short_lefty

short_lefty New Member

I know this probably has been said already, but I'm looking for the best pressing of the original sound track. Which one is it? Thanks in advance

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Alsdorf pressed original European issue is the best pressing, of those available currently the reasonably priced Rhino reissue is better than the Death Waltz.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  13. short_lefty

short_lefty New Member

This one? Angelo Badalamenti - Music From Twin Peaks

Isnt the rhino pressing not the original soundtrack?

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

So
    So many copies on sale in Spain on Discogs.

16. marcfeld69

Any preference as regards the European 1st and the Warner US of the same year? I guess it must be better if you say it’s the best pressing g. Certainly cheaper, too.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've never seen a 1990 US vinyl issue, is there one? I've handled several UK/European copies and they've all been excellent quality, the only variation I can recall is that the UK promo has a slightly different sleeve, not just the promo sticker, but I think the pressing is identical though obviously early in the run, I have owned my personal copy since 1991 and nothing has tempted me to replace it. My preference for vinyl would be, original 1990 UK/European, 2017 European, 2016 Death Waltz in that order though personally I'd not bother with the Death Waltz. If you are talking about the CD issue then I only own the UK issue so can't comment on whether it's better than the US.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

19. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

This is one recording I prefer the CD. I think it sounds great and I like the total absence of any surface noise to really get immersed in the magic spell of the music.

20. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Agreed. Both the TV and FWWM soundtracks are fine examples of both digital masterings and digital in general (i.e., they make a strong case for well-mastered CDs as a primary, totally-capable-of-being-as-immersive-as-vinyl listening source).

Robert C, marcfeld69 and ad180 like this.
  21. marcfeld69

I must have got it mixed up with the CD or something. All is clear. I think the DW artwork is just beautiful and worth it for that alone but I'm curious enough to get hold of one of the European versions.

22. marcfeld69

Does the same pattern apply to the Fire Walk w
    With Me vinyl? The original European looks rarer and more expensive.

23. marcfeld69

Link?

24. marcfeld69

Hear, hear.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I haven't played the original FWWM for a while, my memory is that it isn't quite as good as the original TP, at the same time I'm not sure that the DWM FWWM is as bad as their TP although unlike TP I didn't really check any out so don't know, the Warner's reissue is very nice and equal to the TP reissue, so the best value is the Warner's reissue, it's also a decent pressing, that's the one I'd go for if I didn't have a copy, but if you can find a good copy of the DWM and it's not much more money go for it, I think the original is overpriced for what, if any, advantages it may have.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.