Twist & Shout: Beatles Canadian 2nd album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What a great run-down, thanks!

Makes me wonder if that technical, legal delay (I was unaware of before reading your post) for Capitol US to be able to sign The Beatles was not in the end a blessing in disguise for them, given the terrible event of the assassination of J-F Kennedy in November of '63 and how it understandably monopolized the media (canadian included). I imagine hardly no one would have had time for any Mop Tops entertainment on the tube...

2. Yes. Though no one in the house had this album or any of the 45s yet, AFAICR. I imagine some of those songs had some radio airplay around here, especially since my three elder brother and sisters were teens and into pop music and dancing quite a bit. One thing for sure is that very quickly after that first Ed Sullivan appearance, the 6-year old that I was along with my little chums were that much into Beatlemania that overnight we turned raving consumers of those bubble gum trading cards (first in B&W with skinny Beatles, later into vivid colors with chubbier Beatles!) AND we knew and sang some of the melodies (with made-up words of course) to celebrate our card trading meetings! TWTDays...

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I had a CDN stereo copy of The Early Beatles with the rainbow label. I got rid of it several months ago, not realizing it was "rare". Oh well.

4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Don't beat yourself up. It's not well documented - even most Canadian Beatles record collectors don't know about its' rarity.

5. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

socorro, thanks for the interesting rundown ... I've had '80s pressings of these three for years, and was always intrigued that they remained in print. I even just found a mono Beatlemania recently.

Did the US versions of the first three stay in print in Canada after the Canadian versions were returned to the catalog?

6. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Exactly peter...Capitol Canada had already released 6 45s (up to and including IWTHYH) and 2 LPs before the Beatles were seen here on Ed's show. Although I don't recall hearing any airplay of a Beatles tune before She Loves You, my brother and I had the 2 LPs and the SLY 45 so we too were familiar with their earlier hits before we saw them on TV....we both had that "WTF is that new sound" feeling by then. He had obviously heard them before I did as he had the 1st LP early and enticed me into spending the little money I had on the 2nd LP upon its release...SLY was on the LP and I loved that song!

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Was the Ed Sullivan Show broadcast everywhere in Canada? Was it as popular there as in the US?

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks!

I traded it to a local shop along with 90% of my collection of US pressings for several really nice UK original Parlophone pressings. I kept the cleanest copy of each pressing for myself.

With the execption of Magical Mystery Tour, I no longer spin the US albums. I would rather listen to Long Tall Sally or Twist and Shout than any US pressing.

9. I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but we definitely had it here live in South-Western Quebec, on channel 6 (the CBC then). My dad "trained" us watching it (we are French), and it was a popular show with us. I don't remember about the rest of the French community here though. My pals seemed to be familiar with a couple of songs though, anyway.

10. Many new copies of those three albums appeared in stores after Lennon was shot. Whether that was old stock or new, I don't know. Yes, we got the Ed Sullivan show, I can remember watching the last few years on Sunday night with my parents.

Those three albums certainly resonate with older Canadian Beatle fans. I gave a needle drop of "Twist And Shout" to a good friend (and big Beatle fan) a few years back and I thought he was going to start crying. He had all the standard CDs but he said it wasn't the same experience as listening to the songs in the order he grew up with.

apple-richard likes this.
  11. RichieSnare

RichieSnare Well-Known Member

I can not believe a country would have the nerve to butcher the Beatles albums like that. Didn't they know they were tampering with gold? Its bad enough America butchered the albums, but now Canada too? Didn't anybody grow up with the real albums? If not they missed out on the real deal, history in the making!

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Capitol of Canada did not butcher the Beatles albums. Who knew in late 1963 or early '64 that the Beatles would last.

Beatlemania, With The Beatles was a straight copy of With The Beatles. Twist and Shout and Long Tall Sally (though somewhat redundant) broke new material. You have to remember, Capitol of Canada was trying break the group to the Canadian market. Beatlemania was a great 1st album. It wasn't tampered with.

It makes sense that the Twist and Shout album was comprised of songs from the Please Please Me LP along with She Loves You and From Me To You (two singles that were selling at the time).

The first 3 Capitol of Canada albums were tastefully done. The SQ was much better than any US Capitol album of the same material.

I've never read any complaints about Vee Jay's Introducing The Beatles. The Twist and Shout LP is almost similar in content.

13. Avenging Robot

Holy moley, Capitol of Canada makes the first Beatles single and album in North America and you wanna complain Richie? Beatlemania With the Beatles is fantastic in stereo (wish I still had my copy and/or could find a clean copy) that easily beats the UK version. Btw, most countries tampered with the early Beatles albums.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  14. Avenging Robot

They sure did, they were in print (along with the Canadian albums) until the UK catalogue replaced everything in the late 1980's.

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Very interesting!

BTW, I found some Les Classels LPs in a Montreal thrift store this past summer. :)

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Beatles singles didn't start selling in Canada until She Loves You. Is that correct?

Why would Capitol of Canada issue an LP of an unknown group that already had three singles that flopped? It doesn't make financial sense.

It's too bad that the Canadian affiliate had to take marching orders from US Capitol. If they didn't, I wonder if their albums would have been the same as the UK versions.

17. beatstonemargo

And on Monday, the 18th of this month, Capitol Canada will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the release of Love Me Do.
    Capitol Canada A&R man at that time, Paul White, was interviewed this week by the Toronto Star - story to appear on Monday, the 18th, and CBC radio also has something planned to mark the anniversary. See below for some Capitol Canada release information...

http://www.capitol6000.com/

RichieSnare likes this.
  18. RichieSnare

That's like the guy from Decca saying guitar bands are a fad and will be out of style in six months. A million dollar CEO should of known better!

19. beatstonemargo

The A&R man at Capitol Canada at that time, an ex-Brit, was instrumental in attempting to expose them to the Canadian public...he felt that there was something in the music that was appealing, and history has proven him correct.
    http://www.capitol6000.com/paul_white.html

20. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

The number of releases worldwide that differed from the canonical UK Parlophone LPs is so large I would run out of electrons trying to compile a complete list. Here's a sample:

Surfin' Con Los Beatles En Accion (Venezuela)
    Para Ti (Uruguay)
    Los Beatles (Argentina)
    Beatles '65 (Brazil)
    Big Beat Of The Beatles (South Africa, Southern Rhodesia)
    The Beatles In Italy (Italy, Israel)
    The Beatles Beat (Germany)
    The Beatles' Hottest Hits (Denmark)
    The Beatles' Greatest Hits (Sweden)
    The Beatles No. 5 (Japan)
    The Beatles' Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (NZ, OZ, S'pore) & Vol. 2 (OZ, S'pore)
    Por Siempre Beatles (Argentina, Spain, Venezuela, Colombia, Uruguay, Ecuador)

There are literally dozens of these, and they are some of the coolest LPs on the planet.

It wasn't until Sgt. Pepper that track lists, titles, and cover artwork became more or less uniform throughout the world. In fact, I suspect that it was only the immense popularity of the Beatles that afforded the group the power to insist that their music be marketed as they wanted, and which is responsible for the far more uniform marketing practices that prevailed thereafter in the record business.

21. RichieSnare

Yes another Beatles innovation. Seriously they pioneered so much. Thank you for the explanation.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Really? Easy for you to say that 50 years later.

23. RichieSnare

Anybody with brain cells could of seen that 50 SECONDS after the Beatles audition. They were a gold mine. Too bad Decca sealed up the entrance and gave the mine away to EMI for free.

24. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Sure, it's easy to say that now, but why do you think Capitol Canada released 4 Lps in 8 months? They wanted to cash in while the group was hot. Even at the EMI U.K. mothership , the pace of the releases was crazy. From 1963 to 1965, they released Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale, Help, and Rubber Soul. All of this while touring more or less non-stop. Why would any sane person, let alone a record company exec, expect this particular gravy train to last? And indeed, by the Autumn of 1969, when they finished recording Abbey Road, the band couldn't stand to be around one another and were finished in any meaningful sense.

25. RichieSnare

But the train is still full steam ahead today, 55 years later! That really says something!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.